Savant

Which is it?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Matthew 15.24
He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."
or

Matthew 28.19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
What was Jesus mission, his intended audience?

How does one reconcile the two seemingly contradictory statements?

Is the "Risen Christ" on the same page as the pre-Easter, "historical Jesus"?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

tam
Savant

Re: Which is it?

Post #31

Post by tam »

Elijah John wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Jesus said "*I* was sent" only to the Israelites

Just before leaving the earth, Jesus told HIS DISCIPLES...

"(you)
Go teach what I taught to all the other nations"

Where exactly is the contradiction?
Putting aside who was the agent of the message at which time, the contradiction is the apparent target of the Father's message. Was it the Israelites? Or the Gentiles?

Unless, of course, you are suggesting that Paul and company had a different message that that of Jesus.

There is no contradiction, EJ (peace to you). There is an order to what He did and to whom He called and invited.

The promise and invitation (to be a kingdom and priests) had to first go to Israel (the Jews, and also the Samaritans), based upon the covenant... and then, after Israel (as a nation) rejected Him, that promise and invitation opened up to everyone else as well.

Others on the thread have pointed out those verses that show everyone would be invited. Such as the woman granted her request based upon her faith; and the verse from John 3:16, and there is also the parable about the banquet, where those who were invited did not come and so the master ordered his servant to invite many other people. (from Luke 14)

He then taught this explicitly to His apostles after His resurrection (I have much more to teach you, more than you can yet bear... John 16:12), in the vision given to Peter and also to Paul.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Petrameansrock
Student

Post #32

Post by Petrameansrock »

[Replying to post 10 by marco]

Before being translated into the Spiritual realm of Heaven Jesus ascended, just like Elijah and Enoch. Not that hard to understand.
Acts 2:38 - Repent, and be Baptized in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the forgiveness of your sins, and you WILL RECEIVE the gift of the Holy Spirit.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #33

Post by JP Cusick »

Elijah John wrote: I should have been more specific. Please demonstrate that the Jewish people as a whole or in general were "spiritually lost". I could be wrong, but I think that is what JP was asserting.
I do not say that the Jewish people were (or are) worse than anyone else, especially considering how brutally horrible was the Roman empire, and all people fall short as there has never been a righteous group of people in any form.

The Jewish people or more specific the Jewish religion is spiritually lost by failing to accept Jesus as the Christ and then putting that into action, but that same failing is to be found in every other people too, including Christianity.

My view is that the entire human race is lost - except for the reality that the Father God has everything fully under His righteous control.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #34

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Petrameansrock wrote: [Replying to post 10 by marco]

Before being translated into the Spiritual realm of Heaven Jesus ascended, just like Elijah and Enoch. Not that hard to understand.
Elijah and Enoch also went to heaven after having died a literal/physical death. Heaven is a spiritual abode in which none could go without having died a literal/physical death before, absolutely no exception. Right, please?
Jesus going to heaven only means that Jesus died?
Regards

Elijah John
Savant

Post #35

Post by Elijah John »

JP Cusick wrote: The Jewish people or more specific the Jewish religion is spiritually lost by failing to accept Jesus as the Christ
Please demonstrate the veracity of this statement. If what you say here is true, why didn't God explain this to His People in the Hebrew Bible?

Seems plenty of people in the "Old" Testament were not "spiritually lost" but in fact were walking with God and His ways. You know, folks like Noah, King David, Ruth, Enoch, Melchizedek, Esther, Jonah, Job, Abraham, Solomon, Joshua, Moses, Elijah, ..you know, the heroes of the faith. ;)

None of them had accepted "Jesus as the Christ". None of them accepted Jesus as their "personal Lord and Savior". In fact, it was not taught that the expected Messiah was to have any role at all in their spiritual salvation, at all. Only political, and not personal, but for the Nation as a whole. Please demonstrate that any of these heroes listed understood the necessity of "believing in the blood" of the Messiah in order to be "saved" ie not spiritually lost.

Even Jesus later on said things like. "If you would see life, keep the commandments" and that people needed to listen to Moses and the Prophets in order to avoid the fate of the rich man in hell. (not someone risen from the dead).

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #36

Post by Elijah John »

JP Cusick wrote: The Jewish people or more specific the Jewish religion is spiritually lost by failing to accept Jesus as the Christ
Please demonstrate the veracity of your statement. If what you say here is true, why didn't God explain this to His People in the Hebrew Bible? Why didn't God give His People a "heads up" that it would be necessary for them to believe that the Messiah would die to "pay for" their sins, when he arrived, so they would not be "spiritually lost"?

Seems plenty of people in the "Old" Testament were not "spiritually lost" but in fact were walking with God and His ways. You know, folks like Noah, King David, Ruth, Enoch, Melchizedek, Esther, Jonah, Job, Abraham, Solomon, Joshua, Moses, Elijah, ..you know, the heroes of the faith. ;)

None of them had accepted "Jesus as the Christ". None of them accepted Jesus as their "personal Lord and Savior". In fact, it was not taught that the expected Messiah was to have any role at all in their spiritual salvation. Only political, and not personal, but for the Nation as a whole. Please demonstrate that any of these heroes listed understood the necessity of "believing in the blood" of the Messiah in order to be "saved" ie not spiritually lost.

Even Jesus later on said things like. "If you would see life, keep the commandments" and that people needed to listen to Moses and the Prophets in order to avoid the fate of the rich man in hell. (not listening to someone risen from the dead).
Last edited by Elijah John on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

-YHVH is LORD

Willum
Savant

Post #37

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 33 by JP Cusick]
I do not say that the Jewish people were (or are) worse than anyone else, especially considering how brutally horrible was the Roman empire, and all people fall short as there has never been a righteous group of people in any form.
Point of order - there have been many righteous people - it is just that the Judeo-Christian peoples seem to make it their business to enact genocide on them. Native Americans, Trans-Alpine Gaul, etc..

Petrameansrock
Student

Post #38

Post by Petrameansrock »

[Replying to post 34 by paarsurrey1]

Enoch and Elijah did not die, they have physical bodies in the Spiritual Realm just like Jesus.
Acts 2:38 - Repent, and be Baptized in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the forgiveness of your sins, and you WILL RECEIVE the gift of the Holy Spirit.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #39

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Petrameansrock wrote: [Replying to post 34 by paarsurrey1]

Enoch and Elijah did not die, they have physical bodies in the Spiritual Realm just like Jesus.
A spiritual realm is not a container of physical bodies, and God is only attributive neither a physical nor a spiritual object.

Regards

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #40

Post by JP Cusick »

Elijah John wrote:
Please demonstrate the veracity of your statement. If what you say here is true, why didn't God explain this to His People in the Hebrew Bible? Why didn't God give His People a "heads up" that it would be necessary for them to believe that the Messiah would die to "pay for" their sins, when he arrived, so they would not be "spiritually lost"?

None of them had accepted "Jesus as the Christ". None of them accepted Jesus as their "personal Lord and Savior". In fact, it was not taught that the expected Messiah was to have any role at all in their spiritual salvation. Only political, and not personal, but for the Nation as a whole. Please demonstrate that any of these heroes listed understood the necessity of "believing in the blood" of the Messiah in order to be "saved" ie not spiritually lost.

Even Jesus later on said things like. "If you would see life, keep the commandments" and that people needed to listen to Moses and the Prophets in order to avoid the fate of the rich man in hell. (not listening to someone risen from the dead).
I do not believe that there is any debate or dispute that the old testament fell short - because if it had not fallen short then there would not be any lost sheep of Israel.

My point was in reference to after Christ in the new testament that all people still fall short and miss the mark (sin) after the new testament had begun.

Also in the old testament they had a foreknowledge of Christ the Messiah or Savior, then in the New Testament is it an after-knowledge.

------------------------------------------------------

Willum wrote: Point of order - there have been many righteous people - it is just that the Judeo-Christian peoples seem to make it their business to enact genocide on them. Native Americans, Trans-Alpine Gaul, etc..
You clearly have a misguided notion of what makes a person or a people as right or as righteous.

Every group of people including Gaul and Native Americans were idolaters, and they had human sacrifices, they ate animals, they lived in constant wars or hostilities, and among the list of their wrongs - there is nothing (nothing) recorded that any of them did that was righteous.

According to the Bible every sinful people were killed off as a mercy-killing to stop their horrible living from continuing, see Deuteronomy 9:5

God punished or destroyed the nations not because Israel was righteous but because the other nations were wicked.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian: