Probability and rare or paranormal events

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Mithrae
Prodigy

Probability and rare or paranormal events

Post #1

Post by Mithrae »

In the recent thread Assuming the supernatural is possible I advanced the opinion that so-called 'supernatural' events should be treated in a similar way to claims of a winning lottery ticket: They have a prior probability of essentially zero, and hence we should quite rightly maintain a higher level of scepticism than we do for more normal claims, whilst recognizing that in assessing the actual evidence we may well find a much higher probability in hindsight that the claim is true.

I think that there were some difficulties in communicating our opinions to each other because of the different ways in which probability can be used, and after some consideration I think I've found the core problem of the most common argument made against miracles and the like. Stopping short of appealing to philosophical naturalism, the argument basically states that since the poster has seen no "confirmed" examples of paranormal events, the probability of such events must be considered to be zero - and therefore any more normal explanations will necessarily be more plausible.

The problem with the argument is that zero "confirmed" paranormal events may not be significantly different from one or two or even a dozen confirmed events, at least at any high level of significance: And by making that argument, in asserting their 'zero' figure to be significant, proponents are implicitly assuming answers to the relevant questions beforehand. Obviously if it's not a valid probabilistic argument, it then amounts to little more than an appeal to ignorance and personal incredulity of the various reported miracle observations we've all heard of. Further details are below to avoid clutter.

Is this a fair analysis of the situation, and does it invalidate arguments of that type?
If not, how can those arguments be refined to ensure their validity? What further premises or qualifications are required?
Or if they are not valid, what is a more appropriate way to view or evaluate the probability of miracles (or indeed any events which are rare and non-repeatable)?
Mithrae wrote: As is my wont I edited and then re-edited my last post a few times, but figured I should do some quick Wiki-ing before trying to explain what I wanted to get at.

It seems that the position which Rikuoamero (and I believe Justin also) is advancing is similar to the theory of frequentist probability:
  • Frequentist probability or frequentism is an interpretation of probability; it defines an event's probability as the limit of its relative frequency in a large number of trials. This interpretation supports the statistical needs of experimental scientists and pollsters; probabilities can be found (in principle) by a repeatable objective process (and are thus ideally devoid of opinion). It does not support all needs; gamblers typically require estimates of the odds without experiments.
The position which Liamconner is advancing seems to be more akin to propensity probability:
  • The propensity theory of probability is one interpretation of the concept of probability. Theorists who adopt this interpretation think of probability as a physical propensity, or disposition, or tendency of a given type of physical situation to yield an outcome of a certain kind, or to yield a long run relative frequency of such an outcome.[1] Propensities are not relative frequencies, but purported causes of the observed stable relative frequencies. Propensities are invoked to explain why repeating a certain kind of experiment will generate a given outcome type at a persistent rate.
As I understand it (again, from only some brief reading) these both belong to the category dubbed 'physical' or 'objectivist' probabilities, in that they attempt to assess a real likelihood of a given event occurring. I think that usually I would be inclined towards viewing the latter, propensity probability, as being more appropriate even for most mundane purposes, because repeating large numbers of trials to establish a frequentist probability is so often impractical, impossible, unnecessary or if there aren't enough trials even misleading (though in cases where no valid information on propensities can be obtained, frequencies may serve an important purpose, not least in trying to discover the underlying causes).

In the case of exceptionally rare or singular events, frequentist probability seems to be all but useless or fundamentally fallacious. This has nothing to do with the 'supernatural': Frequentist probability presumably would have implied a zero probability of black holes before they were discovered for example, or a 100% probability of there being life on Earth-like planets until we find one without. So if we pretend to be discussing real likelihoods, propensity probability would be more appropriate. But that soon runs into the problem (as Liam has suggested) that we'd be trying to answer questions like "is there a God," "what would the creator of the universe do" or even "is it a deity responsible for 'supernatural' events at all" before considering the physical evidence for or against a miracle claim.

Far more reasonable in my view is an approach which explicitly quantifies our evaluation of likelihood, fully recognising that our evaluation may not perfectly match the real likelihood (which is obviously true of objectivist probabilities too), though we'll hopefully come close. This is what I have been (and generally do) talk about, and it seems that it is pretty much along the lines of Bayesian probability:
  • Bayesian probability is an interpretation of the concept of probability, in which, instead of frequency or propensity of some phenomenon, probability is interpreted as reasonable expectation[1] representing a state of knowledge[2] or as quantification of a personal belief.[3] The Bayesian interpretation of probability can be seen as an extension of propositional logic that enables reasoning with hypotheses, i.e., the propositions whose truth or falsity is uncertain.
To my delight, Bayesian probability even incorporates those terms 'prior probability' and 'posterior probability' that I've been using: How we evaluate the likelihood of a result before we have access to some or all of the relevant data on it (ie, before an event has happened in our case), and how we evaluate the likelihood of it being the case after we have access to all the information that we can (the claim's plausibility in our case, since we would now be talking about past events).

Perhaps this will help clear up some confusion or miscommunication going forwards.

Edit: To further explain why frequentist probability is inappropriate here, I've been known to play the odd RPG game at times, and sometimes delve into the mechanics such as loot drop rates or critical hit proc rates. And in doing so, I have always held that to get a valid estimate on a low drop or proc chance, I'd need at least three and preferably five or more positive results (to allow some room for a +/-2 estimate). The reason is that any one or even two drops, or the absence of them, could easily be sheer coincidence rather than being statistically representative.

Suppose a given event had a real likelihood of 2 in 1000, or 0.002. That would mean that while you might expect 2 positive results in 1000 trials, you would still have a 13.5% chance of getting zero positives (0.998^1000). Even in 2000 trials, you'd still have a 1.8% chance of getting zero positives. So zero results is only different from two positive results at an 86.5% level of significance from a thousand trials (which really isn't significant) or at a 98.2% level of significance from two thousand.

Justin and Rikuo argue that there have been zero "confirmed" positive results for the supernatural; but depending both on the real likelihood of the supernatural and (given their qualification) the likelihood of such events being confirmed to their satisfaction, zero positive results may not be significantly different from two positive results - or even a dozen positive results, for that matter! Obviously if there were in fact some "confirmed" positive results they wouldn't be making that argument, so in making it - in suggesting that their zero figure is a significant one - they are unintentionally implying or presupposing those answers already.

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Probability and rare or paranormal events

Post #2

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by Mithrae]

I admit I'm a little lost on what exactly we are trying to pin down here.

If we have zero confirmed claims of something, that may leave us with no way to determine if something is even possible. Since we have zero evidence, trying to assign some positive possibility of something happening is just pure guess work. That doesn't mean something can't happen, but with no data, we can hardly assign anything other than 0.

If we have 1 or more confirmed claims of something, we now know that at least the something in question is possible. We still may not know how often this something will reoccur, but we are no longer guessing and making things up. We have actual data.

Example:

My sandwich went missing.

What is the probability that a speckled pixie materialized in the kitchen, ate my sandwich, and then vanished back to where ever it came from?

What is the probability that my dog wandered into the kitchen, ate my sandwich, and then went back to where ever was before he smelled it?

If I've seen my dog steal food in the kitchen before, I think I can safely give a higher probability to my dog eating my sandwich rather than one of those naughty speckled pixies.

To bring this back to where this whole argument seems to be revolving lately, how often have we confirmed the following to happen?

- Bodies resurrect after being dead for multiple days.

- People move bodies from one place to another.

- People recover from injuries.

- People make up and/or embellish stories.

- People are genuinely mistaken when they claim something.

Given the above, which seems more probable when we hear a story, with no corroboration or physical evidence, that a person came back to life?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

This very topic being discussed in Christianity and Apologetics is why I feel that arguing against Christianity via the argument that paranormal events are impossible is a very bad argument.

It wouldn't matter to me if paranormal events were discovered to occur all the time. That's not going to help Christianity. This is why dismissing Christianity on these grounds is a very bad argument. This argument actually suggests that if paranormal (or supernatural) events were possible, then Christianity might have some merit. The fact is that it still wouldn't.

The problem with Christianity is not that a supernatural God cannot exist. The problem with Christianity is that the doctrine (i.e. the Biblical stories) are self-contradictory in their claims and cannot be true even if supernatural entities could exist.

So the idea that by arguing that paranormal or supernatural events cannot be ruled out entirely therefore Christianity might be true is a very bad argument. But this argument appears to have some merit when so many non-theists dismiss the theology via the argument that supernatural events are impossible. This only gives the Christian theists a counter-argument. In other words the Christian theist can then argue that since supernatural events cannot be ruled out with absolute certainty then neither can Christianity be ruled out with absolute certainty. But that's simply not true.

Even if supernatural events were possible we could still rule out Christianity as being clearly impossible as it is described in the Bible.

So these kinds of arguments don't help Christianity in any case.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Mithrae »

benchwarmer wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Mithrae]

I admit I'm a little lost on what exactly we are trying to pin down here.

If we have zero confirmed claims of something, that may leave us with no way to determine if something is even possible. Since we have zero evidence, trying to assign some positive possibility of something happening is just pure guess work. That doesn't mean something can't happen, but with no data, we can hardly assign anything other than 0.
However the situation isn't that we have zero evidence: Going by the standard of observational reports by multiple not-obviously-unreliable witnesses, paranormal events have been independently reported
- in all regions of the world,
- in most if not all cultures,
- in all periods of history through to the enlightened 20th and 21st centuries (still in all regions and cultures).

I stressed that the argument involves zero "confirmed" reports, in that those making the argument do not believe that any such reports they've heard of meet a high enough threshold of evidence to be considered true or probable. (Edit: Granted, there are also some folk whose personal lexicon flies in the face of all common, historical, philosophical, judicial and loosely-scientific usage for the word "evidence" by insisting that such reports are not, but I'm not interested in knocking down the low-hanging fruit here :lol: )

That said, you seem to be broadly agreeing that such a frequentist approach provides no real basis for estimating the probability of such rare or "unconfirmed" events; that your initial estimate of zero probability should be subject to revision in unbiased consideration of the actual evidence in hindsight, rather than providing any grounds for automatically preferring more normal or 'natural' explanations. Is that correct?

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Mithrae »

Divine Insight wrote: This very topic being discussed in Christianity and Apologetics is why I feel that arguing against Christianity via the argument that paranormal events are impossible is a very bad argument.
Well I'm sure you could argue that it would have been more appropriate in the Philosophy section. My thoughts in the OP have no specific interest in Christianity, though on the other hand the question of miracles can obviously be relevant to that religion as with others. Would you be interested in venturing your opinions about the topic of this thread, rather than posting an unrelated commentary about Theology, Doctrine and Dogma? Do you believe that a frequentist approach to probability is suitable in the case of paranormal events, or indeed any rare and non-repeatable phenomena?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

Mithrae wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: This very topic being discussed in Christianity and Apologetics is why I feel that arguing against Christianity via the argument that paranormal events are impossible is a very bad argument.
Then arguably it would have been more appropriate in the Philosophy section :lol: My thoughts in the OP have no specific interest in Christianity, though obviously the question of miracles can be relevant to that religion as with others. Would you be interested in venturing your opinions about the topic of this thread, rather than posting an unrelated commentary about Theology, Doctrine and Dogma? Do you believe that a frequentist approach to probability is viable in the case of paranormal events, or indeed any rare and non-repeatable events?
My comments aren't unrelated when this is being posted in Christianity and Apologetics.

Posting it here implies that the probability of supernatural events has something do with Christianity or apologies for that religion.

As far as the the probabilities of paranormal or supernatural events is concerned they either exist, or they don't. Therefore the probability is either zero or 100% :D It can hardly be anything else.

I don't take a position on whether or not paranormal or supernatural events are possible. I confess that I cannot say.

However, this hardly helps Christian theology.

Had you posted this in philosophy I would have responded purely from a philosophical perspective. In other words, we cannot say whether supernatural events are possible or not, speaking in terms of probabilities is silly. They either are possible in which case they are 100% possible, or they are not possible, in which case they have zero probability of ever occurring.
[center]Image
[/center]

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Mithrae »

Divine Insight wrote: Had you posted this in philosophy I would have responded purely from a philosophical perspective. In other words, we cannot say whether supernatural events are possible or not, speaking in terms of probabilities is silly. They either are possible in which case they are 100% possible, or they are not possible, in which case they have zero probability of ever occurring.
The same could be said of any event: Either it happened (100% 'probability') or it didn't (0%). So how do you ever tell if anything ever happened or not, if that is the whole extent of your approach? Or are you suggesting that rare and non-repeatable events are somehow in a unique position here that I'm just not seeing?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

Mithrae wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: Had you posted this in philosophy I would have responded purely from a philosophical perspective. In other words, we cannot say whether supernatural events are possible or not, speaking in terms of probabilities is silly. They either are possible in which case they are 100% possible, or they are not possible, in which case they have zero probability of ever occurring.
The same could be said of any event: Either it happened (100% 'probability') or it didn't (0%). So how do you ever tell if anything ever happened or not, if that is the whole extent of your approach? Or are you suggesting that rare and non-repeatable events are somehow in a unique position here that I'm just not seeing?
You're talking about individual events. I'm talking about the entire category or type of events.

The probability that supernatural events can occur in general needs to be 100% before any individual supernatural event could even occur.

If the probability of supernatural events in general is zero (i.e. they are impossible) then the probability of any individual supernatural ever occurring must also be zero.

The fact that there has never been a verified supernatural event ever recorded certainly suggests that the probability that supernatural events are possible is more likely to be zero than 100%. So there is a very high probability that supernatural events never occur.

Consider the following line of reasoning:
Mithrae wrote: However the situation isn't that we have zero evidence: Going by the standard of observational reports by multiple not-obviously-unreliable witnesses, paranormal events have been independently reported
- in all regions of the world,
- in most if not all cultures,
- in all periods of history through to the enlightened 20th and 21st centuries (still in all regions and cultures).

We also know that these not-obviously-unreliable witnesses have reported conflicting accounts of paranormal events. Thus we can certainly concluded that many of these reports are clearly undependable. And there's really no reason to think that any of them are. After all the overwhelming majority of them would need to be false reports.

Recognizing that these reports are obviously spawned by cultural influences, we have evidence of the source of these superstitious reports. So this then leads to the fact that these witnesses are indeed unreliable since they apparently just go along with the rumors that already exist within their own culture.

If there were consistent reports across all cultures and periods of history that weren't obviously influenced by preexisting rumors within those cultures, then we might see that as being evidence for something strange going on. But that's not what we see. What we see are isolated groups of humans coming up with totally different and conflicting tales. Exactly what we would expect from random superstition.

So what we actually have evidence for is that humans tend to make up stories about boogiemen gods or demons. And in the case of some cultures, such as the ancient Hebrews, they even imagined themselves to be "God's Chosen People". That should be a clue right there of how culturally dependent these superstitious fables are.
[center]Image
[/center]

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by rikuoamero »

I advanced the opinion that so-called 'supernatural' events should be treated in a similar way to claims of a winning lottery ticket: They have a prior probability of essentially zero,
In what way are you looking at the chances of a lottery ticket? The odds of one specific person getting the winning numbers, or the odds of anyone at all out of a player-pool of potentially millions or tens of millions?

There have been plenty of cases in the past where people have won lotteries, unless you'd like to take the approach in debate that this has never happened.
since the poster has seen no "confirmed" examples of paranormal events, the probability of such events must be considered to be zero - and therefore any more normal explanations will necessarily be more plausible.
It's not only that I have never seen/experienced anything paranormal/supernatural/miracle, it's that very frequently these things are described as violating the known laws of physics/chemistry/biology.
The problem with the argument is that zero "confirmed" paranormal events may not be significantly different from one or two or even a dozen confirmed events
Oh? So how is 0 not different to 1, or 2, or 12?
And by making that argument, in asserting their 'zero' figure to be significant, proponents are implicitly assuming answers to the relevant questions beforehand.
Which I have a very high confidence for. If someone wants to get their claim of a resurrected Jew across, they'll need some actual evidence.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by liamconnor »

I continue to question the validity of assigning probability to any supernatural claim; in terms of Christianity, it seems the question would have to run, "How likely is it that there is a power behind the universe whose plan it is to redeem a messed up world by suspending the normal behavior of Nature?"

I can only reply, I don't know, we'd have to ask that power; in the same way we'd have to as a bachelor how probable it is that he will get married. If he has no intention of getting married, it is zero; regardless of the fact that there are more couples than their are confirmed bachelors.

Does not a similar situation face cosmologists? What was the antecedent probability of the big bang occurring, by which time and space erupted? But time and space are the necessary conditions for measuring probability.