Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

sue

Lioness Kills Man

Post #1

Post by sue »

Lioness in zoo kills man who invoked God

Mon Jun 5, 8:31 AM ET

KIEV (Reuters) - A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

The incident, Sunday evening when the zoo was packed with visitors, was the first of its kind at the attraction. Lions and tigers are kept in an "animal island" protected by thick concrete blocks.
Source

My question is simple: why did the lion kill the man?

Wyvern
Under Probation

Re: Lioness Kills Man

Post #2

Post by Wyvern »

My question is simple: why did the lion kill the man?

I don't know why but she should be rewarded for improving the gene pool. This guy definately deserves a darwin award.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

Afterward He [Jesus] appeared to the eleven themselves as they were reclining at the table; and He reproached them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who had seen Him after He had risen.

And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.
These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God.

And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed. And they promptly reported all these instructions to Peter and his companions. And after that, Jesus Himself sent out through them from east to west the sacred and imperishable proclamation of eternal salvation.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

upallnite
Sage

Post #4

Post by upallnite »

McC,
That is from the KJV, right? I seem to recall the drink poison and live part being an addition that does not exist in older bibles.

The dude that got ate must not have been told the Romans use to feed them to the lions. I guess this goes to show that history will repeat if you do not learn from it.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

upallnite wrote:McC,
That is from the KJV, right? I seem to recall the drink poison and live part being an addition that does not exist in older bibles.

The dude that got ate must not have been told the Romans use to feed them to the lions. I guess this goes to show that history will repeat if you do not learn from it.

Actually it is from the NASB, but the passage can be found in many modern translations. Footnotes:
  • NIV - The most reliable early manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have Mark 16:9-20.
  • English Standard Version - Some of the earliest manuscripts do not include 16:9-20.

The existence of this passage to my mind kills the very idea of Biblical inerrancy.
Gospel of John

sandycorgi

Post #6

Post by sandycorgi »

I think God wants us to do sane things and not to be totally stupid by confronting lions, just asking to be mauled.
We're not meant to test God and what this man done was an act of insanity, and so I cannot see how God was expected to step in.
There are lots of times when we can ask "where was God when this happened"?, but I don't think this is one of them.
I had to watch both my parents dying horrible deaths from cancer and can fully appreciate questioning of this nature, but not in this case.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

sandycorgi wrote:I think God wants us to do sane things and not to be totally stupid by confronting lions, just asking to be mauled.
I would agree with you. However, the writers of the Bible do not. Would you like a list?
sandycorgi wrote:We're not meant to test God and what this man done was an act of insanity, and so I cannot see how God was expected to step in. There are lots of times when we can ask "where was God when this happened"?, but I don't think this is one of them.
Just how does one distinguish between acts of faith and acts of insanity?
sandycorgi wrote:I had to watch both my parents dying horrible deaths from cancer and can fully appreciate questioning of this nature, but not in this case.
I am sorry for your loss. I guess dying horrible deaths from cancer is just part of the loving Heavenly Father's plan. I am not trying to be flippant, but believers and unbelievers all indiscriminately die from cancer in other horrible ways. How can you still believe in God's lovingkindness?
Gospel of John

sandycorgi

Post #8

Post by sandycorgi »

McCulloch.....................I think we all know what an act of insanity is

Stepping in to a pride of lions, diving out in front of a car for no reason.......I shouldn't really need to explain something like that.

Sometimes people can get far too pedantic and are only interested in point scoring, and I'm not interested in that.

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by Wyvern »

sandycorgi wrote:

McCulloch.....................I think we all know what an act of insanity is

Stepping in to a pride of lions, diving out in front of a car for no reason.......I shouldn't really need to explain something like that.

Sometimes people can get far too pedantic and are only interested in point scoring, and I'm not interested in that.
I think the big thing is differentiating between insanity and an act of faith since both can seem to be the same from time to time. Like the man that stood in front of the tanks in Tiannemen square, was that the acts of an insane person or an act of faith or an act of bravery? How do you decide which is which?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by McCulloch »

sandycorgi wrote:McCulloch.....................I think we all know what an act of insanity is

Going to sacrifice your only son because a god has told you to do so. I think that I know what an act of insanity is. I just don't quite know how it is different from certain acts of faith.
sandycorgi wrote:Sometimes people can get far too pedantic and are only interested in point scoring, and I'm not interested in that.
Neither am I.
Gospel of John