Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

Was Mary wife of God?

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Was Mary wife of God?

If Mary was not wife of God, literally and physically then Jesus was neither Son of God nor God. Right ,please?
Regards

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Was Mary wife of God?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Was Mary wife of God?

If Mary was not wife of God, literally and physically then Jesus was neither Son of God nor God. Right ,please?
Regards

No, biblically speaking Mary is never presented as God's wife, rather as the wife of Joseph. Joseph however was not the physical father of Jesus as Jesus is reported to have been miraculously transfered to the womb of Mary while she was a virgin.

Joseph married Mary while she was already pregnant, he "adopted" Jesus raising him (Jesus) as his own son.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Children of God are defined by this, in the Bible:

Jesus answered him, "Most assuredly, I tell you, unless one is born anew, he can't see the Kingdom of God." Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb, and be born?" Jesus answered, "Most assuredly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can't enter into the Kingdom of God! That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Don't marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born anew.'
John 3:3-7

…Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

According to the Bible, God is Spirit.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

So, his children are also children spiritually.

Bible tells Mary got pregnant by the spirit.

The angel answered her, "The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore also the holy one who is born from you will be called the Son of God.
Luke 1:35

I think same as normal biological things and therefore doesn’t mean God is husband of Mary.

marco
Savant

Post #4

Post by marco »

A man may have a son to someone who is not his wife. If God impregnated Mary mystically then it can be said that the Father of Jesus was God. I don't think we can conclude that Jesus himself was God.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #5

Post by paarsurrey1 »

[Replying to post 4 by marco]
A man may have a son to someone who is not his wife. If God impregnated Mary mystically then it can be said that the Father of Jesus was God. I don't think we can conclude that Jesus himself was God.
Is one sure to conclude that Jesus was not God, please?
Regards

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote: [Replying to post 4 by marco]

Is one sure to conclude that Jesus was not God, please?
Regards
We have a man who preached a fine morality and who at each step deferred to his God whom he referred to as a father figure.

It is hard if not impossible to see how this preacher could assume not just divine status, but coequal status with the God he himself adored. It makes no sense, but then that doesn't seem an impediment in matters of faith.

Willum
Savant

Post #7

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 6 by marco]

Well, yes maybe...
To us that makes sense, but there are certain internally consistent yet paradoxical things purported by the Bible:

I am referring to "hosts" and "we," stated in the OT, and the Trinity. Opinions state there is one God, yet these are all true.

This is certainly an alien concept - yet existing on Earth: Some jellyfish are composed of distinct animals that live in a community we see as one life-form.

Gods perception of himself and one-ness could be inexplicably, or even explicably different from our own.

The concept of the "avatar," may be perfectly reasonable and possible, thus it is possible Jesus was God, or a limited piece of his consciousness... or...

alwayson
Sage

Post #8

Post by alwayson »

[Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

Paul never mentions Mary.

Mary was invented later.

Remember the Gospels are post-Paul.

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

Willum wrote:

thus it is possible Jesus was God, or a limited piece of his consciousness... or...

I agree there are logical ways of ascribing traces of divinity to Jesus. The Greeks had their demi-gods and humans who had the promiscuous Zeus as their father. The possession of prophecy or of healing powers might be considered as emanating from some divine part. All good, but the Trinity is not explained away with such ease. Jesus is not a part, with his Father and the Spirit, of a jellyfish God; he IS God, whole and entire. Using arithmetic we have three separate persons, each God, and the total is one. That makes absolutely no sense but the adoption of nonsense becomes a sign of sanctity and faith.

Mary, incidentally, plays no part in this high-powered God problem; she is a human vessel conveniently housing the incarnation of the Almighty. That, too, makes no sense, since one would suppose that God could achieve results without messing around with blood vessels and pregnancies and bed and breakfast. Still, even the best stories have their flaws. Man is an imperfect composer and narrator.

Willum
Savant

Post #10

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 9 by marco]

Well, I don't know, or necessarily agree, but I don't have a leg to stand on, either.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight