Did Jehovah forsake Jesus to die on the Cross?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

Did Jehovah forsake Jesus to die on the Cross?

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Did Jehovah forsake Jesus to die on the Cross lonely and crying?

I don't believe that.
The scribes must have got wrong information, after-all they were not there to witness the event to report it correctly. Right,please?
Regards

_______
Reference : post 9 thread "Do we have first person narrative/s from Jesus? "

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Did Jehovah forsake Jesus to die on the Cross?

Post #11

Post by ttruscott »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Did Jehovah forsake Jesus to die on the Cross lonely and crying?

I don't believe that.
The scribes must have got wrong information, after-all they were not there to witness the event to report it correctly.
Far from a cry of despair let alone the even more fanciful anti-Christian idea of a rejection of His Father for Satan, this poem is a cry of victory:
29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship;
all who go down to the dust will kneel before him—
those who cannot keep themselves alive.
30 Posterity will serve him;
future generations will be told about the Lord.
31 They will proclaim his righteousness,
declaring to a people yet unborn:

HE HAS DONE IT!

So why quote David's first words instead of the end? Because the psalms were not numbered in those days and were referred by their first line. Anyone hearing Him quote the first line would know immediately that He was claiming the victory of the end, the victory cry of the Spirit announcing the redemption of the sinful elect.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Willum
Savant

Post #12

Post by Willum »

[Replying to ttruscott]

I agree, Satan victorious!

God had to give up his son so that only a fraction of humanity would be free from Satan's power.
Before that, I assume, everyone was under Satan's power.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #13

Post by paarsurrey1 »

ttruscott wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: Did Jehovah forsake Jesus to die on the Cross lonely and crying?

I don't believe that.
The scribes must have got wrong information, after-all they were not there to witness the event to report it correctly.
Far from a cry of despair let alone the even more fanciful anti-Christian idea of a rejection of His Father for Satan, this poem is a cry of victory:
29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship;
all who go down to the dust will kneel before him—
those who cannot keep themselves alive.
30 Posterity will serve him;
future generations will be told about the Lord.
31 They will proclaim his righteousness,
declaring to a people yet unborn:

HE HAS DONE IT!

So why quote David's first words instead of the end? Because the psalms were not numbered in those days and were referred by their first line. Anyone hearing Him quote the first line would know immediately that He was claiming the victory of the end, the victory cry of the Spirit announcing the redemption of the sinful elect.
Sorry, I couldn't make up as to how one's post is related to the "First Post". Please elaborate.
Regards

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 4 by Jagella]

According to Luke Jesus' last words were "into Thy hands I commit my spirit".

I see no discrepancy between Mark's cry of dereliction and Luke's act of faith. Psychology is a tangled yarn. I have often been angry with God, and yet even as I stomp in my tantrum, there is another part of me that knows I am being a child. There is no inconsistency in saying that Jesus felt forsaken, but also believed God, despite appearances, was going to be faithful.

It is astonishing to me that we accept this complexity in life, in literature, movies, plays, everywhere. But when we see it in a religious text, suddenly things have to be black and white.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #15

Post by paarsurrey1 »

[Replying to post 14 by liamconnor]

Luke was not present when Jesus was on the Cross. His testimony of Jesus' last words cannot be accepted as truthful. Right, please?
Regards

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #16

Post by paarsurrey1 »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Jagella]

I see no discrepancy between Mark's cry of dereliction and Luke's act of faith. Psychology is a tangled yarn. I have often been angry with God, and yet even as I stomp in my tantrum, there is another part of me that knows I am being a child. There is no inconsistency in saying that Jesus felt forsaken, but also believed God, despite appearances, was going to be faithful.

It is astonishing to me that we accept this complexity in life, in literature, movies, plays, everywhere. But when we see it in a religious text, suddenly things have to be black and white.
black and white
It is because Christians claim NT Gospels as Word of God.
Regards

Savant

Post #17

Post by 1213 »

Jagella wrote: [Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

Jesus is quoted as asking his god why that god forsook him. If the quotation is accurate, then Jesus obviously believed he was forsaken. This reaction on the part of Jesus seems hypocritical. He lost his faith. He told us not to lose faith.
He didn’t lose his faith. He as faithful/loyal to God till the end. But in the end, he seems to have felt God was not there anymore. Before it, he taught that God dwells in him, but in the end, maybe God left, or he didn’t feel God’s presence anymore, because he as dying.

Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works….
John 14:10

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by liamconnor »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Jagella]

black and white
It is because Christians claim NT Gospels as Word of God.
Regards
And something that is "The Word of God" would have to be devoid of the complexities of life?

Let me ask you, would it be problematic if Jesus was not good at geography? Or that he had IBS?

Perhaps it is better to attack the Evangelical defense of the Bible as the Word of God and simply engage the bible as it is?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by ttruscott »

1213 wrote: He didn’t lose his faith. He as faithful/loyal to God till the end. But in the end, he seems to have felt God was not there anymore.
I like your work but this is nonsense...and at heart you know it. It is like saying that He had a dissociative split and did not know Himself anymore...

Read the Psalm again and tell me it is despairing...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #20

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Jesus remained steadfast and that is why his supplications in the Garden of Gethsemane was accepted. God saved his life against all odds. Jesus did not die on the Cross and lived long after these tribulations. The trials and tribulations increase one's spiritual stature. Jesus is held high among Muslims:

[2:156] And We will try you with something of fear and hunger, and loss of wealth and lives, and fruits; but give glad tidings to the patient,
[2:157] Who, when a misfortune overtakes them, say, ‘Surely, to Allah we belong and to Him shall we return.’
[2:158] It is these on whom are blessings from their Lord and mercy, and it is these who are rightly guided.
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... &verse=155

Regards