Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

What is God?

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

What is God?
Is God not beyond definition?
Why do we argue about the existence of that which is beyond definition?

Clownboat
Savant

Re: What is God?

Post #61

Post by Clownboat »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 39 by Clownboat]

I take it you don't think the world is a wonderful place.
Well, there is a jump that Evil Knievel wouldn't have made.

You said: "to my mind the world and everything in it and above it is the evidence (for a god).

So I ask you again: "Please explain how fatal familial insomnia is evidence for your god concept."

Can you do that?
If you cannot, will you amend your statement?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #62

Post by Clownboat »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 54 by Willum]

How much more proof do you need the creation is more than enough . Because you can't weigh and measure God doesn't mean God doesn't exist. God is intangible ; "courage of the courageous, the I am in every being, consciousness, the silent prayer, the beginning and the end, memory, prudence, patience, splendor, resolution, victory". (gleaned from the Bhagavad Gita aka the song of God)
Intangibles cannot be weighed and measured but undeniable exist. There is no end in this world of God's presence. These are manifestations of the spirit. I know these things. This spirit is God.

have you read much sacred literature and still don't understand?
Have you ever considered that there is nothing sacred about the literature you are reading and then calling sacred?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #63

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 58 by paarsurrey1]

So you agree the Bible is worthless as a descriptive document?
If one knows that narrators, scribes, and the clergy have manipulated with it and with this caution in mind one studies it, one could find useful things in the Bible, nevertheless.
Regards

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #64

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Clownboat wrote:
dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 54 by Willum]

How much more proof do you need the creation is more than enough . Because you can't weigh and measure God doesn't mean God doesn't exist. God is intangible ; "courage of the courageous, the I am in every being, consciousness, the silent prayer, the beginning and the end, memory, prudence, patience, splendor, resolution, victory". (gleaned from the Bhagavad Gita aka the song of God)
Intangibles cannot be weighed and measured but undeniable exist. There is no end in this world of God's presence. These are manifestations of the spirit. I know these things. This spirit is God.

have you read much sacred literature and still don't understand?
Have you ever considered that there is nothing sacred about the literature you are reading and then calling sacred?
there is nothing sacred about the literature
What is bad about taking "Bhagavad Gita" as sacred, please? It doesn't entail that one should take everything in it blindly. Why should one be biased about a book? One could take everything reasonable in it and leave that is not reasonable. No harm in it, please.
Regards

Clownboat
Savant

Post #65

Post by Clownboat »

What is bad about taking "Bhagavad Gita" as sacred, please?
The same thing that is wrong about crediting anything to the gods.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

Human history shows us that god concepts have been a reason for committing all sorts of atrocities. This is what makes it so useful to the rulers.

For example, pretend that you were a shaman from hundreds of years ago and your rulers wanted the land and women of the nearby tribe. All you have to do is to tell the common people that their god or gods want them to have the land of their neighbors and bam, you have humans willing to die so you can get what you want.

This is what is bad about believing that any text is sacred.
Why should one be biased about a book?
Be more specific please. This question seems nonsensical at the moment.
One could take everything reasonable in it and leave that is not reasonable. No harm in it, please.
This is not what you are arguing for here though. You are clearly arguing for claiming that some texts are sacred.

sa·cred
ˈs�krəd/Submit
adjective
connected with God (or the gods) or dedicated to a religious purpose and so deserving veneration.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #66

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 65 by Clownboat]

its not the texts that are sacred its what they are talking about which is sacred. love compassion mercy forgiveness these are the sort of things which are sacred. Sacred scripture simply point to these things. Its not the words that are sacred its the values.
a simple act of kindness is sacred. Scripture's encourage what is best in humanity to come out. Its the best of humanity that is sacred. do you get my drift? Scriptures in particularly Jesus in the Gospels encourage the best and discourage the worst . Face this reality, sacred scriptures exist for a good reason. People . it is good for people to be exhorted by sacred scripture to do good.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #67

Post by paarsurrey1 »

[Replying to post 65 by Clownboat]
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
Is it from science, please?
Regards

William
Savant

Post #68

Post by William »

paarsurrey1 wrote: [Replying to post 65 by Clownboat]
Regards

No - it is from logical observation...which is a kind of science I suppose... :)

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #69

Post by paarsurrey1 »

William wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: [Replying to post 65 by Clownboat]
Regards

No - it is from logical observation...which is a kind of science I suppose... :)
logical observation...which is a kind of science
One is wrong and sees things topsy-turvy, a big supposition.
Logic is sure a discipline of Philosophy . Science loans it from Philosophy and cannot get going without it. Right , please?
Philosophy generated Mathematics and Mathematics generated Science, one should recollect, please.
Regards

Clownboat
Savant

Post #70

Post by Clownboat »

its not the texts that are sacred its what they are talking about which is sacred.

Thank you for offering your beliefs. Can you show that they should be considered?
love compassion mercy forgiveness these are the sort of things which are sacred.
Thank you for offering your beliefs. I however know these things to be human constructs, so you are unable to fool me.
Sacred scripture simply point to these things.
So now we are back to the scriptures being sacred. You are hard to follow with all your jumping around.
Its not the words that are sacred its the values.
Just a second ago, it was the scriptures that were sacred. Now we are back to the values.
Whatever... It is obvious that you personally find something sacred. Until you can show that you speak the truth, I will not worry about it.
a simple act of kindness is sacred.
False. Being kind does not require the gods and is therefore not sacred.
Scripture's encourage what is best in humanity to come out.
This brush is obviously way too broad and is therefore not true.
Some scriptures are lovely, some are not. You can't just stick your head in the sand about the evils.
Its the best of humanity that is sacred.
Holy crap! Now humanity is sacred. You are all over the board and you're coming across very confused.
do you get my drift?
You are confused about what is sacred.
Scriptures in particularly Jesus in the Gospels encourage the best and discourage the worst.
I agree that much of what Jesus is quoted to have said is good stuff, but my head is not buried in the sand about the rest of it. Sorry.
Face this reality, sacred scriptures exist for a good reason.
It is painfully obvious that you hold this belief, but you are not doing well at showing that your words are true and should be considered.
Flat earthers hold a belief about the shape of the earth, but like you, they don't fair well at showing themselves to be believing in things that are true, but they go on a believing anyways.
It is good for people to be exhorted by sacred scripture to do good.
Here is the thing you are not considering though. We can be good without scripture, and sense scriptures can also contain bad with the good, they cannot be a trusted source.