Scientifc accuracy in the Scriptures.

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

bluethread
Savant

Scientifc accuracy in the Scriptures.

Post #1

Post by bluethread »

Based on the concept of omniscience, many claim the plain language of the Scriptures should be scientifically accurate. So, if there were a verse that said that the Sun is the center of the solar system, would that make it acceptable on that basis?

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Re: Scientifc accuracy in the Scriptures.

Post #91

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 87 by dad]
Says you. However, you cannot prove that...
It is not something to be proved or disproved ... it is the definition of a word, a noun, that describes a discipline, a field of endeavor. You cannot just redefine it willy-nilly as you are attempting to do ... that doesn't get you anywhere because no one believes it but you. Your idea that nature might have been different in some way in the past is just an assertion that you very clearly can't support. You just keep repeating it as if that will make it true and explain the myths in Genesis about creation, a global flood, people living to 900+ years, etc. The problem is, there is no reason for anyone to believe in this "different past" unless you can show that it is plausible, and so far you've provided absolutely nothing towards that end ... zero.
No one questions the ability of science to pollute the earth, provide nuclear weapons, and a plethora of cancer agents, and abortions, and sex changes and etc etc.
Your disdain for science is very clear, but ignoring the countless positive things that have resulted from science also doesn't get you anywhere because the huge majority of humanity does recognize the value of science and how it has bettered their lives. You can repeat this kind of nonsense into a mirror and possibly find an interested listener, but you're not convincing anyone here I don't think.
...that aspect of what is called science, is actually religion, regardless of what anyone desires to call it.

Here are a couple more definitions from dictionary.com:

Perseverate (per-sev-er-ate):

verb (used without object), perseverated, perseverating.

1. To repeat something insistently or redundantly.

Perseveration (per-sev-uh-rey-shun n):

noun

1. The act or process of perseverating.

2. Psychiatry. the pathological, persistent repetition of a word, gesture, or act, often associated with brain damage or schizophrenia.

You've done plenty of perseverating, but have yet to produce a single piece of evidence or external support for your wild claims, and that continues.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #92

Post by H.sapiens »

dad wrote:
H.sapiens wrote: The bible is not authoritative in any fashion, it is a collection of bronze age fairy tales. If you find that evil, that's your problem, your mistake, your failure and your loss. Your attempt to raise religion to the level of science is a massive face plant.
Let's stick to your demonstrated fail to support your religion shall we? I, for one do not care what God haters think in the least. Really.
I do not subscribe to any religion so I fail to see how I could possibly fail to support one. Why would I waste time, energy and emotion hating the non-existent? That is foolish in the extreme.

dad
Scholar

Post #93

Post by dad »

H.sapiens wrote: I do not subscribe to any religion so I fail to see how I could possibly fail to support one. Why would I waste time, energy and emotion hating the non-existent? That is foolish in the extreme.
I know you prefer to call your special belief system something other than religion. Sorry.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #94

Post by benchwarmer »

dad wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: Ok, let's take the first one. Angels. In order to move forward with any inquiry, we will need a precise definition of what an angel is and what it can do. Once we have that, then we can try some experiments or at least look for some evidence of them.
That is well known.
I asked those questions, not briansbbs67. Anyways...

What is well known? What an angel is? Are you sure? If I'm asking you to provide a precise definition, then perhaps it is not so well known.
dad wrote: Angels can travel the universe in a moment of our time...less actually.
So you've witnessed this and measured their speed? What instruments did you use to observe them and measure their speed? What exactly is a 'moment of time'? 1 minute? 1 second? 1 femtosecond? Since you used the words 'less actually' I assume you actually have some data.

I think we'll stop right there and not bother with the rest of your post until you back up the above.

You've made a claim in the Science and Religion forum. You can either back this claim up or retract it as per sub forum rule 5.

I look forward to learning how to not only observe angels but clock the time it takes them to cross the universe.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #95

Post by H.sapiens »

dad wrote:
H.sapiens wrote: I do not subscribe to any religion so I fail to see how I could possibly fail to support one. Why would I waste time, energy and emotion hating the non-existent? That is foolish in the extreme.
I know you prefer to call your special belief system something other than religion. Sorry.
You have been unable to make a case, other than your own opinion, for that view. You are entitled to your own opinion, but what you are sorry about is that you do not get your own set of facts. Sorry.

dad
Scholar

Post #96

Post by dad »

H.sapiens wrote:
dad wrote:
You have been unable to make a case, other than your own opinion, for that view. You are entitled to your own opinion, but what you are sorry about is that you do not get your own set of facts. Sorry.
The case for your required and claimed same state past being a belief is made. Confirmed. Repeated over and over in your outstanding fail in being able to offer anything (aside from griping and whining) but beliefs falsely labeled as science. Please don't corrupt science threads with your religion. Thanks. Either pony up the evidence for your belief in a same state past, or remain exposed.

dad
Scholar

Post #97

Post by dad »

benchwarmer wrote:

What is well known? What an angel is? Are you sure? If I'm asking you to provide a precise definition, then perhaps it is not so well known.
Looking at the OP is see it talks of Scripture. So, angels in Scripture are well known. Well written of throughout the book. Even today, in the US, for example, we see this

"Poll: Nearly 8 in 10 Americans believe in angels"
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-nearl ... in-angels/
So you've witnessed this and measured their speed? What instruments did you use to observe them and measure their speed? What exactly is a 'moment of time'? 1 minute? 1 second? 1 femtosecond? Since you used the words 'less actually' I assume you actually have some data.
Remember the OP talks of Scripture. One example there is Daniel prayed, and when he opened his eyes, and angel was already standing there ready to answer. So that was not a lot of time to get across the universe. As for science, well it could not measure it's way out of a paper bag when it comes to the universe or angels. The thread should be 'science accuracy measured by scripture' Ha.
You've made a claim in the Science and Religion forum. You can either back this claim up or retract it as per sub forum rule 5.
Angels cannot be seen or measured by science. So take out the thread if you like, it ain't mine! It does show the limits of science though. The OP talks of what is "IN" scriptures. What we see here is that science is too small to be able to determine what is accurate or not. So we are left with the record of Scripture standing tall above science. Laughing.

As for rule 5, you should have thought of that by the OP here. Science cannot and does not cover the bible, and the bible cannot be measured by some small set of beliefs that can't cover it. Obviously. We can measure science though, and it's smallness.[/quote]

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #98

Post by benchwarmer »

dad wrote:
benchwarmer wrote:

Looking at the OP is see it talks of Scripture. So, angels in Scripture are well known. Well written of throughout the book. Even today, in the US, for example, we see this

"Poll: Nearly 8 in 10 Americans believe in angels"
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-nearl ... in-angels/
So I ask you to provide a precise definition of what you are talking about and you hand wave about scripture and 8 out 10 people believing in angels.

I'll take that as you don't have a precise definition.
dad wrote:
Remember the OP talks of Scripture. One example there is Daniel prayed, and when he opened his eyes, and angel was already standing there ready to answer. So that was not a lot of time to get across the universe. As for science, well it could not measure it's way out of a paper bag when it comes to the universe or angels. The thread should be 'science accuracy measured by scripture' Ha.
More not answering questions mixed with wild assumptions. How do you know where this angel was before Daniel prayed to it?

I see you like to make ridiculous comments about science as if it is somehow deeply flawed. The irony of you typing on your computer over the internet to make these comments is likely lost on you.
dad wrote:
Angels cannot be seen or measured by science. So take out the thread if you like, it ain't mine! It does show the limits of science though. The OP talks of what is "IN" scriptures. What we see here is that science is too small to be able to determine what is accurate or not. So we are left with the record of Scripture standing tall above science. Laughing.
So evasion. You made a claim and refuse to provide evidence. I'll consider that as claim retracted.
dad wrote: As for rule 5, you should have thought of that by the OP here. Science cannot and does not cover the bible, and the bible cannot be measured by some small set of beliefs that can't cover it. Obviously. We can measure science though, and it's smallness.
At this point all I've understood is that you have no clue what science is, yet find some odd pleasure in laughing at it. To each their own I guess.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #99

Post by Danmark »

bluethread wrote: So, if there were a verse that said that the Sun is the center of the solar system, would that make it acceptable on that basis?
:D Of course not. Even blind squirrel can find a nut. Any book, from the Bible to Mein Kampf, can contain truth. It takes no godly omniscience to declare there is a difference between animals and vegetables. For about 2500 years man has known the Earth is spherical, not flat. This fact was proved conclusively by 240 BCE. Yet the Bible, some of which was written long after this date, never suggests such a fundamental truth about the very planet we live on.

Since Christians [a majority of them at least] claim the Bible is the work of God, the Bible must be perfectly and completely accurate in order to support such a belief. Unfortunately for those with such a belief, there are dozens of scientifically innacurate statements in the Bible.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Biblical_ ... fic_errors

That reference is worth attending, if only for the amusement one receives from the laughable rationalizations offered by churchmen. :)

dad
Scholar

Post #100

Post by dad »

benchwarmer wrote: So I ask you to provide a precise definition of what you are talking about and you hand wave about scripture and 8 out 10 people believing in angels.
If the vast vast majority of people for various reasons, believe in angels, then who are you to say they are wrong?
I'll take that as you don't have a precise definition.
In the bible, angels are messengers of God, with many specific traits and abilities.
More not answering questions mixed with wild assumptions. How do you know where this angel was before Daniel prayed to it?
How do you know where Gabe wasn't? Why even talk? The bible is the authority on angels. Science is deaf dumb and blind to all things spiritual.
So evasion. You made a claim and refuse to provide evidence.
Evidence for the spiritual resides outside science. The bible for example is evidence. The meticulously preserved record that is shown true in prophesy, and in being tested in lives of real people in the hundreds of millions.

Men are like living test tubes performing tests that supersede all abilities of science.
[/quote]