Why do we no longer keep the Sabbath?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

brianbbs67
Guru

Why do we no longer keep the Sabbath?

Post #1

Post by brianbbs67 »

Show me how God's day of rest was changed by Him. I have studied Theology and read Tanakh, KJ, Strong's, Thomson, NKJ and many others. God says he does not change, why would his day? All of my study, shows that there are lots of beliefs, some right to me , others not. But, since Peter's church worshipped on the Sabbath, why are we not?

Constantine decreed Sunday. Roman church(325) approved and adopted "christmas" and other pagan traditions.

If we follow as Christ instructed, known of this would hold water. I am sure this has been covered before, but I am truly curious.

brianbbs67
Guru

Re: Why do we no longer keep the Sabbath?

Post #91

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 90 by myth-one.com]

Polycarp and Ireneous seem to agree. Here I paraphrase(can't locate the quote, now). Ireneous to Pope Victor, (concerning the church calendar and Easter), "Your excellency knows that Polycarp was quite Orthodox in his beliefs. But was quite amicable in non theological discussions---such as the date when to celebrate Easter."

bluethread
Savant

Post #92

Post by bluethread »

brianbbs67 wrote: Acts 20:7, actually says the disciples gathered, as was their custom. This , of course was after the Sabbath ended at sunset Saturday .
I may have pointed this out earlier in the thread, but it has been revived, it bears repeating. What you are talking about is Havdalah, the formal recognition of the end of Shabbat. Since no ordinary work is to be done on Shabbat, collecting money on Shabbat is traditionally forbidden. Therefore, while they were still gathered, after the traditional gathering for Havdalah, at sunset, any business that needed to be conducted was taken care of. The first day of the week was not a day of worship or rest, but a day for doing business.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #93

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 92 by bluethread]

Thanks for your replies. I got curious and researched a little, Tzitzit. Tehelet dye. Blue i assume? Cobalt blue would come to mind.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #94

Post by brianbbs67 »

There have been great replies on this thread. None persuade me to change God's day. He could persuade me. But, His silence and biblical evidence keep me to a Friday sunset to Saturday sunset schedule.

Did not the Christ say "remember the Sabbath and keep it holy?" and "the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." ? IE, we need to rest at least one day a week and God wants it to be Friday sunset to Saturday sunset, unless an emergency arises. Why not just do that thing?

Its a pretty simple rule. God says honor my decision. If we are trying to honor Him, why would we change what He wants for us? I personally like relaxing and having some down time as life is busy enough. Why not do it on the day God commanded?

rstrats
Scholar

Post #95

Post by rstrats »

brianbbs67,
re: "Why not do it on the day God commanded?

Maybe because it seems that a majority of professing Christians have an almost pathological disdain if not actual hatred for the supreme being's Sabbaths.

bluethread
Savant

Post #96

Post by bluethread »

brianbbs67 wrote: [Replying to post 92 by bluethread]

Thanks for your replies. I got curious and researched a little, Tzitzit. Tehelet dye. Blue i assume? Cobalt blue would come to mind.
It is a particular blue dye that originally came from a shellfish. That is not actually in the Scriptures, but is rabbinic. The commandment to include the blue thread is, but the specific shade or source of the blue dye is not.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #97

Post by rstrats »

I think it unlikely that the dye would have come from an unclean animal.

bluethread
Savant

Post #98

Post by bluethread »

brianbbs67 wrote:
Its a pretty simple rule. God says honor my decision. If we are trying to honor Him, why would we change what He wants for us? I personally like relaxing and having some down time as life is busy enough. Why not do it on the day God commanded?
It isn't about relaxation and personal enjoyment, though it may be relaxing and enjoyable. (Is. 58:13) "“If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath and from doing as you please on my holy day, if you call the Sabbath a delight and the LORD’s holy day honorable, and if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words, 14 then you will find your joy in the LORD, and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.� The mouth of the LORD has spoken. "

bluethread
Savant

Post #99

Post by bluethread »

rstrats wrote: I think it unlikely that the dye would have come from an unclean animal.
Shellfish are unclean to eat. They are not unclean to use for another purpose. There is nothing wrong with using a razor clam as a knife, as long as it is not used on food.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #100

Post by rstrats »

bluethread,
re: "Shellfish are unclean to eat. They are not unclean to use for another purpose."

Maybe, maybe not. Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 6:17: "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing and I will receive you..."