Charity and Sops to Conscience.

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Charity and Sops to Conscience.

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

So, if I have a legal, property claim on $1000, that you have a moral claim to, and out of that $1000, I give you $1, is that really charity?

The reason I ask is that for the first time in history, humanity has the resources to eradicate absolute* poverty. No one need die of starvation, or hunger related preventable disease. We have enough wealth in the world to offer everyone a decent, dignified living. Yet 9 million people a year do so die, many of them women and children. That's worse than the Nazi Holocaust**, by quite some distance. And many more are hungry and malnourished and vulnerable to unnecessary sickness.

Does their moral claim, their human right to life, precede my legal, property claim, or is it just their hard cheese that I am financially comfortable, and they are in dire want of their basic needs?

Best wishes, 2RM

*absolute poverty = poverty so severe I cannot sustain my life and that of my family.

** in 5 years, with deliberate intent and industrial methods, Hitler managed to kill 6 million Jews, and some million or so others including gypsies, homosexuals, communists, and various undesirables, including many disabled people. We are doing more than that, each year, by simple neglect.

JP Cusick
Guru

Re: Charity and Sops to Conscience.

Post #2

Post by JP Cusick »

2ndRateMind wrote: Does their moral claim, their human right to life, precede my legal, property claim, or is it just their hard cheese that I am financially comfortable, and they are in dire want of their basic needs?
This can only be decided or determined by force.

It could be by non violent force - or by violent brute force - and we shall yet see which way the wind blows.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

paarsurrey1
Sage

Re: Charity and Sops to Conscience.

Post #3

Post by paarsurrey1 »

2ndRateMind wrote: So, if I have a legal, property claim on $1000, that you have a moral claim to, and out of that $1000, I give you $1, is that really charity?

The reason I ask is that for the first time in history, humanity has the resources to eradicate absolute* poverty. No one need die of starvation, or hunger related preventable disease. We have enough wealth in the world to offer everyone a decent, dignified living. Yet 9 million people a year do so die, many of them women and children. That's worse than the Nazi Holocaust**, by quite some distance. And many more are hungry and malnourished and vulnerable to unnecessary sickness.

Does their moral claim, their human right to life, precede my legal, property claim, or is it just their hard cheese that I am financially comfortable, and they are in dire want of their basic needs?

Best wishes, 2RM

*absolute poverty = poverty so severe I cannot sustain my life and that of my family.

** in 5 years, with deliberate intent and industrial methods, Hitler managed to kill 6 million Jews, and some million or so others including gypsies, homosexuals, communists, and various undesirables, including many disabled people. We are doing more than that, each year, by simple neglect.
We have enough wealth in the world to offer everyone a decent, dignified living. Yet 9 million people a year do so die, many of them women and children
Shame on the so called civilized world! Do they deserve to be called civilized in this state of affairs?

Regards