What does politics have to do with Religion?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

What does politics have to do with Religion?

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Religion has got nothing to do essentially with Politics.
Religion is for solving the ethical, moral and spiritual issue of the humanity. Right, please?
What politics did Buddha, Krishna, Zoroaster, Moses, Jesus and Socrates etc play?
Regards

Neatras
Guru

Post #2

Post by Neatras »

For what it's worth, when you believe currying favor with a deity is tied to cultural health, economic prosperity, etc. you'll try to form parties with enough influence to get the population to curry favor along with you.

This is how ancient Greek civilizations operated. They would often have entire cities whose dedicated patron deity was one of the pantheon; this wasn't due to specific love or affection for the deity. It was seen as a strategic way of dividing up the labor of trying to appease a whole menagerie of imagined god concepts, from Athena to Poseidon to Aphrodite. Why bother worshiping every single god, when you can live in a town that makes offerings to Poseidon, while knowing your neighboring city will take care of Zeus?

The problem is that there are deities which demand worship. And the worshipers try and compel others to worship by political or even violent force. It's no wonder then, that these zealots try to stick their hand into politics.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: What does politics have to do with Religion?

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

I can understand why you left out Mohammed.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #4

Post by paarsurrey1 »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Religion has got nothing to do essentially with Politics.
Religion is for solving the ethical, moral and spiritual issue of the humanity. Right, please?
What politics did Buddha, Krishna, Zoroaster, Moses, Jesus and Socrates etc play?
Regards
Neatras wrote: For what it's worth, when you believe currying favor with a deity is tied to cultural health, economic prosperity, etc. you'll try to form parties with enough influence to get the population to curry favor along with you.

This is how ancient Greek civilizations operated. They would often have entire cities whose dedicated patron deity was one of the pantheon; this wasn't due to specific love or affection for the deity. It was seen as a strategic way of dividing up the labor of trying to appease a whole menagerie of imagined god concepts, from Athena to Poseidon to Aphrodite. Why bother worshiping every single god, when you can live in a town that makes offerings to Poseidon, while knowing your neighboring city will take care of Zeus?

The problem is that there are deities which demand worship. And the worshipers try and compel others to worship by political or even violent force. It's no wonder then, that these zealots try to stick their hand into politics.
Please prove one's view point from the founders of great religions mentioned above.
Regards

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

Religion is the set of prescribed behaviors that follow from a philosophy, general used to refer to theistic philosophies. Politics is the process of establishing a set of behaviors that are acceptable for a particular population. Therefore, politics is the means by which the people seek to establish a set of behaviors, i.e. religion, for a particular population that follow from their preferred philosophy.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #6

Post by paarsurrey1 »

bluethread wrote: Religion is the set of prescribed behaviors that follow from a philosophy, general used to refer to theistic philosophies. Politics is the process of establishing a set of behaviors that are acceptable for a particular population. Therefore, politics is the means by which the people seek to establish a set of behaviors, i.e. religion, for a particular population that follow from their preferred philosophy.
I don't agree with one. An individual following the truthful religion is not doing any politics. Right, please?
Regards

Elijah John
Savant

Post #7

Post by Elijah John »

McCulloch wrote: [Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

I can understand why you left out Mohammed.
The word "Sharia" comes to mind.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #8

Post by JP Cusick »

Regards
McCulloch wrote: I can understand why you left out Mohammed.
I see religion as so close to politics that if politics were done correctly then the two words would rightly be synonyms.

Politics and religion are indeed the same thing, and each one breaks down as either tries to separate itself.

Politics without religion can not stand very long, and religion without politics is a worthless endeavor.

My view of Muhammad and of Islam is that they do rightfully connect politics and religion, and so they set the right example for others to see.

For any commandment or doctrine - as like do not lie, do not murder, do not steal, etc - then they apply to government just as to individuals.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #9

Post by paarsurrey1 »

JP Cusick wrote:
Regards
McCulloch wrote: I can understand why you left out Mohammed.
I see religion as so close to politics that if politics were done correctly then the two words would rightly be synonyms.

Politics and religion are indeed the same thing, and each one breaks down as either tries to separate itself.

Politics without religion can not stand very long, and religion without politics is a worthless endeavor.

My view of Muhammad and of Islam is that they do rightfully connect politics and religion, and so they set the right example for others to see.

For any commandment or doctrine - as like do not lie, do not murder, do not steal, etc - then they apply to government just as to individuals.
Politics is done to gain power in a land. Muhammad never had any ambition or mission to gain power. The Meccans voluntarily were ready to make Muhammad a ruler, but Muhammad refused to accept this offer.

Religion is for solving the ethical, moral and spiritual issue of the humanity.
Muhammad was appointed a messenger/prophet by One-True-God, with a clear message from Him, that was essential for solving ethical, moral and spiritual issues of humanity, like other founders of other great religions, namely Buddha, Krishna, Zoroaster, Moses, Jesus, and Socrates etc. Right, please?
Regards

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #10

Post by JP Cusick »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Politics is done to gain power in a land. Muhammad never had any ambition or mission to gain power. The Meccans voluntarily were ready to make Muhammad a ruler, but Muhammad refused to accept this offer.

Religion is for solving the ethical, moral and spiritual issue of the humanity.
Muhammad was appointed a messenger/prophet by One-True-God, with a clear message from Him, that was essential for solving ethical, moral and spiritual issues of humanity, like other founders of other great religions, namely Buddha, Krishna, Zoroaster, Moses, Jesus, and Socrates etc. Right, please?
Regards
I was not really trying to say that Muhammad his-self ever tried to be the ruler, but the religion that he started = the religion of Islam has always viewed religion and government as connected.

The best of government needs to a Theocracy or closely aligned with the Theocracy, but of course it needs to be done right.

The Bible tells about a coming Kingdom of God on earth as it is in Heaven = and that Kingdom is a Theocracy, or government of God.

The USA made an ignorant mistake in its first Amendment by demanding the separation of church from State, because that was the beginning of the vast legalized immorality that we have ongoing today.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian: