What is truth?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

What is truth?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

So Pilate said to him: “Well, then, are you a king?� Jesus answered: “You yourself are saying that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is on the side of the truth listens to my voice.� Pilate said to him: “What is truth?� - John 18:37, 38

I can imagine Pilate snickering as he says, "What is truth?" after Jesus confirms that Jesus himself was born to bear witness to the truth. That only those who are in the side of the truth will listen to his voice.

How would you answer Pilate? Do you think you could persuade Pilate as to the truth about Jesus? If so, how and if you don't think you could why not?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What is truth?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by 2timothy316]

That reminds me of a line in the movie "Something's got to give"; Jack Nicholson says to Diane Keaton "I have always told you some version of the truth" to which Keaton responds "The Truth doesn't HAVE versions!"
Religious Truth is like a treasure; but one cannot find it unless one looks for it; one cannot look for something if you don't believe that thing exists.
The concept of religious truth is non-existent for many; for it to exist not only would there have to be a God (whose absolute standards establish what "truth" is) but a God that has chosen to and is capable of accurately transmitting that truth to the generation of mankind alive at any given time in mankind's history. Since many (no doubt like Pilate) believe the above factors are absolutely impossible how could they possibly find "the truth"*?

* by "The Truth" I am refering to fundamental religious truths that apply to all humans about God, our relationship with him and how to attain to salvation.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Monta
Guru

Post #3

Post by Monta »

2timothy316 wrote: So Pilate said to him: “Well, then, are you a king?� Jesus answered: “You yourself are saying that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is on the side of the truth listens to my voice.� Pilate said to him: “What is truth?� - John 18:37, 38

I can imagine Pilate snickering as he says, "What is truth?" after Jesus confirms that Jesus himself was born to bear witness to the truth. That only those who are in the side of the truth will listen to his voice.

How would you answer Pilate? Do you think you could persuade Pilate as to the truth about Jesus? If so, how and if you don't think you could why not?
I don't think Pilate could have been persuaded unless he already believed
Jesus' words and saw him as truth-bearer.

tam
Savant

Post #4

Post by tam »

Peace to you timothy,
2timothy316 wrote: So Pilate said to him: “Well, then, are you a king?� Jesus answered: “You yourself are saying that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is on the side of the truth listens to my voice.� Pilate said to him: “What is truth?� - John 18:37, 38

Why? Why imagine him snickering? Maybe he was frustrated or exasperated, not knowing the truth (ironic, considering who he was speaking with)? Maybe he simply did not know the truth and so expressed that sentiment by asking the question? I guess I am curious as to why anyone would assign a disrespectful reaction to him or assume he did not think there was any truth to be had... over considering that he simply did not know what that truth might be?

Remember that Pilate did not want to sentence Christ to death; he even wrote "King of the Jews" on a placard on the stake that Christ was crucified on, in accordance with what Christ had said to him.

How would you answer Pilate?
If Pilate asked me, "What is the truth?" then I would tell him that Christ Jaheshua is the Truth.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life."

Christ is Himself the Truth. He speaks and teaches truth; He is God's Truth (the One who reveals God to us as God truly is). If we know Christ, then we know God.

Do you think you could persuade Pilate as to the truth about Jesus? If so, how and if you don't think you could why not?
That would not be up to me. "No one can come to Me unless the Father has granted it to them".

I can bear witness to Christ (who is Himself the True and Faithful witness of God), plant a seed. But it is not up to me whether that seed takes root or grows.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #5

Post by JP Cusick »

I agree that there was no answer to give to Pilate, just as there is no answer to people on this forum who say very similar things = that truth is a matter of opinion or that there is no truth or whatever way they word the exact same sentiment.

My view is that we (each person) must decide for our self about the truth, and we need to search out the truth and experiment to verify the truth, and then no one needs to tell any of us what is the truth - because we (each individual) must declare the truth for our self.

As such Pilate (and other people) ask such a question because they have not done their own homework and they have not found the truth for their self.

Even if Jesus said = this is truth and that is truth - then each person must still find out the truth for our self.

If we believe some one else for the truth even if that some one is Jesus Christ His self - then we are just believing the person and not the truth.

Every person is capable of finding the truth and of knowing the truth - but each person must do their own research and make their own sincere judgment.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by 2timothy316 »

JP Cusick wrote:
My view is that we (each person) must decide for our self about the truth, and we need to search out the truth and experiment to verify the truth, and then no one needs to tell any of us what is the truth - because we (each individual) must declare the truth for our self.
This question of truth I find interesting. More and more people are looking to themselves as to what is truth. That truth is relative to an individual.

For example: I was told a story just this morning about a patient in a mental hospital. At the end of their group session they were explaining to everyone not to talk about what others say in group. One man was eating a rice crispy treat with a foil wrapper. He said, "Don't worry I will not even let people read my thoughts." The took the wrapper and placed it on his head put his hat over it and said, "There, now no one can read my thoughts."

Does foil on our heads stop people from reading our mind? Is that true? When did opinions became the replacement for truth.

Is truth really controlled by opinion? Is that what we tell Pilate?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by 2timothy316 »

Monta wrote:

I don't think Pilate could have been persuaded unless he already believed
Jesus' words and saw him as truth-bearer.
So what is the answer we give Pilate? Do we tell him another Jack Nicholson movie quote, 'you can't handle the truth'?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by 2timothy316 »

tam wrote:
That would not be up to me. "No one can come to Me unless the Father has granted it to them".

I can bear witness to Christ (who is Himself the True and Faithful witness of God), plant a seed. But it is not up to me whether that seed takes root or grows.
So do we answer Pilate, with the above? Do we say, "Pilate, you have not been granted to know truth. I can't help you."?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by 2timothy316 »

A quick sum up of what people have been saying. Which thanks everyone, I am finding some gems here. I think it would be good to all these answers next to each other. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm going to make the answers brief.

Possible answers to Pilate.

1. "Pilate, there is only one truth and it only be found if you have some amount of evidence (no matter how little) it exists and you're looking for it."

2. "Pilate, I can't answer you because you don't believe in Jesus."

3. "Pilate, I can't answer you because you are not granted to know the truth."

4. "Pilate, you must declare for yourself what is truth based on your own judgments."

Perhaps, there is a combination answer in here? What is the truth about truth? :?:

tam
Savant

Post #10

Post by tam »

2timothy316 wrote:
tam wrote:

So do we answer Pilate, with the above? Do we say, "Pilate, you have not been granted to know truth. I can't help you."?

I'm sorry but why would you even suggest the above, as if it has anything to do with what I wrote?

I wrote quite clearly how I would respond to Pilate. I will repeat what you ignored:

If Pilate asked me, "What is the truth?" then I would tell him that Christ Jaheshua is the Truth.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life."

Christ is Himself the Truth. He speaks and teaches truth; He is God's Truth (the One who reveals God to us as God truly is). If we know Christ, then we know God.

I then responded to the question that you asked as to whether I think I could persuade (convince) Pilate as to the truth; and I responded in accordance with the Truth (Christ) and His words.

No one can come to me unless the Father has granted it to them.

Paul stated the same as I shared above, did he not? That he could plant a seed, someone else could water it, but it is God who makes that seed grow?

Are you suggesting that some can come to Christ without the Father granting it to them?

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy