Did Paul base creeds on “mystery� or blind-faith?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

Did Paul base creeds on “mystery� or blind-faith?

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Did Paul base creeds on “mystery� to make Christianity a blind-faith?

But Jesus believed with reason.
Paul, for his own suitability, wanted that people should inculcate blind-faith in them instead of reason and Revelation from God, to bring them under his control.
The truthful Religion has got nothing to do with blind-faith, please.
Regards

Monta
Guru

Re: Did Paul base creeds on “mystery� or blind-faith?

Post #41

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 40 by Elijah John]

"How come in Jesus most important Sermon, (Matthew 5-7) he makes no mention of the importance of believing in his impending death and resurrection, for forgiveness or salvation? Not mention there....at all."

That and a lot more was commanded by Jesus to be preached by his disciples/apostols.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #42

Post by onewithhim »

Elijah John wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: [Replying to Elijah John]
A better word may be that he* "encountered" the Risen Christ, who presumably spoke to him from a cloud.
(*Paul)
But Paul was not a witness of Jesus going to the skies/heaven to start with.

Regards
True, but still, an encounter with the "Risen Christ" gives him an unfair advantage over the rest of us, who have not been so fortunate.

So it is easy for Paul to say "believe in your heart that God raised him (Christ) from the dead, and you will be saved".

That is an added condition for salvation that Paul introduced. A condition for salvation that Jesus never made. Very unfair of Paul to have done this, I doubt very much that God would be unfair like that.
No, it was not an "added condition" that Paul introduced. It has been explained that Paul was merely reiterating what Jesus had said previously, e.g., at John 3:16.
How's that? Seems a stretch to say the least...I don't see the connection. Jesus resurrection is not even mentioned in that verse.
Does it not say that we must "believe in him [God's only-begotten Son]," and if we believe in him we will not perish but have everlasting life?

What does "believing in him" include? Wouldn't it be whatever he said and did and whatever he stood for? It would, basically, be everything about him, right?

Didn't he say that he would be killed and "the third day will be raised up"? (Matthew 17:23)
According to Matthew he did, but did not specify believing that as a condition for salvation.

How are you so sure that "believing in him" doesn't mean believing in his teaching?
That's what I said---we believe everything about him, and that includes his teaching. He said what I quoted from Matthew 17:23. If you don't believe that he said that, then you can't believe any of the scriptures that venture to state what he said.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #43

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Elijah John wrote:
A better word may be that he* "encountered" the Risen Christ, who presumably spoke to him from a cloud.
(*Paul)

Regards
True, but still, an encounter with the "Risen Christ" gives him an unfair advantage over the rest of us, who have not been so fortunate.

So it is easy for Paul to say "believe in your heart that God raised him (Christ) from the dead, and you will be saved".

That is an added condition for salvation that Paul introduced. A condition for salvation that Jesus never made. Very unfair of Paul to have done this, I doubt very much that God would be unfair like that.
"Risen Christ" gives him (Paul) an unfair advantage over the rest of us
It is just a blind-faith, not a reasonable and rational faith that Jesus preached.
Paul did not meet Jesus personally.
He just stated that Jesus had met him in a vision.
Jesus did not declare Paul a trust-worthy person. Did he, please?
Regards

Elijah John
Savant

Post #44

Post by Elijah John »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
(*Paul)

Regards

It is just a blind-faith, not a reasonable and rational faith that Jesus preached.
Regards
No, I don't believe Jesus ever did declare such a thing. Unless by implication, by virtue of Jesus speaking to Paul from the could.

I am skeptical of such a claim.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #45

Post by onewithhim »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
(*Paul)

Regards

Regards
You say that Jesus preached "just a blind-faith" and not reasonable or rational? How so?

Paul did not say that he met Jesus "in a vision." A vision would be seeing something that wasn't really there. The scripture says that "suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him [Paul, then Saul]." (Acts 9:3) There is nothing about it being a "vision." We can take it to the bank that Paul encountered Jesus himself.

Of course Jesus "declared" Paul a trustworthy person.....by sending him out to go into Damascus and do something according to what He wanted done. Jesus went on to say to a man called Ananias that Saul would be in a certain house and that he should go and lay his hands on this man Saul. Ananias objected and Jesus said, "Be on your way, because this man is a chosen vessel to me to bear my name to the nations as well as to kings and the sons of Israel." (Acts 9:15)

Monta
Guru

Post #46

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 45 by onewithhim]

"You say that Jesus preached "just a blind-faith" and not reasonable or rational? How so?

Paul did not say that he met Jesus "in a vision." A vision would be seeing something that wasn't really there. The scripture says that "suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him [Paul, then Saul]." (Acts 9:3) There is nothing about it being a "vision." We can take it to the bank that Paul encountered Jesus himself. "

Thank you for this correction. Nice to get it right.
Some people either do not know the scripture, perhaps never read it only what they hear here and there, or intentionally misconstrue it.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #47

Post by paarsurrey1 »

onewithhim wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
(*Paul)

Regards

Regards
You say that Jesus preached "just a blind-faith" and not reasonable or rational? How so?

Paul did not say that he met Jesus "in a vision." A vision would be seeing something that wasn't really there. The scripture says that "suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him [Paul, then Saul]." (Acts 9:3) There is nothing about it being a "vision." We can take it to the bank that Paul encountered Jesus himself.

Of course Jesus "declared" Paul a trustworthy person.....by sending him out to go into Damascus and do something according to what He wanted done. Jesus went on to say to a man called Ananias that Saul would be in a certain house and that he should go and lay his hands on this man Saul. Ananias objected and Jesus said, "Be on your way, because this man is a chosen vessel to me to bear my name to the nations as well as to kings and the sons of Israel." (Acts 9:15)
I didn't say that Jesus preached "just a blind -faith". Did I, please?
Regards

marco
Savant

Post #48

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
Let us be scrupulously fair. For many Paul is regarded with some reverence. If we throw him out because he simply "claimed" to have had a vision, then we must throw out Muhammad who also "claimed" to have a vision. And worse, he claimed to have made a night journey on a winged horse. Paul's horse had no wings. Do we think that endowing a horse with flappers enables it to fly? Daedalus, in Greek mythology, gave his son Icarus wings, in the same mistaken belief.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #49

Post by onewithhim »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 45 by onewithhim]

"You say that Jesus preached "just a blind-faith" and not reasonable or rational? How so?

Paul did not say that he met Jesus "in a vision." A vision would be seeing something that wasn't really there. The scripture says that "suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him [Paul, then Saul]." (Acts 9:3) There is nothing about it being a "vision." We can take it to the bank that Paul encountered Jesus himself. "

Thank you for this correction. Nice to get it right.
Some people either do not know the scripture, perhaps never read it only what they hear here and there, or intentionally misconstrue it.
I am interested to know how you arrived at the idea that Jesus preached "blind faith" and was not reasonable nor rational. (Or was that paar?)
Last edited by onewithhim on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #50

Post by onewithhim »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
(*Paul)

Regards

Regards

I didn't say that Jesus preached "just a blind -faith". Did I, please?
Regards
Yes, in your post #43.