Did Jesus believe in anything/person out of blind-faith?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Did Jesus believe in anything/person out of blind-faith?

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Jesus did not believe anything out of blind-faith, why should his followers believe out of blind-faith, please?
Regards

___________
One may like to read Post 31 "Scientific Method is useless in religion and or philosophy?"
Debating Christianity and Religion Forum Index -> Science and Religion

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Did Jesus believe in anything/person out of blind-faith?

Post by paarsurrey1 »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Jesus did not believe anything out of blind-faith, why should his followers believe out of blind-faith, please?
Regards

___________
One may like to read Post 31 "Scientific Method is useless in religion and or philosophy?"
Debating Christianity and Religion Forum Index -> Science and Religion
To add further:

Jesus like Moses believed in One-True-God.
One of the attributes of God is All-Wise. He has bestowed reason and wisdom to the human beings, why should God then want that humans should believe Him in blind-faith, please?
Regards

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Post by paarsurrey1 »

One of the qualities of believers is:

[25:73] And those who bear not false witness, and when they pass by anything vain, they pass on with dignity;
[25:74] And those who, when they are reminded of the Signs of their Lord, fall not deaf and blind thereat;
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... 5&verse=73

The believers are to be reasonable and rational, in matters pertaining to ethical moral or spiritual domains on bases of Word Revealed on their founder, and in the secular matters on sciences, please.
Regards

User avatar
Neatras
Guru
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Oklahoma, US

Post by Neatras »

paarsurrey1 wrote: The believers are to be reasonable and rational, in matters pertaining to ethical moral or spiritual domains on bases of Word Revealed on their founder, and in the secular matters on sciences, please.
Regards
They are to be reasonable and rational in matters pertaining to the secular matters on science?

You're going to need to elaborate. Does that mean a believer is going to have a divinely inspired understanding of scientific fields? Does that mean a believer is going to utilize methodologies that yield scientifically valid conclusions? Does that mean a believer can understand scientific insights without proper training expertise in the specific field?

Too many times I've run into Christians who believe that they are so wise, so right, that they don't need to learn anything about science. Their convictions give them the ability to criticize vastly complex scientific fields. They use their beliefs to claim that evolution must be false, and when someone with actual knowledge steps forward to rebuff their claims, they continue on with blatant stubbornness.

Is that the kind of understanding and reasonable behavior you talk about? What is it about being a Christian specifically that requires or allows the believer to be competent at science? Shouldn't scientific expertise and intellectual integrity be aspects of a person's character that are dependent on their experience, education, and willingness to observe the world, not in how zealous they are in worshiping their preferred deity?

Monta
Guru
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:29 am

Re: Did Jesus believe in anything/person out of blind-faith?

Post by Monta »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: Jesus did not believe anything out of blind-faith, why should his followers believe out of blind-faith, please?
Regards

___________
One may like to read Post 31 "Scientific Method is useless in religion and or philosophy?"
Debating Christianity and Religion Forum Index -> Science and Religion
To add further:

Jesus like Moses believed in One-True-God.
One of the attributes of God is All-Wise. He has bestowed reason and wisdom to the human beings, why should God then want that humans should believe Him in blind-faith, please?
Regards
I never thought that God wanted us to believe in him in blind faith.
Why do you?

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Did Jesus believe in anything/person out of blind-faith?

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Monta wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: Jesus did not believe anything out of blind-faith, why should his followers believe out of blind-faith, please?
Regards

___________
One may like to read Post 31 "Scientific Method is useless in religion and or philosophy?"
Debating Christianity and Religion Forum Index -> Science and Religion
To add further:

Jesus like Moses believed in One-True-God.
One of the attributes of God is All-Wise. He has bestowed reason and wisdom to the human beings, why should God then want that humans should believe Him in blind-faith, please?
Regards
I never thought that God wanted us to believe in him in blind faith.
Why do you?
I also believe in faith, not in blind-faith. I go with reason as far as reason could go and lead me, and wisdom demands that reason has reached its limits into the domain where the Word of Revelation is only valid, I go with secure and protected truthful Word of Revelation.
Right, please?
Regards

Monta
Guru
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:29 am

Re: Did Jesus believe in anything/person out of blind-faith?

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 6 by paarsurrey1]


"I also believe in faith, not in blind-faith. I go with reason as far as reason could go and lead me, and wisdom demands that reason has reached its limits into the domain where the Word of Revelation is only valid, I go with secure and protected truthful Word of Revelation. "

In that case I am confused, don't understand your argument re blind faith.
Are you saying that 'other' believers are practicing blind faith?

User avatar
marco
Savant
Posts: 12313
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:15 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Did Jesus believe in anything/person out of blind-faith?

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote:

I also believe in faith, not in blind-faith. I go with reason as far as reason could go and lead me, and wisdom demands that reason has reached its limits into the domain where the Word of Revelation is only valid, I go with secure and protected truthful Word of Revelation.
You assume that all humans are possessed of good reasoning powers. God did not make us all equal in that respect so some poor souls, a vast number in fact, cannot use reason in the clever way you do. Millions operate on bind faith.

Jesus, being favoured, didn't really need reason. Others who are not Jesus rely on blind faith. If reason always reached God, then there would be no clever atheists or agnostics.

But I suspect you already hold that view. Go well.

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Did Jesus believe in anything/person out of blind-faith?

Post by paarsurrey1 »

marco wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:

I also believe in faith, not in blind-faith. I go with reason as far as reason could go and lead me, and wisdom demands that reason has reached its limits into the domain where the Word of Revelation is only valid, I go with secure and protected truthful Word of Revelation.
You assume that all humans are possessed of good reasoning powers. God did not make us all equal in that respect so some poor souls, a vast number in fact, cannot use reason in the clever way you do. Millions operate on bind faith.

Jesus, being favoured, didn't really need reason. Others who are not Jesus rely on blind faith. If reason always reached God, then there would be no clever atheists or agnostics.

But I suspect you already hold that view. Go well.
If reason always reached God, then there would be no clever atheists or agnostics.
There we both agree.
Reason has its limitations, it cannot fly to any length alone without a conjugal partner that it always needs. It needs science, mathematics, philosophy, history, archaeology etc, in the physical and material realm and Word of Revelation in the ethical, moral and spiritual realms.
It is for this that I say that I go with reason as reason could go.
Right, please?
Regards

Post Reply