What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: those that interpret the bible correctly will never find any of its statements contradict proven scientific fact.
What is the "correct" way to interpret the Bible? Is there an objective "correct" way to interpret the Bible? If so, what methods should one employ to interpret the Bible "correctly"?

Let's use Genesis 1 as an example. What is the correct interpretation of Genesis 1 and what method did you employ to conclude your interpretation?

Specifically...

1. Is Genesis 1 literal or metaphorical? (what method did you use to reach this conclusion?)

2. If it is metaphorical, what is it a metaphor for? (what method did you use to reach this conclusion?)

3. What is your explanation for the Genesis 1 claim that God created plants before he created the sun? (and again, what method did you use to reach this conclusion?)

paarsurrey1
Sage

Re: What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Post #171

Post by paarsurrey1 »

tam wrote:
RightReason wrote: [Replying to tam]
You will note that in each of your quotes, Christ did not tell people to listen to His Church. He is simply stating that those who listen to them (whom He sent) are listening to Him, and those who are rejecting them (whom He sent) are rejecting Him.
Hmmmm . . . IMO, it would be extremely difficult to suggest Christ was not establishing His Church.
Who said He never established His Church?
You have basically suggested here (and elsewhere) that the only words that we truly have to listen to of His are, "listen to the Church", by which YOU mean the RCC.
Except you will not find the words, "Listen to the Church", being spoken by Him.

If what you believe to be true actually were the case, then what is the point of us knowing any of His other commands or words? If the only command that actually mattered was... well... that one you keep insisting upon, but that He never actually said?
It is amazing to me how Christ establishing the Church bothers so many people.

Who is bothered by Him establishing His Church? His Church is His Body, His Bride. Made up of all the members OF His Body, over whom HE - Christ - is the Head.
Given all that, we really ought to take that into consideration when asked the OP’s question, “What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?� We interpret the Bible with the help of the guidance of the Church who is guided by the Holy Spirit.

The whole church (the body of Christ) is guided by Christ, and given holy spirit. Not just some men who "claim" to be the Church.
Once again, nothing else makes sense. This would be the only assurance of unity of teaching and knowing we are getting it right.
What good is unity of teaching if the teaching is wrong? Then everyone is just unified in being wrong. That has happened numerous times in the history of the RCC.
Your understanding that we simply interpret the Bible via ‘the light of Christ’ has given us what we have today – thousands of splinter groups from Christ’s Church all teaching and believing different things.
Hold all things up against the light that IS Christ. How can anyone who follows and belongs to Christ argue against that?
If the RCC had done that a little more then we would not have had persecution and torture and imprisonment of those the RCC deemed heretics; among other things that were done and taught falsely in the name of God.
And instead of blaming splinter groups on people testing the inspired expressions; holding all things up against the Light that is Christ (which is indeed something we are supposed to DO:
I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. Revelation 2:2
Perhaps you might consider that many people left the RCC (and other subsequent groups) because they could see that Christ was NOT with those groups. They did just what Christ praised people FOR doing in the above quote. They could see this by their fruit and by their teachings, both of which were not what Christ taught or did.
Unfortunately, instead of just coming out and coming TO and remaining IN Christ, some went and formed new "daughters" (sects). Perhaps some also failed to tear everything down that they learned from their former religions. Because that is what one must do: tear everything straight down to the foundation cornerstone (Christ), and then ask Him to help them rebuild solely and directly upon Him.
But instead of continuing what will just be a repetition of an earlier conversation between us, I think I will just link to the start of that conversation here:
viewtopic.php?t=31377&postdays=0&postor ... &start=630
And here, where it continues for about 8 pages or so:
viewtopic.php?t=31377&postdays=0&postor ... &start=660
Those He sends are not to take credit for what He has given them
Unless the credit is to give glory to God . . .
Yes, but then they would not be taking the credit for themselves, right? Which is what I said, yes?
His words are certainly not to be used as a 'weapon' by men
Aren’t they? We are in a spiritual battle. Scripture is clear on this. We are expected to fight the good fight.
Hmm. My complete sentence was this:
His words are certainly not to be used as a 'weapon' by men, to make people listen to and obey them; or to gain followers after themselves.
Do you think His words were meant to be used as a weapon by men to make people listen to and obey them, to gain followers after themselves?
(He certainly is not telling anyone to listen to men who claim to be His 'church', especially not those men who would teach and/or command others to do and believe things that are not what He taught.
Agree. So one must be able to know and identify His Church (I already discussed this earlier) and be wary of anyone coming on the scene later and teaching that which is contrary to Sacred Scripture and contrary to Sacred Tradition.
It does not matter if they came on the scene later or if they were on the scene from the start. Because there were indeed false christs and false prophets from the start.
As the above quote and many others reveal.
One needs to remain in CHRIST and in HIS word. Or else one is going to be easily misled by those false prophets and false christs.
As for tradition, here is what my Lord had to say about that:
"The Pharisees and some of the teachers of the law who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus and saw some of his disciples eating food with hands that were defiled, that is, unwashed. (The Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they give their hands a ceremonial washing, holding to the tradition of the elders. When they come from the marketplace they do not eat unless they wash. And they observe many other traditions, such as the washing of cups, pitchers and kettles.)
So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, “Why don’t your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with defiled hands?�
He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:
“‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
They worship me in vain;

their teachings are merely human rules.’

You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.�
And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions! For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and, ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’ But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is Corban (that is, devoted to God)— then you no longer let them do anything for their father or mother. Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that.�
And just because someone put the word 'sacred' in front of the word 'tradition' does not make tradition sacred. My Lord emphasized TRUTH, love, mercy, forgiveness, faith... He never emphasized tradition, except like He did above; pointing out where the people were nullifying the word of God for the sake of their traditions; not able or willing to even see past their traditions so as to understand the truth.
I cannot recall any Christian ever stating that He revealed to them that He was not the light or the life or that we have life through Him. If anyone ever did profess that, well, it would be a simple enough matter to quote what He said about the matter.
And if ‘the light of Christ’ reveals to me infant baptism is the way to go and ‘the light of Christ’ reveals to another sincere Christian that baptism ought to only occur at the age of reason, which one of us is getting it right? Which one of us is our Lord actually speaking to? If ‘the light of Christ’ has revealed to me the True Presence in the Holy Eucharist, while another sincere Christian claims ‘the light of Christ’ has revealed a mere symbolic meaning, which one of us is Christ speaking to?
So test the inspired expression... against Christ, against love, against what is written (beginning with what Christ taught). Hold all things up against the Light that is Christ
See my comment above. Sincere truth seeking Christians have tested what they feel is being revealed to them and found support/evidence in Scripture to support it. They have tested their belief against love, against Christ, and against what is written. They have held all things up to the Light of Christ and still come to very differing views. This is problematic.

If they have come to different views; they did not each receive their understanding from Christ. Perhaps one or both of them are holding on to baggage/teachings from their former religions. It can be very hard to let go of things that have been deeply ingrained. But they can reason together; and sometimes the issue is resolved in that way. But even if the issue is not resolved in that way at that time, but the things that someone believes they learned from Christ is not against anything Christ teaches, and it is not against love, and it is not against what is written (beginning with what Christ has said), then what problem would you have with them?
Love covers over a multitude of sins, yes? So we would go our way in peace, and leave Christ to correct what needs to be corrected, if indeed one is truly seeking and loving HIM.
The only thing that we can do is share as we have learned from Christ. The rest is not up to us.
And why Christ did and would establish an authoritative Church – an earthly voice on earth – I think if you really think about it, you will admit that makes sense. In fact, the only thing that makes sense.
The RCC, you mean? No, that makes no sense at all. None whatsoever. That church is responsible for terrible atrocities that they claimed to have done in the name of God; things that go against Christ, and against love, and against what is written.
But like the WTS (and probably other denominations that I do not know about), all the religion has to do is convince its adherents that IT is God's earthly voice; God's sole channel on earth... and then to most people in them, it no longer matters what the religion teaches or what it does. They will remain no matter what. Because they are longer testing anything against Christ to know if it is true; they are testing things against their religion to know if it is true.
He is the Truth, yes? Not men, not religion, not religious leaders. Right?
If He is the truth, listen to what He says!!!
Do not put your faith in men, put your faith in God, and when you do you hear these words . . .
“So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach�. –Matthew 23:3
“So practice and obey whatever they tell you, but don't follow their example. For they don't practice what they teach.� –Matthew 23:3
^ In your Bible? Yes?
Are you suggesting that Christ said we are to listen to Jewish leaders? Because that is who He was speaking about in your quote above, yes?
Perhaps though you are suggesting that this accurately represents YOUR leaders in the RCC. Do you not see what that is saying about them and about who you are following? And what about when the RCC ordered heretics to be persecuted, tried, imprisoned, handed over to be executed? Should people have obeyed that? Or should they have obeyed Christ, even if it mean that their lives would be lost?
What is it that Christ said?
For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy[/quote]
You have basically suggested here (and elsewhere) that the only words that we truly have to listen to of His are, "listen to the Church", by which YOU mean the RCC.
Except you will not find the words, "Listen to the Church", being spoken by Him.
I agree with one.
The word "Church" was not in use in Judea in Jesus' time. One may like to look into the etymology of the world to confirm this. This seems to be an addition made by the Catholic Church.
Regards

paarsurrey1
Sage

Re: What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Post #172

Post by paarsurrey1 »

RightReason wrote: [Replying to post 125 by Justin108]

Not getting sucked back in, but had to comment on this . . .
The one thing all Christian denominations agree on is that the Bible has absolute authority.
Uuuuum . . . why don’t you ask other Christian denominations if that’s true. LOL! Even, Tam in this very thread keeps telling you she is Christian and doesn’t believe Scripture has absolute authority. Man, I get tired of people knocking Christianity when they don’t even know what Christianity is.
Tam in this very thread keeps telling you she is Christian and doesn’t believe Scripture has absolute authority.
I agree with Tam. NT Bible is an unauthorized collection, neither from YHVH not written by Jesus, nor dictated by Jesus to anybody, nor written by writers who had an expressed authority from Jesus to write these on Jesus' behalf. Right, please?
Regards

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #173

Post by paarsurrey1 »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 165 by paarsurrey1]
That is not the case with Islam. Please don't generalize it to Quran.
I challenge this. Everything I know about Islam (from Muslims as well as lectures) testifies that the Koran is the Word of Allah, not to be questioned, but to be obeyed. Now in Christianity we have people who don't believe everything written in the Bible. Luke and Matthew have Jesus born of a virgin: There are some Christians who doubt this; they have no trouble accepting that Matthew and Luke, being human biographers, were either including bits from the 'populace' or were inventing their own stories to support their motif 'Jesus, Son of God'. Yet still, these skeptical Christians believe that Jesus was crucified and risen.

Now, are there examples of Muslims who disbelieve portions of the Koran? For instance, are there Muslims who doubt that Mohammed actually received the Koran, but still, there is one God, Allah?
I challenge this.
Why challenge me, please? Please concentrate on the challenge one is already faced with "What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?". Doesn't one think that the Christians are far from doing justice to it, please?
Peace from me.
Regards

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #174

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 172 by paarsurrey1]
Please concentrate on the challenge one is already faced with "What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?". Doesn't one think that the Christians are far from doing justice to it, please?
Some Christians interpret well, and some not so much. And then we have our own assessments and opinions on what is around.

That's how all of us seem to operate on these forums.

This includes your question on "the correct way to interpret the Bible". Eveven if we were in ag reement on the answer to thaat, wemay well disagree on its application to this or that passage, or this or that theme.

The truth is we all have our own bias, our own agenda, and some are reluctant to concede that that includes them.

Whatever, let us at least agree on and with what Paul says here, if at all possible:
1 Corinthians 4

1 This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God.

2 Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful.
3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself.
4 For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me.

5 Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #175

Post by Checkpoint »

Please concentrate on the challenge one is already faced with "What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?". Doesn't one think that the Christians are far from doing justice to it, please?
Some Christians interpret well, and some not so much. And then we have our own assessments and opinions on what is around.

This includes your question on "the correct way to interpret the Bible". Eveven if we were in ag reement on the answer to thaat, wemay well disagree on its application to this or that passage, or this or that theme.

The truth is we all have our own bias, our own agenda, and some are reluctant to concede that that includes them.

Whatever, let us at least agree on and with what Paul says here, if at all possible:
1 Corinthians 4

1 This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God.

3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself.
4 For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me.

5 Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #176

Post by Checkpoint »

This includes your question on "the correct way to interpret the Bible". Even if we were in agreement on the answer to that, we may well disagree on its application to this or that passage, or this or that theme.

1 Corinthians 4

ryeisone

Post #177

Post by ryeisone »

Hello DC&R. I looked for an "introduce yourself" thread, but either I'm blind or it doesn't exist. So, I picked the first thread that looked interesting. I've done plenty of commenting on youtube, blogs and other places. Frankly, the culpable ignorance and trolling are astounding. That's how I came here in search of fellow travelers who actually want to understand the fullness of truth more completely. I have posted several essays dealing with apologetics and the philosophical state of the West here: https://steemit.com/@ryeis1
Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 172 by paarsurrey1]
"What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?". Doesn't one think that the Christians are far from doing justice to it, please?
You are one hundred percent correct. For a person who places all authority in the the bible alone, there is no logical conclusion to any religious argument that goes beyond "because the bible says..." As I'm sure everyone here knows, this is circular reasoning since the argument(s) can only be accepted by someone who has already come to the same conclusions. This is why you will find pastors and evangelists who will entice a person to "accept Jesus Christ as personal Lord and savior" using passionate tones in a pleading posture. This appeal to emotion is a smokescreen; a logical fallacy intended to compel the lost to gloss over the first fallacious argument long enough to "get saved"! After that it's hugs and pamphlets, bible studies, Sunday school, and sermons that will explain everything a Christian needs to know, as long as the verses being presented mesh with that church's peculiar confession of faith or unique interpretations of select bible passages!

To properly interpret the bible, it has to be viewed in it's proper context. I'm not going to spoon-feed anyone in an attempt to convert to my way of thinking. I'm offering an invitation to ask the hard questions and face the undesirable answers that may arise.

First, how did the bible come to be arranged in that particular order with that table of contents? By what authority were these writings deemed inspired while others were not?

How did Christianity spread from Pentecost until the *4th century before the canon of the bible was declared?

Once the bible was declared complete, there were still very few of them in circulation due to the enormous cost to produce one. How did the majority of Christians learn what it contained when one would have cost appr. 5 years wages and was kept chained up for this reason?

Once the printing press arrived on the scene, bibles could be reproduced cheap enough for many to posses one. How did this actually change anything since literacy wouldn't become common until well into the twentieth century?

Why don't Sunday schools teach Church history?

Why does your pastor seem to skip over certain chapters, books, and/or verses without ever preaching on them (John 6, Matt. 25:31-46, James 2:24 are common).

Bonus question: How many entire nations have converted and become unified in doctrine and practice under the banner of the (your denomination) church?

These are the questions that must be answered first. Until one gets to the bottom of these questions, anyone can make the bible say anything they want it to say. If anyone disagrees with your interpretations, just find more verses to take out of context that will show what the bible "clearly" says. Creationists still can't agree on what the first Chapter of Genesis means, yet people are supposed to take us seriously when we tell them the bible is the inerrant word of God? That's why Our Lord is mocked freely in this age, because we keep ignoring his dire warning that a house divided against itself cannot stand.

*I had accidentally typed 3rd century before editing.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #178

Post by JehovahsWitness »

ryeisone wrote:To properly interpret the bible, it has to be viewed in it's proper context.

This is a good point and context whether historical, religious or cultural does help us understand bible texts. Context however must also include the will and intention of the author and to know that we would have to determin who the author of holy scripture is as the writers claim to be inspired of God. If this is true then God himself figures in the "context" which has to be considered.

Here is my contribution to this thread
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 431#880431

Regards,

JEHOVAHS WITESS

ps: welcome; here's the Introduce yourself thread
viewtopic.php?t=20110
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

ryeisone

Evidence for the proof of God's existence

Post #179

Post by ryeisone »

[Replying to post 177 by JehovahsWitness]

I know this is off topic, but you're the first Jehovah's Witness I've encountered for some time, and I can't send a pm yet.

When I was a new convert in late '97, I experienced a bona fide miracle. You see, I was raised with zero religious education. I didn't even know the difference between protestant, Catholic, Mormon, Watch Tower, nothing. Barely a week after I first believed, I found myself in conversation with a Jehovah's Witness at a bus stop. I was excited to talk about religion since it was so new and the change in me was so epic and instantaneous. My bus approached and he asked me if I'd like to get together and talk some more. I said sure and gave him my phone number and even my address.

He never stopped by, or even called!!!!!! I've been told that one rivals the raising of the dead on the miraculous scale! :mrgreen: 8-)

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #180

Post by paarsurrey1 »

ryeisone wrote: Hello DC&R. I looked for an "introduce yourself" thread, but either I'm blind or it doesn't exist. So, I picked the first thread that looked interesting. I've done plenty of commenting on youtube, blogs and other places. Frankly, the culpable ignorance and trolling are astounding. That's how I came here in search of fellow travelers who actually want to understand the fullness of truth more completely. I have posted several essays dealing with apologetics and the philosophical state of the West here: https://steemit.com/@ryeis1
Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 172 by paarsurrey1]
"What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?". Doesn't one think that the Christians are far from doing justice to it, please?
You are one hundred percent correct. For a person who places all authority in the the bible alone, there is no logical conclusion to any religious argument that goes beyond "because the bible says..." As I'm sure everyone here knows, this is circular reasoning since the argument(s) can only be accepted by someone who has already come to the same conclusions. This is why you will find pastors and evangelists who will entice a person to "accept Jesus Christ as personal Lord and savior" using passionate tones in a pleading posture. This appeal to emotion is a smokescreen; a logical fallacy intended to compel the lost to gloss over the first fallacious argument long enough to "get saved"! After that it's hugs and pamphlets, bible studies, Sunday school, and sermons that will explain everything a Christian needs to know, as long as the verses being presented mesh with that church's peculiar confession of faith or unique interpretations of select bible passages!

To properly interpret the bible, it has to be viewed in it's proper context. I'm not going to spoon-feed anyone in an attempt to convert to my way of thinking. I'm offering an invitation to ask the hard questions and face the undesirable answers that may arise.

First, how did the bible come to be arranged in that particular order with that table of contents? By what authority were these writings deemed inspired while others were not?

How did Christianity spread from Pentecost until the *4th century before the canon of the bible was declared?

Once the bible was declared complete, there were still very few of them in circulation due to the enormous cost to produce one. How did the majority of Christians learn what it contained when one would have cost appr. 5 years wages and was kept chained up for this reason?

Once the printing press arrived on the scene, bibles could be reproduced cheap enough for many to posses one. How did this actually change anything since literacy wouldn't become common until well into the twentieth century?

Why don't Sunday schools teach Church history?

Why does your pastor seem to skip over certain chapters, books, and/or verses without ever preaching on them (John 6, Matt. 25:31-46, James 2:24 are common).

Bonus question: How many entire nations have converted and become unified in doctrine and practice under the banner of the (your denomination) church?

These are the questions that must be answered first. Until one gets to the bottom of these questions, anyone can make the bible say anything they want it to say. If anyone disagrees with your interpretations, just find more verses to take out of context that will show what the bible "clearly" says. Creationists still can't agree on what the first Chapter of Genesis means, yet people are supposed to take us seriously when we tell them the bible is the inerrant word of God? That's why Our Lord is mocked freely in this age, because we keep ignoring his dire warning that a house divided against itself cannot stand.

*I had accidentally typed 3rd century before editing.
You are one hundred percent correct.
Thanks for the appreciation.
And welcome to the forum, please. I also joined a month ago.
Regards