The lake of fire

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

The lake of fire

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

The lake of fire is found only in the last book of the Bible, Revelation.

It is used by many to support common views of what "hell" is, or will be.

A number of questions could be asked about what it is and why, such as:

Is it literal or metaphorical?

If it is a metaphor, of what?

Is it the same as the Gehenna that Jesus spoke of?

What is meant by being "thrown into" it?

What kind of fire is portrayed, and what is its purpose?

What are your thoughts on these and other relevant issues?

Let the debate begin!

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #151

Post by Benoni »

[Replying to post 145 by peacedove]

Yes it is complex but there are far more than just two ages? I am not at all sure how many ages there have been in the past. There could have been countless ages for aught I know. I do know, however, that ages existed before Adam. There was a great age from Adam to the flood and another great age front the flood to the resurrection of Christ. The age of grace or the church age, of which we are now a part, runs from the resurrection to the setting up of the king- The kingdom age, next in order, will last at least one thousand years. Rev. 20:4. Then follows the age of the ages, or the dispensation of the fullness of times.

The term age of the ages identifies this age as the greatest of all the ages. No age, not even the kingdom age, can be compared to it. Just as the Song of Solomon is the song of songs, that is, the greatest of all songs, and as the holy of holies is the holiest of all, so the age of the ages is the greatest age of all the ages, far surpassing even the millennial kingdom in its power and glory, its revelation of God, and its wonderful reconciliation and restitution. Men today use such terms as "the greatest day of my life," "our finest hour," or the "day of days." It is in this same sense that our almighty Father speaks of the dispensation of the fullness of times as the age of the ages
Here are a few examples of scriptures that support ages not age or two ages.

I see seven different ages in this list yet you say there are only two???

1. Unto the age. Mark 3:29.
2. Unto the ages. Luke 1:33. (plural)
3. Unto all the ages. Jude 25. (plural)
4. Unto the age of the age. Heb. 1:8.
5. Unto all the generations of the age of the ages. Eph. 3:21.
6. Unto the ages of the ages. Rev. 1:6.
7. Unto the day of an age. 2 Pet. 3:18.

Unto the ages of the ages. Rev. 1:6.

What I believe is when we come to the age of ages; then all will be all; but there will always be more. God does not deal with man in eternities; He deals with ages. I believe there are many ages to come; and there have been ages that have ended. Only God can answer how many ages there are; we know in part until that which is perfect has come; that which is part shall be done away with.

What the big lie is eternal hell and torment. Only time God looses anything is when religious men twist His Word. The blood of Jesus is greater then the sin of Adam.

Acts 15: (HCSB) 17 so that those who are left of mankind may seek the Lord— even all the Gentiles who are called by My name, says the Lord who does these things

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #152

Post by Benoni »

[Replying to post 146 by peacedove]

Look at God's covenant with Israel. Where are all the people being tortured if these are the numbers of Israel? How many people have lived and are living and are now alive could never number the sand of the sea?

Another verse speaks as the

Genesis 32:12And thou saidst, I will surely do thee good, and make thy seed as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.

Genesis 22:16-18 (King James Version)
16And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
17That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore[/b]; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
18And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Stars speak of the spirit real, sand the natural realm. Yes God's Word has it all covered.

How many millions of grains of sand can you put in your two hands at the sea shore; how many stars can you count on a cold winter day; and that only the ones you can see. Just think how many grains of sand in a dump truck?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #153

Post by 2timothy316 »

Benoni wrote:
How many millions of grains of sand can you put in your two hands at the sea shore; how many stars can you count on a cold winter day; and that only the ones you can see. Just think how many grains of sand in a dump truck?
“Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; you will look at where they were, and they will not be there. But the meek will possess the earth, and they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.�—Psalm 37:10, 11.

It is obvious that God was not speaking literal stars and sand. What He was saying is that the numbers from that time forward wouldn't be able to be counted. Even in Revelation 7:9 it makes mention of a Great Crowd that no man can number. These are meek and righteous ones but the wicked will be no more. I can't be explained much simpler than in Psalm 37:10. One will possess the other possesses nothing.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #154

Post by Benoni »

2timothy316 wrote:
Benoni wrote:
“Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; you will look at where they were, and they will not be there. But the meek will possess the earth, and they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.�—Psalm 37:10, 11.

It is obvious that God was not speaking literal stars and sand. What He was saying is that the numbers from that time forward wouldn't be able to be counted. Even in Revelation 7:9 it makes mention of a Great Crowd that no man can number. These are meek and righteous ones but the wicked will be no more. I can't be explained much simpler than in Psalm 37:10. One will possess the other possesses nothing.
What is simple about it? By trying to make it simple is making it superficial and that is all the religious realm knows. I guess you have no clue on how many sands there are in a dump truck let alone on a seashore if you believe this. Maybe you should take a math class because you are waaaaaaay off. This was a covenant God made with his people and God does not break covenant.

Where does it say anything about meek and righteous ones? Here is a verse that address the unrighteousness where they will be resurrected not damned or forgotten in a grave. Acts 24:15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

God caused all men to fall under the sin of Adam and if he caused it He has a plan to fix it.

Romans 5:18-20 (Weymouth’s)
It follows then just as the result of a single transgression is a condemnation which to the whole race, so also is the result of a single degree of righteousness is a life giving acquittal which extends to the whole race. (19) for as thought the disobedience of one individual the mass of mankind were constituted as sinners, so also though the obedience of one, the mass of mankind will be constituted righteous. Now law was brought in later on so that the transgression might increase, but sin increased, grace is overflowed.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #155

Post by 2timothy316 »

Benoni wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:
Benoni wrote:

What is simple about it? By trying to make it simple is making it superficial and that is all the religious realm knows.
Simple doesn't mean superficial. I didn't try to make it simple. Jehovah God made it simple in His book.

Who taught you that simple means superficial? Better yet who taught you that making something complex makes something true? :roll:

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #156

Post by 2timothy316 »

Benoni wrote:
Where does it say anything about meek and righteous ones?
Psalm 37:29 "The righteous will inherit the land and dwell in it forever."
Psalm 37:10, 11 - "But the meek will possess the earth, and they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.�

Doesn't that answer your question? Not my words either. Straight from the Bible to your eyes.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #157

Post by Benoni »

2timothy316 wrote:
Benoni wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:
Benoni wrote:

What is simple about it? By trying to make it simple is making it superficial and that is all the religious realm knows.
Simple doesn't mean superficial. I didn't try to make it simple. Jehovah God made it simple in His book.

Who taught you that simple means superficial? Better yet who taught you that making something complex makes something true? :roll:

JW want superficial God wants it deep.

Romans 11:33 Hear what the inspired apostle said:

Romans 11:33 (Amp) Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unfathomable (inscrutable, unsearchable) are His judgments (His decisions)! And how untraceable (mysterious, undiscoverable) are His ways (His methods, His paths)!

Romans 11:33 (NLT) Oh, how great are God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his ways!

Romans 11:33 (NLT) Who can measure the wealth and wisdom and knowledge of God? Who can understand his decisions or explain what he does?

Romans 11:33 (MSG) Have you ever come on anything quite like this extravagant generosity of God, this deep, deep wisdom? It's way over our heads. We'll never figure it out.

Is there anyone around who can explain God?
Anyone smart enough to tell him what to do?
Anyone who has done him such a huge favor
that God has to ask his advice?

Everything comes from him;
Everything happens through him;
Everything ends up in him.
Always glory! Always praise!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Romans 11:33 (NLT) 33 Oh, how great are God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his ways!

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #158

Post by 2timothy316 »

Benoni wrote:

Romans 11:33 (MSG) Have you ever come on anything quite like this extravagant generosity of God, this deep, deep wisdom? It's way over our heads. We'll never figure it out.
That's right, we wouldn't figure it out, unless He tells us and He did in Psalms about the meek and righteous. If you can't accept that, so be it.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #159

Post by Benoni »

2timothy316 wrote:
Benoni wrote:

That's right, we wouldn't figure it out, unless He tells us and He did in Psalms about the meek and righteous. If you can't accept that, so be it.
Explain the following:

Acts 15: 13-18 (ESV) 16(A) "'After this I will return,and I will rebuild the tent of David that has fallen;I will rebuild its ruins, and I will restore it 17that the remnant of mankind(B) may seek the Lord, and all the Gentiles(C) who are called by my name, says the Lord, who makes these things 18(D) known from of old.'

Acts 15: 13-18 (Message) James broke the silence. "Friends, listen. Simeon has told us the story of how God at the very outset made sure that racial outsiders were included. This is in perfect agreement with the words of the prophets: After this, I'm coming back; I'll rebuild David's ruined house; I'll put all the pieces together again; I'll make it look like new So outsiders who seek will find, so they'll have a place to come to, All the pagan peoples included in what I'm doing. "God said it and now he's doing it. It's no afterthought; he's always known he would do this

Acts 15: (Amp) 17So that the rest of men may seek the Lord, and all the Gentiles upon whom My name has been invoked,

Acts 15: (HCSB) 17 so that those who are left of mankind may seek the Lord— even all the Gentiles who are called by My name, says the Lord who does these things,

Acts 15: 17 (NIRV) Then the rest of the people can look to the Lord. This means all the non-Jews who belong to me. The Lord says this. He is the one who does these things.' —(Amos 9:11,12)

Now if the rest of men may seek the Lord, All the pagan peoples included in what I'm doing “, “ all the Gentiles , the “remainder of man kind are destroyed as you proclaim in the Lake of Devine Purging (Lake of Fire); then what about this promise.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #160

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to post 158 by Benoni]

Easy explanation,

If a person is receptive to the Good News then they are a friend. If they reject it then they will go the way of Sodom and Gomorrah.

“Into whatever city or village you enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until you leave. When you enter the house, greet the household. If the house is deserving, let the peace you wish it come upon it; but if it is not deserving, let the peace from you return upon you. Wherever anyone does not receive you or listen to your words, on going out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet. Truly I say to you, it will be more endurable for the land of Sodʹom and Go·morʹrah on Judgment Day than for that city." - Mat 10:11-15

There are those that are deserving and those that are not. All the scriptures you quoted are not for those 'not deserving'.

Look at one of your quoted scriptures, Acts 15: (Amp) So that the rest of men may seek the Lord.

A person may seek the Lord or they may not. Acts 15:17 it even says those 'who are doing these things'. Who are doing these things? What are the 'things'? Don't you want to be a person known that 'does these things'? If so, don't you think it's important to find out what, 'these things' are?

You've got to read more of the scriptures and less focusing on a few words of a much bigger thought.