Is Jesus the son of man or?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Prince
Scholar

Is Jesus the son of man or?

Post #1

Post by Prince »

In scripture the servant of God is described as eating and drinking but sinners do not eat and drink.
Jesus says the Son of man came eating and drinking. In stating that He is saying that the Son of man is the Servant of God. So when He speaks of the Son of man he is not speaking of only Himself.
Let us not forget that He said that there would be a time when the Son of man would be revealed.

Re;

Isaiah 65:13 NRS

" Therefore thus says the Lord God: My servants shall eat, but you shall be hungry; my servants shall drink, but you shall be thirsty; my servants shall rejoice, but you shall be put to shame; "

Matthew 11:19
" the Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, "Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds."

Luke 17:30 NRS

30 —it will be like that on the day that the Son of Man is revealed.

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

The you in Isaiah 65 is the 'bad people' not the Son of Man.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

dio9
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by dio9 »

there are two son's of man, that of the Prophets and the supernatural one of Daniel. Who was Jesus talking about is a good question. I tend to think he referred to himself in the prophets sense, as a man.

Prince
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Prince »

Wootah wrote: The you in Isaiah 65 is the 'bad people' not the Son of Man.
What Isaiah 65 is referring to is that it is the servant of God who eats and drinks so as Jesus said that the son of man came eating and drinking this proves that the son of man is the servant of God not only Jesus.

The son of man is a multitude of persons but considered one.

Also since scripture says Israel is the son and servant of God then the son of man is Israel, the servant of God.

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

Prince wrote:

Also since scripture says Israel is the son and servant of God then the son of man is Israel, the servant of God.

Clever stuff. Why do you suppose one has to dig deep to extract a meaning when simple words would suffice? The problem with prophecy and grandiose oratory is that it allows a host of interpretations. Blessed is he who discovers the right one.

bjs
Prodigy

Re: Is Jesus the son of man or?

Post #6

Post by bjs »

[Replying to Prince]

Jesus explicitly stated that when he used the phrase “son of man� he was referring to himself.

John 9:35-38 says:
Jesus heard that they had thrown him out, and when he found him, he said, “Do you believe in the Son of Man?�
“Who is he, sir?� the man asked. “Tell me so that I may believe in him.�
Jesus said, “You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you.�
Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,� and he worshiped him.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Willum
Savant

Post #7

Post by Willum »

Now, you seeI don't have any patience with the Bible: I'll examine all possible meanings, and not reject any one.

But I'll run you down my usual paradigms:

There are two versions of Jesus: The Bibles, and the local Jews of the time.

Let's start with the Jews: They believed he was the son of Tiberius Panderia, a Roman soldier who seduced or raped a girl in their occupied city. Perhaps she was honestly in denial, rape is stressful.
This has obvious implications.

Now we may examine the Bible's:
Nowhere in the Bible does it say lineage is determined by the woman. It is a Jewish tradition, that was NOT in effect when Jesus was born.
But, if divine, his father would be God, not Joseph, and Mary is not from the house of David. Neither is God. Indeed, if we vulgarly insert reality into this, we find God's genetics would be so overwhelming that he could have produced Jesus from a Kangaroo (and it would have been more dramatic,) so no matter what the Bible says about Jesus, it is wrong.

Now you will admit that, either way, the Jews of the time had no reason to believe he was in anyway divine. In fact, they insisted upon hi crucifixion.

Hmmm... not an awful lot of choices.

Prince
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Prince »

marco wrote:
Prince wrote:

Clever stuff. Why do you suppose one has to dig deep to extract a meaning when simple words would suffice? The problem with prophecy and grandiose oratory is that it allows a host of interpretations. Blessed is he who discovers the right one.

Jesus stated that only those who keep His commandments will be loved by Himself and His Father and He would reveal Himself to Him.

He also said there would be a time when the Son of man is revealed.

RE;

"The man who keeps the commandments he has from me is the man who loves me and the man who loves me will be loved by my Father, I too shall love him and reveal myself to him." ( Jesus)

Like 17:22

Then he said to the disciples, "The days are coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it. 23 They will say to you, "Look there!' or "Look here!' Do not go, do not set off in pursuit. 24 For as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in his day. 25 But first he must endure much suffering and be rejected by this generation. 26 Just as it was in the days of Noah, so too it will be in the days of the Son of Man. 27 They were eating and drinking, and marrying and being given in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed all of them. 28 Likewise, just as it was in the days of Lot: they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, 29 but on the day that Lot left Sodom, it rained fire and sulfur from heaven and destroyed all of them 30 —it will be like that on the day that the Son of Man is revealed.

Willum
Savant

Post #9

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 8 by Prince]
Jesus stated that only those who keep His commandments will be loved by Himself and His Father and He would reveal Himself to Him.
Jesus, and God, say many things, but indeed do not practice what they preach.
Who has killed, directly or by proxy,more men than God?

Though Jesus was never married, we have him prevent the Biblical-directed punishment of being stoned for the adulteress. There is no cause in the Bible that only the sinless may enforce punishment, and so adultery is a commandment Jesus abrogated.

Or is anyone ever stoned for adultery since?

Then there is the other famous story:
This is a tribute penny, a token with the graven image of the man-god, Caesar, with the text proclaiming his divinity, and on the obverse, the goddess, Pax.

When Jesus says render to the god Caesar (Matthew 22:21), he is guilty of breaking the "Have no other gods before me," and the "graven image" commandments, and worse inducing all of Judaism to do the same.

Do you wonder why they had him crucified?
Jesus incited the entire world to violate the commandments, God ignored them himself, sleeping with Joseph's betrothed, if you accept that story.
Between the two of them that is 40% of the Commandments.
If you consider their "do as I say, not as I do" stance a lie, there goes "false witness."

So they did not keep the commandments, how can you believe they will honor any other bit of the bargain?

Prince
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Prince »

[Replying to post 9 by Willum]

Jesus, and God, say many things, but indeed do not practice what they preach.
Who has killed, directly or by proxy,more men than God?
Thing is, the commandments are for man to keep not God. What many believe are the commandments and keeping them is not what they think.

God has stated through the prophets that His ways are not like man's.

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and it will be given to you."

" Seek and you shall find ,ask and you shall receive knock and the door will open. "