If the Bible said people evolved from animals...

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

If the Bible said people evolved from animals...

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

A question to Creationists:

If the Bible said people evolved from animals, would you be an evolutionist? Would the fact that the theory of evolution agrees with your holy book be enough to sway your belief in favor of evolution?

Savant

Re: If the Bible said people evolved from animals...

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Justin108 wrote: A question to Creationists:

If the Bible said people evolved from animals, would you be an evolutionist? Would the fact that the theory of evolution agrees with your holy book be enough to sway your belief in favor of evolution?
It would be really difficult for me, because if the evolution theory is true and all species have evolved from single species, I believe it should be seen easily in nature, because there is allegedly over millions of species. I understand that it is claimed to be slow process, but when there is a lot of species, there should be also lot of opportunities. And there just doesn’t seem to be any chance for animals have as great differences by evolution, as it is claimed to be (marine animals to land animals for example).

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 1 by Justin108]

Creationist is a term that does not designate persons opposed to evolution.

There are numerous Christians who believe in creation but accept that evolution, as described by scientists, MIGHT be the mechanism by which God brought his creative project to a climax.

I say MIGHT only because the scientific evidence is still lacking.

If the question is merely, "If the Bible told you so, would you believe" the answer is most certainly no.

And that for most people. Even the most unthinking and uncalculating people believe because some parts of the bible strike them as deeply true, and, I think, not without evidence.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Justin108]
Creationist is a term that does not designate persons opposed to evolution.
Everyone hold onto your hats, but I'm actually going to agree with liam on this one.

There are so many flavors of Christian it's hard to pin down what any person believes simply because they label themselves as a Christian or even a Creationist.

Maybe a better term for the OP would be a Bible Literalist. i.e. Someone who believes every word of the Bible is true, as written. You probably still won't pin any two of them down to proclaim exactly the same complete set of beliefs (given the contradictions in the writings), but if there were only one sentence that clearly said "evolution" I think you would have them.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #5

Post by Bust Nak »

liamconnor wrote: Creationist is a term that does not designate persons opposed to evolution...
And the Swastika does not designate far-right nationalism or anti-Semitism, but those are the meanings that's since been strongly attached with it. Good luck trying to bring the term back when it's got so much negativity associated with it. Meanwhile I will continue to treat "creationist" without further qualification as someone who opposes evolution.

Monta
Guru

Post #6

Post by Monta »

Bust Nak wrote:
liamconnor wrote: Creationist is a term that does not designate persons opposed to evolution...
And the Swastika does not designate far-right nationalism or anti-Semitism, but those are the meanings that's since been strongly attached with it. Good luck trying to bring the term back when it's got so much negativity associated with it. Meanwhile I will continue to treat "creationist" without further qualification as someone who opposes evolution.
Certainly, to each his own.

I am Christian and I do not believe that God creted the world in six days.
What does that make me?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #7

Post by Bust Nak »

Monta wrote:
Bust Nak wrote:

What does that make me?
Theistic evolutionist.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by rikuoamero »

Bust Nak wrote:
Monta wrote:
Bust Nak wrote:

What does that make me?
Theistic evolutionist.
I'm going to have to correct you on this one Bust Nak. At the moment, I can't recall Monta's stance on evolution. What you did there smacks of a false dichotomy to me. Monta says no to the six days created world, but this does not necessarily mean that s/he accepts evolution. Monta could believe something separate to both evolution and young earth creationism.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

bluethread
Savant

Post #9

Post by bluethread »

Bust Nak wrote:
So, is it therefore also justified to require all who accept the concept of evolution, based on current bacterial studies, to defend a specific evolutionary progression, i.e. dinosaurs were reptiles or dinosaurs were birds? Does the entire theory collapse, if man evolved from pigs or dolphins? If all of mankind did not evolve from a single tribe in what is now Sudan, does that collapse the theory?

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by liamconnor »

Bust Nak wrote:
Well, you'll be behind the times. But if you do not care to be precise and address members of this actual forum, you are free to do so.