Matthew 28:19

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Petrameansrock
Student

Matthew 28:19

Post #1

Post by Petrameansrock »

So this scripture is the reason almost every major denomination baptizes in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. This is also a major argument for the Trinity. But as we have seen in the past with 1 John, there are instances where scripture has been touched by man to promote Trinitarian doctrine. My question is do you think this scripture is valid or invalid? I know we have a lot of people who aren't Trinitarians on here, so that's why I ask.
Acts 2:38 - Repent, and be Baptized in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the forgiveness of your sins, and you WILL RECEIVE the gift of the Holy Spirit.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Matthew 28:19

Post #101

Post by JehovahsWitness »

myth-one.com wrote:the gospel message of salvation specifically, is what is sealed from our understanding.

...the "good news" which believers are commanded to spread throughout the world. It's the good news of salvation from the second death.
Okay but since you have no idea what the gospel of salvation is (because its sealed from your understanding) how do you KNOW it doesn't include the good news of salvation from the second death?
Isn't that a bit like saying, I have no idea what's in that bag but I can tell you for sure, there aren't any shoes in there!

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #102

Post by myth-one.com »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:the gospel message of salvation specifically, is what is sealed from our understanding.

...the "good news" which believers are commanded to spread throughout the world. It's the good news of salvation from the second death.
Okay but since you have no idea what the gospel of salvation is (because its sealed from your understanding) how do you KNOW it doesn't include the good news of salvation from the second death?
Isn't that a bit like saying, I have no idea what's in that bag but I can tell you for sure, there aren't any shoes in there!
JW
Although the scriptures are sealed from our understanding, God left a hole in His security system! Consider what Jesus states regarding prayer:
And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive. (Matthew 21:22)

Therefore, each time before one begins reading the Bible, one should first pray asking God to open their understanding of the scriptures, believing He will do so!

polonius
Prodigy

Post #103

Post by polonius »

And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive. (Matthew 21:22)
RESPONSE: Does this work with winning lottery tickets?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #104

Post by myth-one.com »

polonius.advice wrote:
RESPONSE: Does this work with winning lottery tickets?
Yes, whatsoever does include winning lottery tickets.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #105

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 101 by myth-one.com]

So you're saying the scriptured are sealed from our understanding unless we ask for understanding?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

showme
Sage

Post #106

Post by showme »

[Replying to post 2 by Petrameansrock]

Your signature line is:
Acts 2:38 - Repent, and be Baptized in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the forgiveness of your sins, and you WILL RECEIVE the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Your signature line is:

What makes you think that Acts 2:38 is simply not the tradition of men, based on the writings of some unknown author of Acts?

I don't really think that is how John the Baptist baptized with water. (Mt 3)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #107

Post by onewithhim »

Petrameansrock wrote: So this scripture is the reason almost every major denomination baptizes in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. This is also a major argument for the Trinity. But as we have seen in the past with 1 John, there are instances where scripture has been touched by man to promote Trinitarian doctrine. My question is do you think this scripture is valid or invalid? I know we have a lot of people who aren't Trinitarians on here, so that's why I ask.
I appreciate the fact that you realize that the passage in I John is spurious. Matthew 28:19 is valid, but not enough to get everyones' knickers in a twist. It simply mentions three things: The Holy Spirit (which is not a person), then the Father and the Son (not, of course, in that order). The verse does not even hint that those three are equal, so no Trinity is proven there. It's as good as saying "Tom, Dick, and Harry." OK, so what? we might say. We haven't said anything about Tom, Dick or Harry. To mention three persons or things in the same breath doesn't show anything about their relationship.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #108

Post by onewithhim »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Petrameansrock]

The scripture is part of God's inspired word and is of course "valid". If you mean can it reasonably be used to support the trinity teaching I would say no, unless otherwise stipulated, the mere mention of three individuals in the same sentence doesn't imply a trinity any more than it would if were to invite you to a party in the name of John, Paul and George (we'll drop Ringo, he was a terrible drummer).
LOL! I thought Ringo was a good drummer! :) I agree with your post, and I wrote basically the same thing.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #109

Post by dio9 »

Ya know Jesus was baptized byJohn in no ones specific name. John's baptism was for repentance and remission of sin. Jesus of course had no sin to be remissed . And Jesus began his mission ( and his disciples) baptizing following John's for the remission of sin. However , according to scripture , John testified Jesus would baptize in the spirit.
Mark 1:8
I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.�
Matthew 3:11
“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
The gospels say Jesus will baptize with the holy spirit.

Matthew 3:11
“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

And here baptism is used like an anointing Jesus asking can you be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?

Mark 10:38 New International Version (NIV)
38 “You don’t know what you are asking,� Jesus said. “Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?�

Jesus' baptism was one of death and resurrection.

Pipiripi
Banned
Banned

Post #110

Post by Pipiripi »

It is very easy for knowing the truth. When three or more scripture proof Matthew 28:19. We can say it is truth. But never you find more scripture who has the writing about baptism in the name of the Holy Spirit. I think what must be written there is. Baptized them in the name of the Father and the Son, WITH the Holy Spirit. If it is written in the first BIBLE before the Roman Church destroyed all the others scriptures.