Is the Holy Spirit just an aspect of God?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Post #1

Post by polonius »

In Catholic dogma, when did the Holy Spirit become a "person" of the Trinity such as the Father and Son?

Claire Evans
Guru

Post #151

Post by Claire Evans »

onewithhim wrote:
Claire Evans wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Claire Evans wrote: If you had consulted the article, you would have seen which articles are used for a proper name such as God. The translator takes the liberty which article to use for aesthetic purposes, if at all, because any article just improves the aesthetics and not the meaning.

What is this nonsense? The "L'Oreal rule of grammar"? ... Translators (at least competent ones) don't throw words on the page to make pretty (aesthetic) patterns, translation in principle, follows the rules of grammar of both the source and the target languages. I don't speak or read Greek or or ancient Hebrew but I know enough to know the use of an article in these languages (as indeed is the case with English) does have an impact on the meaning of a text. "Aesthetic purposes" indeed!

JW

Take note that they don't make it aesthetic, in order for it to make sense to the English reader, and compromise the meaning in the first place. That is why some use the literal translation, which is "a" and others "the".

Are you a polytheist?
The rules are quite specific as to whether or not to use "the" with a noun. Pay attention, will you?

And you KNOW JW isn't a polytheist! Who IS the polytheist? Could it be the one who calls Jesus God, the Father God and the H.S. God? THREE GODS!!?? You are the polytheist.
Quite frankly, I've hard enough of your disrespect. You say I'm superficial, imply that I'm simple minded and ask me to pay attention when I'm doing my utmost to have an informative debate.

Just because I don't agree with you, does not mean you have to put me down. Imagine Jesus treating people like you have when people asked Him questions when He preached! I will not indulge with someone who has such un-Christ-like behaviour. Do not address me again. Obviously I'm beneath you. I will not stand for your aggression anymore.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #152

Post by onewithhim »

Claire Evans wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Claire Evans wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Claire Evans wrote: If you had consulted the article, you would have seen which articles are used for a proper name such as God. The translator takes the liberty which article to use for aesthetic purposes, if at all, because any article just improves the aesthetics and not the meaning.

What is this nonsense? The "L'Oreal rule of grammar"? ... Translators (at least competent ones) don't throw words on the page to make pretty (aesthetic) patterns, translation in principle, follows the rules of grammar of both the source and the target languages. I don't speak or read Greek or or ancient Hebrew but I know enough to know the use of an article in these languages (as indeed is the case with English) does have an impact on the meaning of a text. "Aesthetic purposes" indeed!

JW

Take note that they don't make it aesthetic, in order for it to make sense to the English reader, and compromise the meaning in the first place. That is why some use the literal translation, which is "a" and others "the".

Are you a polytheist?
The rules are quite specific as to whether or not to use "the" with a noun. Pay attention, will you?

And you KNOW JW isn't a polytheist! Who IS the polytheist? Could it be the one who calls Jesus God, the Father God and the H.S. God? THREE GODS!!?? You are the polytheist.
Quite frankly, I've hard enough of your disrespect. You say I'm superficial, imply that I'm simple minded and ask me to pay attention when I'm doing my utmost to have an informative debate.

Just because I don't agree with you, does not mean you have to put me down. Imagine Jesus treating people like you have when people asked Him questions when He preached! I will not indulge with someone who has such un-Christ-like behaviour. Do not address me again. Obviously I'm beneath you. I will not stand for your aggression anymore.
Jesus called a spade a spade. When the Pharisees misrepresented God and spoke against him and thought they were just peachy in their relationship with God and told Jesus he had a demon, etc., etc., he told them exactly what he thought. In fact he was even more to the point---he called them a bunch of snakes.

You evade questions (see post 145 above) and mislead with your copy-and-paste ideas of some wacko theologist or clergyman and present yourself as an authority when you have little understanding of what you're talking about. It would help a lot if you would answer questions, but you have a way of avoiding them. I would bid you an enthusiastic "fare well." I can better spend my time elsewhere.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #153

Post by Checkpoint »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 140 by Checkpoint]

Imagine......asking questions but unwilling to examine a thorough study by tigger. These "discussions" are getting ridiculous. Tigger has provided an extensive examination of John 1:1c but none here are really interested enough to check it out. Well, Jesus expects us to tell the truth, and that's all we can do. It's as the old adage goes: "You can lead a horse to water...."
Ah yes, we can imagine many things, and not all are true or become reality.

Imagine Checkpoint actually does check it out. Imagine Checkpoint is helped by what is found, and is impressed at the evidence presented.

Then imagine Checkpoint checking what some others have put together, as part of the mission of being a checkpoint searcher.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #154

Post by Checkpoint »

tigger2 wrote: [Replying to post 127 by Checkpoint]

"May continue"??

Anyone can see the Greek order is "God was the Word", and that the Interlinear translates it accordingly, unlike so many translations.

Why did John write it that way?

Why do all translations, other that the Concordant version, not follow the Greek and its Interlinear order?
Word order in NT Greek is basically not important. Unlike modern English, the NT Greek word endings show the part of speech, and, therefore the Greek writers could (and did) use the word order in any way they wished. As for predicate nouns (such as theos in John 1:1c), it is fairly common for them to be at the beginning of the clause. Often, if one nominative noun in a clause with subject and predicate noun (like John 1:1c) has the article and one does not, the one without will be the predicate noun regardless of its place in the clause. This is not always the case so context must also be considered.

If you would finish Part C. of the Seven Lessons, you will see this more clearly. If you will just stick to the lessons through Lesson E, you could be the first ever to discuss this properly with me. I would love to answer any further questions based on the Seven (or Five) Lessons.
I owe you an apology, tigger2.

For some unknown reason I missed this post 128 of yours when you posted it, and have only just now discovered it.

So I now realise why I produced your reaction and that of onewithhim.

I will continue my reading and consideration of your work. But I do find I have a much reduced concentration span time than previously, so it will take longer than you may have expected.

And I am also trying to scan at least one other thesis on John 1 plus post on this forum and live my life outside it.

I will get back to you in due course with comments and/or questions.

Please bear with me in the meantime.

From what I have read so far, I will say I like the way you write and appreciate how you support it with what appear to be suitable examples and quotes.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #155

Post by paarsurrey1 »

The Holy spirit is an angel of God and as such a creation of God, it is not an aspect of God.
Regards

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #156

Post by Checkpoint »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Is the Holy Spirit just an aspect of God?

The Holy spirit is an angel of God and as such a creation of God, it is not an aspect of God.
Regards

God is holy and God is Spirit. So, God is the Holy Spirit.

2 Corinthians 3:

17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #157

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Checkpoint wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: Is the Holy Spirit just an aspect of God?

Regards
God is holy and God is Spirit. So, God is the Holy Spirit.
2 Corinthians 3:

17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.
Sorry, God is not a spirit. Spirits are creations of God:

[17:86] And they ask thee concerning the soul. Say, ‘The soul* is by the command of my Lord; and of the knowledge thereof you have been given but a little.’
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... 7&verse=85
*Spirit

Right, please?
Regards