What's in a name?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

What's in a name?

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

Names have their own meaning, and there is often a specific reason a parent has for choosing one for a newborn child they have.

In the Bible, a name may be changed to more accurately reflect a new situation.

What can we learn from the use and meaning of personal names in scripture?

Prince
Scholar

Post #31

Post by Prince »

onewithhim wrote:
Prince wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Prince wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Prince wrote:All of Gods children know His name. Only Gods children know His name.

Would you consider yourself one of God's children? If so, will you share with us what God's name is?
Doesn't scripture say;

"The Lord God does nothing without revealing His secrets to His servants the prophets."

"They search for me day after day and desire to know my ways as if they are a nation that is just and has not abandoned the law of their God."

"No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born from above."

He who does the will of my heavenly Father hears my voice.

The man who hears my voice follows me and keeps my commandments.
OK. But that didn't answer the question. What do you say God's name is?
The answer is in the works of the son, the servant of God.

As the Lord says;

"I shall change and purify the lips of the people so they will all call upon the name of the Lord to serve Him with one accord."

The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His works.
You still did not answer the question as to what God's name is.

I gave you the scripture that shows you the way to know His name. It is revealed to those who are worthy.

As the son of man says;

"I have made known your name to those you have given me from the world. They were yours and you gave them to me and they have kept your word."

onewithhim
Savant

Post #32

Post by onewithhim »

Prince wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Prince wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Prince wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Prince wrote:All of Gods children know His name. Only Gods children know His name.

Would you consider yourself one of God's children? If so, will you share with us what God's name is?
Doesn't scripture say;

"The Lord God does nothing without revealing His secrets to His servants the prophets."

"They search for me day after day and desire to know my ways as if they are a nation that is just and has not abandoned the law of their God."

As the Lord says;

"I shall change and purify the lips of the people so they will all call upon the name of the Lord to serve Him with one accord."

The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His works.

I gave you the scripture that shows you the way to know His name. It is revealed to those who are worthy.

As the son of man says;

"I have made known your name to those you have given me from the world. They were yours and you gave them to me and they have kept your word."
Indeed, and I know what His name is. If you are worthy, you can tell others. So what is His name?

Prince
Scholar

Post #33

Post by Prince »

onewithhim wrote:
Prince wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Prince wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Prince wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

Doesn't scripture say;

As the Lord says;

As the son of man says;

Indeed, and I know what His name is. If you are worthy, you can tell others. So what is His name?

His name is spoken by the righteous One and declared by the son of man.

The son of man came eating and drinking and people say he is a drunkard and friends of sinners.

My sheep hear my voice he says.

So you must know the name.

God's name is a mystery to the wicked but salvation to the righteous.

liamconnor
Prodigy

Re: What's in a name?

Post #34

Post by liamconnor »

Checkpoint wrote: Names have their own meaning, and there is often a specific reason a parent has for choosing one for a newborn child they have.

In the Bible, a name may be changed to more accurately reflect a new situation.

What can we learn from the use and meaning of personal names in scripture?

this is a very broad question.

Has the current dialogue become specific enough to warrant a new thread? Cause I just read a few of the latest posts and I don't get how they relate to the OP.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #35

Post by onewithhim »

Prince wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Prince wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Prince wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Prince wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

Doesn't scripture say;

As the Lord says;

As the son of man says;

His name is spoken by the righteous One and declared by the son of man.

The son of man came eating and drinking and people say he is a drunkard and friends of sinners.

My sheep hear my voice he says.

So you must know the name.

God's name is a mystery to the wicked but salvation to the righteous.
Well, Prince, I will assume that you don't know the name, since you can't tell us what it is.

Prince
Scholar

Post #36

Post by Prince »

[Replying to post 35 by onewithhim]

Oh, I know His name and I keep His word.

The secrets of the Lord are meant for the righteous who earn their meaning. One doesn't just reveal God's secrets to anyone.

Blessed is he who hears the word of the Lord and keeps it.

The righteous are blessed and the holy know God's secrets.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #37

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Prince wrote: [Replying to post 35 by onewithhim]

Oh, I know His name and I keep His word.The secrets of the Lord are meant for the righteous who earn their meaning. One doesn't just reveal God's secrets to anyone.

So you're saying you know God's name but it's a secret. Fair enough, I wouldn't want to pressure anyone to violate their conscience.

Be well,

JW

ROMANS 10:13,14 - NWT
For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.� However, how will they call on him if they have not put faith in him? How, in turn, will they put faith in him about whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent out? Just as it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!�

PSALMS 102:21 - ASV
That men may declare the name of Jehovah in Zion, And his praise in Jerusalem
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #38

Post by onewithhim »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Prince wrote: [Replying to post 35 by onewithhim]

Oh, I know His name and I keep His word.The secrets of the Lord are meant for the righteous who earn their meaning. One doesn't just reveal God's secrets to anyone.

So you're saying you know God's name but it's a secret. Fair enough, I wouldn't want to pressure anyone to violate their conscience.

Be well,

JW

ROMANS 10:13,14 - NWT
For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.� However, how will they call on him if they have not put faith in him? How, in turn, will they put faith in him about whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent out? Just as it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!�

PSALMS 102:21 - ASV
That men may declare the name of Jehovah in Zion, And his praise in Jerusalem
It looks like God doesn't want his name to be a secret.

evilsorcerer1
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by evilsorcerer1 »

What I've found about names; many names have meanings and many times I think things happen as a direct result of all the lies in the world. For instance, when people are looking for a code the code is really all the lies that are happening and have happened throughout history. Adam and Eve are supposed to be a couple but I think actually Adam and Eden are more similar. I also try to make the words mean what I want them to mean. Adam, mankind, before creation dirt that hadn't been watered. Eden also similar to heaven. The rivers flowed out of eden (heaven) and watered the earth. From word studies I've also learned the garden of eden is blasphemy because we are physical matter and 'god' as an idea in our darkness is the only spirit. Eden is the sky but the closest planet is Venus which is 25 million miles away. So Jesus couldn't have rose in a body, there's nowhere to go. Jesus-upside down is similar to sons of. Although this may not seem a valid method it seems likely to me at one time words were not only written left to right, right to left and top to bottom, but also bottom to top. Sons of would mean he symbolized all children of god. Jesus wasn't a God and not only that I think not a real person. From what I've heard scriptures had been studied in great detail for years and I think some believed they had found a code. The reason is there's code everywhere in the world except mostly it's just recognizing lies are everywhere. I think people thought the OT had been more of a symbolic book and that the characters in it never existed but were written as a guide and that the prophecy was that there would be be an apocalypse when the last generation of 'his children' had been born. And I think they wrote the book with Jesus being the symbol of that whole generation. But I think that day already passed and now we're just waiting for all people to be born for the end of the world, whatever that may be. But there are too many inconsistencies with the story, just like in the new testament. But I have some topics I'd like to discuss. When many animals are born they're born inside an egg, and many times aren't alive until they reach full maturity. But is there something in DNA of all living things that if it dies it can never be reborn? In other words if that chicken egg was crushed before it was actually carrying a living thing it wouldn't matter, but if a human baby were actually not alive in the womb (for some strange reason like a person has to receive air in their lungs to become a living being after they exit the womb) then it would have to be possible if that baby were killed to be reborn because no one will escape being created that isn't supposed to.
The god that Abraham heard telling him to kill was the same one that told him to write the Bible, the one that everyone hears, the little voice that is ourselves. Jesus, the serpent, they all had something in common and that is they were not holy sacrifices but scapegoats so people could spread false religions and create wars. Jesus, the serpent, they all had something in common and that is they were not holy sacrifices but scapegoats so people could spread false religions and create wars. The new testament claims the Jews were in an uproar because Jesus claimed to be a man but in the old testament it was stated God walked in the garden with people. The serpent was man's belief he hadn't blasphemed and although the author was claiming Adam and Eve were telling God a lie, in fact they were saying 'God the devil tricked me', God being themselves and the devil being God. So man has bruised the snakes heel in all the wars it has waged. The prophecy about the two witnesses laying dead in the street never happened, and the two witnesses were symbolic only one was John the Baptist and John the author of Revelation. When John the Baptist (a symbol) died his symbolism lived on through his tribe (Levi). That's why Jesus said if you can believe it it is Elijah. And when John said one greater than me is coming he meant God, and so the people that wrote the new testament probably descended from scholars of the OT. But from studying I found it is written about the tribe of Judah ' The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler's staff from his descendants, until the coming of the one to whom it belongs, the one whom all nations will honor.' I think the connection was to Judah who gave his scepter to Tamar as a iou and meant there would always be a continued bloodline until the one called the one true god, the one and only spirit, returns for the apocalypse. But I've studied hard and have a lot of solid information on the subject. For one the symbols seemed to come in a particular order according to a blessing from their father Jacob, but I can discuss that later. But Judah, Levi, and Simeon were three of the main ones. John the Baptist was from the tribe of Levi as was the author of Revelation. And I believe when Moses and Elijah in the garden with Jesus and his disciples (one Peter and one James and John the sons of Zebedee. It may have symbolized a supposed passing of power to them. But the other tribe many would say was Simeon because he was first in the blessing and shared the blessing with his brother Levi. So the similarities between Simeon and some disciples like Judas Iscariot. Jesus said to Peter 'get behind me satan' and although the Bible says 'Satan entered judas' it I believe was an analogy of how the world looked at them as evil. And it would be considered worse by many to believe an anonymous author over the savior. Also it was written Peter betrayed Jesus 3 times and also judas betrayed Jesus, but actually because children of God waited eagerly for him to return. For that reason it was a symbol of eagerness for the return of the holy spirit. And the fact that Jesus was a symbol who never existed and didn't get hurt it was different. Also Jesus overturned the tables in the synagogue and judas threw the 30 pieces of silver on the floor in disgust at the feet of those who he betrayed Jesus to. And Judas was called Judas son of Simon and Iscariot would refer to Elisha the follower of Elijah. This is from 2 Kings 2;

Elisha said, “Please let a double portion of your spirit be upon me.�

10 So he said, “You have asked a hard thing. Nevertheless, if you see me when I am taken from you, it shall be so for you; but if not, it shall not be so.� 11 Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

12 And Elisha saw it, and he cried out, “My father, my father, the chariot of Israel and its horsemen!� So he saw him no more. And he took hold of his own clothes and tore them into two pieces. 13 He also took up the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him, and went back and stood by the bank of the Jordan. 14 Then he took the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him, and struck the water, and said, “Where is the Lord God of Elijah?� And when he also had struck the water, it was divided this way and that; and Elisha crossed over.
So Elijah's spirit actually rested on Elijah and Elisha called him father. And he took his mantle or his 'job, family blessing since I think Elijah had no children'. And Iscariot is very likely a play on words Ish is man and cariot would be chariot. But after Judas' suicide Simon Peter built the church apparently and his spirit lived on. So it seems the NT was an attempt to say the sons of God would be given a spirit when the last one had come to him which would trigger the apocalypse. The problem is according to the OT God walked and talked with them but they rejected him. And there is no repentance because in theory the spirit of god knows once a person tries to fight with him there is no forgiveness. No one could ever repent of that, and the desire to get a new spirit is blasphemy and no one is a spirit but god. So the garden of Eden I think is everything outside of the atmosphere (or possibly inside, the first people may have been awestruck by the darkness and stars. But I think the tree of life may have been stars etc and the flaming sword circling blocking the way was the sun. Also the garden of eden may be blocked because of beliefs. Venus, the closest planet, is 25 million miles away. So if Jesus was real where did he go? The only god would be so so far away, and to think all this "everything" was probably created in an instant and will be destroyed in an instant.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #40

Post by Benoni »

God has many names and they are not titles they are "names". The first name of God in the Bible was Elohim NOT Jehovah