Is Faith an impediment to finding Truth?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Is Faith an impediment to finding Truth?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Jagella wrote:Defining truth as what you believe is untruthful because you offer mere faith as truth. Faith is not truth and is often an impediment to finding truth.
Faith is confidently believing something to be true, even though available evidence and reason do not support such a belief. This kind of faith is lauded in the story of the encounter between Thomas and the post-resurrection Jesus.

Science is arguably the greatest intellectual achievement of humanity. Science only works when faith is methodologically denied and evidence only is given credence. Modern justice systems again are evidence based, not reliant on faith. When we seek the truth in specific matters, we explicitly and purposefully exclude a faith based approach.

Is faith an impediment to finding truth?
Is faith a virtue? Why or why not?
If we reject faith as a method of determining truth in most matters, why do religions continue to praise and rely on faith?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Realworldjack
Guru

Re: Is Faith an impediment to finding Truth?

Post #11

Post by Realworldjack »

McCulloch wrote:
Realworldjack wrote:
McCulloch wrote:Faith is confidently believing something to be true, even though available evidence and reason do not support such a belief.
I am not sure where you are getting this definition from? Here is the Biblical definition,
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Do you notice the word, "evidence?" I am not sure how one gets to determine the definition?
Funny, I get my definition from the same place. Notice how it does not say, "Faith is based on evidence." It does say, "Faith is the evidence of things not seen." If you don't have evidence, then faith is your evidence. If it cannot be seen; if there is not sufficient tangible evidence to support what you hope for, then faith is your evidence. This is consistent with what Jesus said to Thomas and many many other biblical passages regarding faith.
Realworldjack wrote:However, we all use some sort of faith everyday. As an example, I may have no idea at all, and may not be able to explain to you how electricity works. But, I have a very strong faith in it, and I have enough faith in it to walk over to the switch panel time, and again to supply light into a room.
This is not faith. This is the evidence based assumption that things wil, continue to work as you have observed them to work countless times.
Realworldjack wrote:The kind of faith you are defining would be a blind faith, and there are those who posses a blind faith, for sure. But the Biblical writers never ask their audience to rest their beliefs upon a blind faith, but rather offered evidence.
The writers of the Bible never once make the distinction between faith and blind faith. Nor do they offer compelling evidence.
Nor do they offer compelling evidence.
To say the above, would absolutely be based upon the opinion of each individual. It certainly cannot be said to be based upon fact, because there are many of us who have been compelled by the evidence.

As far as the rest, lets not get hung up on the meaning of particular verses, but it seems sort of strange that you do not deal with the words these men used, that you would hear everyday in a court of law.

So then, it really does not matter what our definition of faith may be, or the meaning of a particular verse, the question becomes, what did these men ask their audience at the time, to base their beliefs upon? Did they asked them to simply have faith that there was a Resurrection? Or did they actually point to, an empty tomb?

You see, if they were simply appealing to faith, then there would be no reason to point to an empty tomb, as EVIDENCE. But the empty tomb is not the only evidence that we have, there is far more than that.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #12

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 11 by Realworldjack]
Did they asked them to simply have faith that there was a Resurrection? Or did they actually point to, an empty tomb?
Let's take the second suggestion. In fact...let's take it literally. They pointed to an actual empty tomb. Imagine they're saying "Look look! Empty tomb! Look...his shroud!" Imagine I'm there somehow after travelling from the present.

Okay...how does pointing to an empty tomb act as evidence towards "the person who we say was an occupant here after his death is no longer here because he resurrected from death"?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by McCulloch »

Realworldjack wrote:So then, it really does not matter what our definition of faith may be, or the meaning of a particular verse, the question becomes, what did these men ask their audience at the time, to base their beliefs upon? Did they asked them to simply have faith that there was a Resurrection? Or did they actually point to, an empty tomb?

You see, if they were simply appealing to faith, then there would be no reason to point to an empty tomb, as EVIDENCE. But the empty tomb is not the only evidence that we have, there is far more than that.
By the time of the writing of the gospels, there was no empty tomb. In the decades between the time Jesus is said to have died and the writing of the Gospels, there was an active Jewish war against the Romans. It did not go that well for the Jews. Jerusalem was sacked and the Temple destroyed.
John 20:24-29 wrote:But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples were saying to him, “We have seen the Lord!� But he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.�

After eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors having been shut, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.� Then He said to Thomas, “Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing.� Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!� Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.�
The writers of the New Testament, knowing that the evidence was lacking, portray a Jesus who praises the exact type of faith that I'm talking about.
Gospel of John

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 1 by McCulloch]
Faith is confidently believing something to be true, even though available evidence and reason do not support such a belief. This kind of faith is lauded in the story of the encounter between Thomas and the post-resurrection Jesus.
Nonsense. There is no evidence that the primitive church was expected to accept the Christian testimony on their bare-naked word; as if they were reprimanded for asking questions. The difference between Thomas and the later Christians was a difference of empirical knowledge.

Here is another definition of faith: belief in a proposition we think, based on the evidence at hand, to be overwhelmingly probable so as to exclude psychological doubt, but not incontrovertible so as to exclude logical dispute.

If someone told me that my brother was planning on killing me, all the evidence at hand suggests otherwise. But of course, I cannot there and then prove that there is no evidence I am missing, for that is to prove a negative. Therefore there remains room for logical dispute.

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #15

Post by Realworldjack »

McCulloch wrote:
Realworldjack wrote:So then, it really does not matter what our definition of faith may be, or the meaning of a particular verse, the question becomes, what did these men ask their audience at the time, to base their beliefs upon? Did they asked them to simply have faith that there was a Resurrection? Or did they actually point to, an empty tomb?

By the time of the writing of the gospels, there was no empty tomb. In the decades between the time Jesus is said to have died and the writing of the Gospels, there was an active Jewish war against the Romans. It did not go that well for the Jews. Jerusalem was sacked and the Temple destroyed.
John 20:24-29 wrote:But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples were saying to him, “We have seen the Lord!� But he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.�

After eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors having been shut, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.� Then He said to Thomas, “Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing.� Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!� Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.�
The writers of the New Testament, knowing that the evidence was lacking, portray a Jesus who praises the exact type of faith that I'm talking about.

By the time of the writing of the gospels, there was no empty tomb.
First, you are assuming the scholars have it right as far as when the Gospels were written, because there is no way to actually know. So then, the fact of the matter is, I have not claimed to know when they were written, but you seem to claim to know, so what evidence do you have that the Gospels were written decades after the events, without referring to the opinion of the scholars, because there are those scholars who would disagree?

Next, it would not be uncommon at all for these things to have been written decades after the events. Lets take a look at the author of Luke. There is very little doubt at all that this author spent a number of years, along with Paul on his missionary journeys, and there is extremely strong evidence to suggest that this is the case.

This author is clearly with Paul, all the way to Rome, as Paul stands trial, and even seems to be with Paul, through 2 years of Paul's imprisonment. When we think about the fact that most of Paul's journeys would have been by foot, and those that were not were some sort of other primitive transportation, then we can clearly understand how it could be decades, before the author of Luke could actually sit down to write the two letters that he wrote to Theophilus.

Now lets think about the "decades" you speak of would have been more than likely 20 years at the most, but it sounds much better for your case to say, "decades", right? The point is, if the journeys of Paul would have lasted 20 years, or longer counting his imprisonment of 2 years, then it would not be very strange at all for the author of Luke to have written his two letters, 20 years later, after his excursions with Paul.

If this is the case, (and there is strong evidence that it is) then this author would have just finished his journeys with Paul, and would have all that Paul said and done, fresh in his memory, along with all that pertained to the life of Jesus, since this had been his whole life for a good number of years.

You then go on to claim, that there would not have been an "empty tomb" by the time that this author wrote his account. Oh really? Well who would have been in this tomb, at this point? Would it have been Jesus? Are you suggesting that there never was a claim of an empty tomb, and this guy decades later, along with others, simply bring this into the equation decades later?

If this is what you are attempting to sale, then you have a lot of questions to answer. But we will wait to see if this is what you are suggesting.
In the decades between the time Jesus is said to have died and the writing of the Gospels, there was an active Jewish war against the Romans. It did not go that well for the Jews. Jerusalem was sacked and the Temple destroyed.
Here you are suggesting that the Gospels were written some 40 years after the death of Jesus. So what evidence do you have to support such a thing? And please remember, the opinion of the scholars is not evidence. I have read their opinions, and can easily refute them.

But lets think about this. First there is very little doubt at all, that Paul wrote his letters before this time, because he was writing them while on his missionary journeys, and even wrote while he was under house arrest.

Next, you would certainly think that if these letters would have been written after the destruction of Jerusalem, then there would be some sort of mention of such a traumatic event in these letters, but we find none, other than Jesus predicting it to occur.

But the main point here is, there is evidence that the letters were written by those they were attributed to, but there is really no way to tell the exact date they were written. All one can do is to examine the evidence, and come to the best conclusion one can make. This is the truth of the matter, and for there to be those to claim to know when, or when they were not written, would be far less than honest. It would be one thing to provide evidence, (other than the scholarly opinion) that may support your conclusion, it would be quite another to claim to know.
Okay, so these men leave a mountain of evidence behind, and you focus on one passage that seems to you, to back up the sort of faith you are describing. Did you notice that Jesus simply said,
“Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.�
What is Jesus, talking about seeing? "ME". Therefore He is speaking of those who believe, and have not seen Him in the same way as the Apostles. He is not saying, "Blessed are those who believe, without any evidence at all."

But again, it is sort of strange how you have yet to deal with the words that these men used, in describing the events, and it may be really good to take a look at Peters first sermon as recorded by the author of "Acts." Take a look at it, and tell me, was he pointing to evidence? Or was he simply asking the audience, to have faith in what he said?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by McCulloch »

liamconnor wrote:The difference between Thomas and the later Christians was a difference of empirical knowledge.
Why the adjective empirical? Is there non empirical knowledge?
liamconnor wrote:Here is another definition of faith: belief in a proposition we think, based on the evidence at hand, to be overwhelmingly probable so as to exclude psychological doubt, but not incontrovertible so as to exclude logical dispute.
Could you please provide a source for this definition?
Gospel of John

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by Jagella »

McCulloch wrote:
Is faith an impediment to finding truth?
Faith can be an impediment to finding truth if faith is resorted to when there is no good reason to believe a religious claim. If reason is lacking, then faith might maintain an error in the mind of the religious believer. Also, if reason leads to the rejection of a religious claim as false, faith might maintain that false belief.
Is faith a virtue? Why or why not?

Faith as it's normally practiced by the religious is most often a vice. At best faith may allow a person to continue to experience comfort from a belief. In that sense it might be called a virtue.
If we reject faith as a method of determining truth in most matters, why do religions continue to praise and rely on faith?
The elephant in the room is that faith is needed when there are no good reasons to believe a religious claim or that reason dictates against that claim. Faith is a means to believe what isn't true.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Jagella »

Realworldjack wrote:Here is the Biblical definition,
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Do you notice the word, "evidence?"
I noticed the word "evidence." Actually, if good evidence is available, then there is no need for faith.
The kind of faith you are defining would be a blind faith, and there are those who posses a blind faith, for sure. But the Biblical writers never ask their audience to rest there beliefs upon a blind faith, but rather offered evidence.
When Jesus is quoted as telling Thomas that people are blessed when they believe without seeing, then he espoused blind faith.
...have you noticed that the Biblical writers use words that would be used in a courtroom? Here are a list of some of the words they use.

evidence
proof
convict
witness
eyewitness
defense
judge
judgement
justice
guilty
innocent
Using words like proof and evidence is not proof or evidence. Claiming eyewitnesses is not eyewitnesses. Talk is cheap. Where is the evidence?

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by liamconnor »

McCulloch wrote:
liamconnor wrote:The difference between Thomas and the later Christians was a difference of empirical knowledge.
Why the adjective empirical? Is there non empirical knowledge?
liamconnor wrote:Here is another definition of faith: belief in a proposition we think, based on the evidence at hand, to be overwhelmingly probable so as to exclude psychological doubt, but not incontrovertible so as to exclude logical dispute.
Could you please provide a source for this definition?

Empirical= available to the senses. Thomas saw and touched Jesus. The next generation of Christians cannot; they therefore must rely on other evidence.

The source for the definition was borrowed from C.S. Lewis. Can't remember the book. (I seriously hope you are not going to make an appeal to authority argument: as if the authors of any lexicon are not also human).

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 18 by Jagella]
When Jesus is quoted as telling Thomas that people are blessed when they believe without seeing, then he espoused blind faith.
So all your beliefs are based upon your own eyewitness encounters? Caesar crossing the Rubicon, you saw it, or you don't believe it happened?