Are you trying to alleviate suffering?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Are you trying to alleviate suffering?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Do you think people that are trying to save the world (eg: fight climate change) are trying to alleviate suffering?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

I can't speak for other people. However, I totally support taking action to reverse the damage we have done to our planet's atmosphere. My reasons for supporting this stem from my love of our planet and nature, and concern for the long-term survival of humanity on planet earth.

I really don't think of this in terms of trying to alleviate suffering. I also have to confess that I'm sometimes not thoroughly convinced that humanity as a whole is worth saving. But when I think like that I need to keep reminding myself that we might eventually evolve to become more intelligent overall. Although it certainly doesn't currently appear that we are heading in that direction. To the contrary, sometimes it appears that we are actually devolving. And that may actually be true. Only time will tell.

Although, without an inhabitable planet time isn't going to do much good. So keeping spaceship Earth in good running condition is clearly a high priority if we're going to even think about the long-term survival of the human species. So paying attention to the quality of our thin atmosphere is paramount to the survival of our species.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Are you trying to alleviate suffering?

Post #3

Post by Bust Nak »

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Bust Nak]

Yes but what if in order to save the world we have to reduce the human population by half?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

If you have to pick between the planet or the people what do you pick?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #6

Post by Bust Nak »

Wootah wrote: Yes but what if in order to save the world we have to reduce the human population by half?
Then we reduce it while alleviating as much suffering as possible.

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Bust Nak]

What would you suggest we do?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #8

Post by Bust Nak »

Wootah wrote: What would you suggest we do?
Start educating girls/women, empower them to be more than breeders in deprived areas; improve medical care to decrease infant mortality rate; easy access to birth control.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #9

Post by JP Cusick »

Wootah wrote: Do you think people that are trying to save the world (eg: fight climate change) are trying to alleviate suffering?
I say no - that is not accurate.

In fact I do not see any one trying to save the world in any way - is thereby trying to alleviate suffering.

It is more like driving our car safely - because we want to preserve our car and our self - and the point is not to just to avoid having a painful crash.

If a person was really trying to avoid the suffering of a crash - then they would not drive, and would not fly, nor do any dangerous activity.

If the car crash does happen - then we try to salvage what we can.

We want to save the earth because we like the earth - and not because we are afraid or avoiding the destruction or the suffering which would come.

In fact if the world does get destroyed or just polluted beyond our health - then I figure most people would hope that there will be great suffering to humanity because we deserve the suffering.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian: