Is Jesus in the Law and the Prophets?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Is Jesus in the Law and the Prophets?

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

A few say he isn't there, but most say he is, including Jesus himself after his resurrection...
Luke 24:

25 He said to them, “How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken!
26 Did not the Messiah have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?�

27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.
So, which scriptures do you think he included, and why those ones?

I wonder [do you?] how he explained them.

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Is Jesus in the Law and the Prophets?

Post #11

Post by Elijah John »

Checkpoint wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: A few say he isn't there, but most say he is, including Jesus himself after his resurrection...
Luke 24:

25 He said to them, “How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken!

27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

If Jesus IS the Law and the Prophets as the title of the OP implies, and Jesus said the Golden Rule is the Law and the Prophets, does that mean then that Jesus is the Golden Rule?
The title of the OP implies no such thing.
You're right, sorry. I missed the word "in". As the youngsters say, "my bad". ;)
The point is, EJ, you seem to be someone who says Jesus is not in the Law and the Prophets.

Or have I misunderstood your position on that?
You are correct. My position is that I don't see Jesus either in the Law and the Prophets, or in any other part of the Tanakh.

I do see, however, that Jesus taught and bore witness to the Law and the Prophets, and to the God who inspired them.

I do not see that any of the OT prophecies were about Jesus per se. Some of the "prophesies" that apologists point to are not even prophecies at all.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Checkpoint »

Elijah John wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: A few say he isn't there, but most say he is, including Jesus himself after his resurrection...
Luke 24:

If Jesus IS the Law and the Prophets as the title of the OP implies, and Jesus said the Golden Rule is the Law and the Prophets, does that mean then that Jesus is the Golden Rule?
The title of the OP implies no such thing.
You're right, sorry. I missed the word "in". As the youngsters say, "my bad". ;)
The point is, EJ, you seem to be someone who says Jesus is not in the Law and the Prophets.

Or have I misunderstood your position on that?
You are correct. My position is that I don't see Jesus either in the Law and the Prophets, or in any other part of the Tanakh.

I do see, however, that Jesus taught and bore witness to the Law and the Prophets, and to the God who inspired them.

I do not see that any of the OT prophecies were about Jesus per se. Some of the "prophesies" that apologists point to are not even prophecies at all.
So, it is your reading, your word, your understanding of the Tanakh, against Jesus own very clear claim recorded in Luke?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #13

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 12 by Checkpoint]

Where did Jesus in Luke (or anywhere else) say that the "Law and the Prophets" were about him?

I only recall him characterizing the Golden rule, and the two great laws of love as "the law and the prophets".

-YHVH is LORD

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Checkpoint »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 12 by Checkpoint]

Where did Jesus in Luke (or anywhere else) say that the "Law and the Prophets" were about him?

I only recall him characterizing the Golden rule, and the two great laws of love as "the law and the prophets".
He didn't say they were only about him.

What he did say I quoted in the OP, from Luke 24:25-27.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #15

Post by Elijah John »

Checkpoint wrote:

To address the OP question more directly, I don't know for sure which OT Scriptures Jesus was alluding to, do you?

Perhaps when Moses indicated that God would raise another prophet like himself. That one seems to fit anyway. Jesus having given the new laws of love, (or reiterating the old ones), and characterizing and preaching love of God and neighbor.

-YHVH is LORD

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Checkpoint »

Elijah John wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:

To address the OP question more directly, I don't know for sure which OT Scriptures Jesus was alluding to, do you?

Perhaps when Moses indicated that God would raise another prophet like himself. That one seems to fit anyway. Jesus having given the new laws of love, (or reiterating the old ones), and characterizing and preaching love of God and neighbor.
No one knows for sure, but it seems to me the references made in the Gospels, in Acts, and in the letters, would be a good place to start.

Those include the Moses prophecy.

tam
Savant

Post #17

Post by tam »

In addition to the OP quote:

"How foolish you are and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken. Did not the Christ have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?" And beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the scriptures concerning himself.

Luke also records:

"This is what I told you while I was still with you: everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the prophets and the Psalms." Then he opened their minds so they could understand the scriptures.

Then there is also John 5:39:

You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me,

Then of course He directly quotes some of the things that are about Him, such as Isaiah 61 (from Luke 4:18-21). Such as the Psalm where it is written, "The LORD said to my Lord" (Psalm 110:1), where Christ states that this is about Him (Matthew 22:44). There are other examples as well.

Peace to you!
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

EBA
Apprentice

Post #18

Post by EBA »

Hi chekpoint,
Yes, the whole Bible is about Christ so he certainly is in the Law and the prophets.