Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Lying for Jesus

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

To any Christian apologist: if you knew that if you lied to a person about Christianity then that person would convert and be saved, would you lie to her or him?

liamconnor
Prodigy

Re: Lying for Jesus

Post #2

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

No.

Of course not.

I would trust in God to convert that person by truth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

I don't know that I see myself as a "Christian apologist" but I am one of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES... to answer your question, no, lying violates Christian law and principle and even if it didn't I hate lies and would never lie to someone to convert them.

If my religion depended upon lies to gain "converts" I wouldn't belong it it.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Jagella wrote: To any Christian apologist: if you knew that if you lied to a person about Christianity then that person would convert and be saved, would you lie to her or him?
There is a word, propaganda, in the English language.

Wikipedia
Propaganda
Propaganda is information that is not objective and is used primarily to influence an audience and further an agenda, often by presenting facts selectively to encourage a particular synthesis or perception, or using loaded language to produce an emotional rather than a rational response to the information that is presented.[1] Propaganda is often associated with material prepared by governments, but activist groups and companies can also produce propaganda.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda

The word propaganda however has it's origin in the Catholic order, "Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith." This order considered the propagation of the Christian faith to be paramount, and that since the end justified the means, all means were considered appropriate. That would include lying and murder.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Mithrae »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: This order considered the propagation of the Christian faith to be paramount, and that since the end justified the means, all means were considered appropriate. That would include lying and murder.
Do you have a source for that?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Jagella »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

No.

Of course not.

I would trust in God to convert that person by truth.
Thanks for the answer. I should have asked if you knew that the only way to convert a person was to lie to that person, then would you lie?

Lying to do the Bible god's will may not be as unorthodox as you might think. Rahab the harlot lied to save the Israelite spies, and Hebrews 11:31 lauds her act:
By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.
I have known Christians to lie to propagate their faith. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society and other creationist groups will lie about the Theory of Evolution in an attempt to disprove it. Lawrence Krauss has made known William Lane Craig's lies. Martin Luther said:
What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church ... a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them.
The Bible tells us in Romans 3:7--8:
If my falsehood enhances God's truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Jagella »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

I don't know that I see myself as a "Christian apologist" but I am one of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES... to answer your question, no, lying violates Christian law and principle and even if it didn't I hate lies and would never lie to someone to convert them.

Then you better get ready to leave the Jehovah's Witnesses. I know for a fact the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society lies to gain converts. You don't need to believe me and can prove yourself that they lie. Get a copy of Life: How Did it Get Here?. In a deceitful attempt to disprove the Theory of Evolution, this book deliberately misquotes scientists. All you need to do is check the citations in Life: How Did it Get Here? and compare what that book says to the original sources. You will see as I did that Life: How Did it Get Here? deliberately takes what scientists say out of context. That's lying.

I showed these facts to two Jehovah's Witnesses. They remain Jehovah's Witnesses to this day. Oh, the power of blind faith!

If you distribute Life: How Did it Get Here? or any other similar Watchtower materials claiming it to be factual, then you are lying.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

Jagella wrote: To any Christian apologist: if you knew that if you lied to a person about Christianity then that person would convert and be saved, would you lie to her or him?
No one can be converted to the truth by a lie...they can only be converted to the lie. Neither can we be saved by our own choice to believe something as salvation is only by grace from GOD through faith in Christ...a process in which there can be no lie.

There is no need to lie, ie, do evil, for a greater good...if they are under grace nothing you do can stop their redemption and if they are not under the promise of election nothing you do can create it.

imCo
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #9

Post by H.sapiens »

Of course they would, they lie to themselves on a regular basis, isn't that what willful disbelief in scientific knowledge is?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jagella wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

Then you better get ready to leave the Jehovah's Witnesses. I know for a fact the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society lies to gain converts. You don't need to believe me and can prove yourself that they lie. Get a copy of Life: How Did it Get Here?. In a deceitful attempt to disprove the Theory of Evolution, this book deliberately misquotes scientists. All you need to do is check the citations in Life: How Did it Get Here? and compare what that book says to the original sources. You will see as I did that Life: How Did it Get Here? deliberately takes what scientists say out of context. That's lying.

I showed these facts to two Jehovah's Witnesses. They remain Jehovah's Witnesses to this day. Oh, the power of blind faith!

If you distribute Life: How Did it Get Here? or any other similar Watchtower materials claiming it to be factual, then you are lying.

I never said Jehovah's Witnesses never made mistakes; We are only human and have gotten things wrong in the past. An error and a lie are not synonyms.

As for your point about Watchtower quotations, context is in the eye of the beholder but I have never read a misquotation in any Watchtower literature. If that is what you are suggesting feel free to actually prove you have.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8