Jesus "Divinity", statues, paintings etc..

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Jesus "Divinity", statues, paintings etc..

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

If Jesus is "God" then are pictures and statues of him a violation of the 2nd Commandment against graven images?

If not, why not.

Is there an exemption for the Incarnation?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Re: Jesus "Divinity", statues, paintings etc..

Post #11

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 5 by paarsurrey1]

Right, in that I agree with you that Jesus is not God nor is he the "only begotten Son of God".

Even the New Testament does not teach that Jesus is God, and only the GoJ comes very, very close, with the prologue, and the "I AM" statements.

But the Church builds it's dogma and doctrine on the Gospel of John and the letters of Paul. And goes beyond even them.

And the OP points out the irony that if Jesus is God, as the Church says he is, then shouldn't they refrain from populating statues and images of their God Jesus within their walls? No matter how beautiful or artistic?
Right, in that I agree with you that Jesus is not God nor is he the "only begotten Son of God".
Thanks for agreeing with the above Truth.

The One-True-God further informs the humanity:

[29:25] And the only answer of his people was that they said, ‘Slay him or burn him.’ But Allah* saved him from the fire. In that surely are Signs for a people who would believe.
[29:26] And he said, ‘Verily you have taken for yourselves idols beside Allah, out of love for each other in the present life. Then on the Day of Resurrection you will deny each other, and curse each other. And your abode will be the Fire; and you will have no helpers.’
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... 9&verse=25
*The One-True-God

Verse [29:25] describes what the people who worshiped the idols gave an edict against Abraham to be put in fire only because he did not worship the idols and did not like that they should worship the idols. The idols distract one's attention when one is performing the worship. God is available and accessible directly to every human all the time and all the place, why put intercessors in between.
Christians should follow the example of Abraham. Don't they believe that Abraham was a messenger/prophet of the One-True-God, please?

Regards

marco
Savant

Post #12

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
Don't they believe that Abraham was a messenger/prophet of the One-True-God, please?

Regards
We have no pictures of Abraham and stories written about him came a thousand years after he died. There are anachronisms in the stories around him. So one would suspect Abraham did not exist, far less be a prophet of God.

He died relatively young, a sprightly 175 years!

Monta
Guru

Post #13

Post by Monta »

Elijah John wrote: If Jesus is "God" then are pictures and statues of him a violation of the 2nd Commandment against graven images?

If not, why not.

Is there an exemption for the Incarnation?
A painting of Jesus is hardly a graven image
just as a paintings of my children are hardly graven images.

That is quite different from a golden calf which actually was worshiped.

marco
Savant

Post #14

Post by marco »

Monta wrote:

A painting of Jesus is hardly a graven image
just as a paintings of my children are hardly graven images.

That is quite different from a golden calf which actually was worshiped.

I would agree but there are many who read God's instructions and shudder at the thought of disregarding him. In Islam you'd have your head chopped off for naming your teddy Muhammad, never mind drawing a picture of him. So people do take these matters seriously, affecting the rest of us when they do. We have one foot in the dark ages.