Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

Is God really not a Spirit?

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

I put the above question to everyone here courtesy our friend JP Cusick:
I kind-of agree that God is not really a Spirit because God created the Spirit world before creating the physical world.
As such even the Spirits of the Spirit world do not correctly know what is the Creator God?
I agree that the real Creator God can be seen in its attributes and qualities; much like science does for magnetism and gravity which are invisible and are not physical.

And I agree too with you about the absolutes, but the absolutes are by far the hardest to find.

Regards

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #2

Post by paarsurrey1 »

My take is that God is attributive, neither physical nor a spirit, His attributes are found reflected everywhere as positive verities in absolutes. Science deals in things that are physical and material. He is known from the brilliant signs He manifests in us and out of us.
Regards.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Is God really not a Spirit?

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

"God is a Spirit" - JESUS CHRIST (John 4:24 KJV)
" God is not really a Spirit "

" God is attributive, neither physical nor a spirit" - paarsurrey1

Who to believe? Who to believe?!
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by 2timothy316 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

Jesus would know, right? IMHO.

Just because God was first doesn't change His form. That would be like saying a parent that gives birth to a child is suddenly no longer considered human.

Sometimes its seems that mankind can think themselves into the ridiculous, the Twilight Zone. :confused2:

tigger2
Sage

Post #5

Post by tigger2 »

John 4:24:
God is a Spirit - KJV.
God is a spirit. - GW.
God is spirit - CSB.
God is Spirit, - CEV.

Notice the varying translations. There are those that take 'spirit' as an 'essence' or 'substance' such as 'flesh.' They have, therefore written 'spirit' without the indefinite article ('a') - a non-count noun.

Notice that some of them Capitalize 'Spirit' and some do not ('spirit').

Then there are some which do use the indefinite article. They are saying He is a spirit person - a count noun.

I haven't found a Bible that says 'God is the Spirit' here. If there are any, they must be greatly in the minority. You'd think that trinitarian translators would take advantage of such an ambiguous scripture in NT Greek and render it 'God is the Spirit.' This would match their terrible misuse of John's NT Grammar use at John 1:1c.

The problem is that 4:24 literally reads in the NT Greek: 'spirit the God' (Πνεῦμα � Θεός). There is no verb, although most scholars understand 'is' after 'spirit.'

So, in that case, we have an anarthrous 'spirit' coming before its verb (Colwell Construction). So if most trinitarians' use of Colwell's Rule is correct, this SHOULD be translated as 'God is the Spirit.' (Compare John 1:1c.)

But as all in all other proper examples of 'Colwell's Constructions' found in John, we find an indefinite 'a spirit' instead. Or, since it is so ambiguous, we can understand 'spirit' here to be a non-count noun (non-countable substance or amount) = 'spirit' or 'Spirit' without article.

tigger2
Sage

Post #6

Post by tigger2 »

God is a Spirit - KJV.
God is a spirit. - GW.
God is spirit - CSB.
God is Spirit, - CEV.

Notice the varying translations. There are those that take 'spirit' as an 'essence' or 'substance' such as 'flesh.' They have, therefore written 'spirit' without the indefinite article ('a') - a non-count noun.

Then there are some which do use the indefinite article. They are saying He is a spirit person - a count noun.

I haven't found a Bible that says 'God is the Spirit' here. If there are any, they must be greatly in the minority. You'd think that trinitarian translators would take advantage of such an ambiguous scripture in NT Greek and render it 'God is the Spirit.'

The problem is that it literally reads in the NT Greek: 'spirit the God' (Πνεῦμα � Θεός). There is no verb, although most scholars understand 'is' after 'spirit.' So we have an anarthrous 'spirit' coming before its verb (Colwell Construction). So if most trinitarians' use of Colwell's Rule is correct, this SHOULD be translated as 'God is the Spirit.' (Compare John 1:1c)

But as all in all proper examples of Colwell's Constructions found in John, we find an indefinite 'a spirit' instead. Or, since it is so ambiguous, we can understand 'spirit' here to be a non-count noun (non-countable substance or amount) = 'spirit' or 'Spirit' without article in translation.

tigger2
Sage

Post #7

Post by tigger2 »

God is a Spirit - KJV.
God is a spirit. - GW.
God is spirit - CSB.
God is Spirit, - CEV.

I haven't found a Bible that says 'God is the Spirit' here. If there are any, they must be greatly in the minority. You'd think that trinitarian translators would take advantage of such an ambiguous scripture in NT Greek and render it 'God is the Spirit' as they mistranslated John 1:1c also.

The problem is that 4:24 literally reads in the NT Greek: 'spirit the God' (Πνεῦμα � Θεός). There is no verb, although most scholars understand 'is' after 'spirit.'

So we have an anarthrous 'spirit' coming before its verb (Colwell Construction). So if the way most trinitarians use Colwell's Rule is correct, this SHOULD be translated as 'God is the Spirit.'

But as all in all proper examples of Colwell's Constructions found in John, we find an indefinite 'a spirit' instead. Or, since it is so ambiguous, we can understand 'spirit' here to be a non-count noun (non-countable substance or amount) = 'spirit' or 'Spirit' without article.

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]
Is God really not a Spirit
Spirit=ghost=consciousness=invisible outside of form=common understanding of 'GOD'

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote:

He is known from the brilliant signs He manifests in us and out of us.
Regards.
So we look at Einstein and deduce God. Fine. And we look at a stillborn baby and deduce God? We see atrocities committed and deduce God? We run from a hurricane and deduce God's work?

Why should we credit God with the good that's done and forget all the evil?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #10

Post by onewithhim »

paarsurrey1 wrote: I put the above question to everyone here courtesy our friend JP Cusick:
I kind-of agree that God is not really a Spirit because God created the Spirit world before creating the physical world.
As such even the Spirits of the Spirit world do not correctly know what is the Creator God?
I agree that the real Creator God can be seen in its attributes and qualities; much like science does for magnetism and gravity which are invisible and are not physical.

And I agree too with you about the absolutes, but the absolutes are by far the hardest to find.

Regards
I disagree with the question. Of course God is a spirit being. How could a physical being create anything? The spirit realm is wondrous beyond our comprehension.

The Scriptures also state clearly that God is a Spirit (John 4:24).