Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Assuming the supernatural is possible

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

Would assuming the supernatural is possible suddenly mean that the supernatural is probable? Or would supernatural occurrences still be highly unlikely events?

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #2

Post by Mithrae »

They'd be comparable to a winning lottery ticket. (Though of course with a lot less resting on the outcome.)

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Assuming the supernatural is possible

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 1 by Justin108]

If supernatural events were possible, nothing could be known. The supernatural could explain any and all anomalous data.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

bjs
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by bjs »

Most orthodox Christians have treated miracles as possible but exceedingly uncommon. The biblical writers seemed to suggest that miracles recorded in the Bible were noteworthy in part because of how rare such events were.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Post #5

Post by Inigo Montoya »

[Replying to post 4 by bjs]

Or because, without miracles, you may as well be reading the Burger King menu...

bjs
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by bjs »

[Replying to Inigo Montoya]

On the surface this statement makes no sense. In what sense is ethical and philosophical teaching, regardless of the presence of miracles, similar to a fast food menu?
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Post #7

Post by Inigo Montoya »

bjs wrote: [Replying to Inigo Montoya]

On the surface this statement makes no sense. In what sense is ethical and philosophical teaching, regardless of the presence of miracles, similar to a fast food menu?

Granted it was a bit tongue in cheek, a passing comment focusing on " biblical writers seemed to suggest that miracles recorded in the Bible were noteworthy in part because of how rare such events were." In other words, a miracle is noteworthy when compared to any mundane occurrence, and were the Bible authors disinclined to mention any, the stories would be wholly unremarkable, as a menu might.

The jokes work better when I don't have to explain them, but I'm pointing out the silliness implied in miracles being recorded on the grounds that they're "noteworthy" and not the backbone of the entire faith.

bluethread
Savant

Post #8

Post by bluethread »

Probability is a statistical calculation comparing a number of like kind occurrences to the total number of possibilities in a given universe. So, are you setting the universe as all possible events, or just some possible events?

According to a gallop poll 71% of people in these United States claim to have had a paranormal experience.
Last edited by bluethread on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by rikuoamero »

Mithrae wrote: They'd be comparable to a winning lottery ticket. (Though of course with a lot less resting on the outcome.)
How does this make sense? We know for a fact, it is beyond dispute, that someone wins the lottery. Open up a newspaper and there'll be a segment somewhere saying Person A has just won millions.

Miracles though? Do you have an actual miracle to show the class?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: Assuming the supernatural is possible

Post #10

Post by rikuoamero »

McCulloch wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Justin108]

If supernatural events were possible, nothing could be known. The supernatural could explain any and all anomalous data.
Exactly. This is one of my main reasons against the whole concept of miracles. We have liamconnor in other threads saying that since resurrections don't happen naturally, therefore the natural sciences are out when trying to test to see if resurrections can even happen.
However, if we just assume the supernatural exists, then hey presto! He can say the story is true.
Well...where do we go from there? At what point after I have done the same as him can I say to a person "No, I'm not going to accept your claim that a wizard did it"?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense