Is Koran a Book of Peace, Not War?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Is Koran a Book of Peace, Not War?

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Is Koran a Book of Peace, Not War?

"In order for them* to generate support beyond their small group, they have to latch onto universal symbols, and this is where Islam becomes a target of convenience for them," says Nyang

People combine pieces of verse from the Koran and use it to justify their actions, says Khouj. "But to understand the full meaning of the verse," he says, "you have to read the one before it, the one after it, maybe five to six verses to get the full picture."

The "full picture" of Islam and the Koran, say Khouj and Nyang, is captured by Chapter 5, Verse 32: "f anyone slew a person—unless it be for murder or spreading mischief in the land—it would be as if he slew the whole people. And if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people."
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ran_2.html
* The terrorists

One may like to read the full article titled "Koran a Book of Peace, Not War, Scholars Say" by Peter Standring, National Geographic Today, September 25, 2001

Regards

brianbbs67
Guru
Posts: 1863
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Is Koran a Book of Peace, Not War?

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

The Quantrane, that got me was, and I paraphrase a little. "Do not try to deceive Allah, for Allah is the master of all deceits" That and that Muhammad is chase out of Mecca, the first time he tries to start his religion, as made up.

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Is Koran a Book of Peace, Not War?

Post by paarsurrey1 »

brianbbs67 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

The Quantrane, that got me was, and I paraphrase a little. "Do not try to deceive Allah, for Allah is the master of all deceits" That and that Muhammad is chase out of Mecca, the first time he tries to start his religion, as made up.
Quantrane
I could not get its meaning. Please give its meaning.
Regards

User avatar
Petrameansrock
Student
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:43 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Is Koran a Book of Peace, Not War?

Post by Petrameansrock »

[Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

I think it depends on who you ask lol. It's not one or the other. Just like the Bible. The danger is that there are some radical Islamic terrorists who do think it is a book of war. This can't be said about the Bible (well at least not in this century).
Acts 2:38 - Repent, and be Baptized in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the forgiveness of your sins, and you WILL RECEIVE the gift of the Holy Spirit.

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Is Koran a Book of Peace, Not War?

Post by paarsurrey1 »

brianbbs67 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

The Quantrane, that got me was, and I paraphrase a little. "Do not try to deceive Allah, for Allah is the master of all deceits" That and that Muhammad is chase out of Mecca, the first time he tries to start his religion, as made up.
"Do not try to deceive Allah, for Allah is the master of all deceits"
It is a (wrong) transliteration, the correct and proverbial translation is:
[3:55] And they planned, and Allah also planned; and Allah is the Best of planners.
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... 3&verse=55
For detail, please, read:
https://www.alislam.org/quran/tafseer/? ... 2&CR=EN,E2

One may like to read Quran from cover to cover, then such issues don't arise. No compulsion however, please.

Regards

User avatar
Royston
Student
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:05 pm

Re: Is Koran a Book of Peace, Not War?

Post by Royston »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
Is Koran a Book of Peace, Not War?

"In order for them* to generate support beyond their small group, they have to latch onto universal symbols, and this is where Islam becomes a target of convenience for them," says Nyang

People combine pieces of verse from the Koran and use it to justify their actions, says Khouj. "But to understand the full meaning of the verse," he says, "you have to read the one before it, the one after it, maybe five to six verses to get the full picture."

The "full picture" of Islam and the Koran, say Khouj and Nyang, is captured by Chapter 5, Verse 32: "f anyone slew a person—unless it be for murder or spreading mischief in the land—it would be as if he slew the whole people. And if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people."
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ran_2.html
* The terrorists

One may like to read the full article titled "]Koran a Book of Peace, Not War, Scholars Say" by Peter Standring, National Geographic Today, September 25, 2001

Regards

It seems to me that the Koran is whatever a particular reader or group of readers decides it is. Sure, it is seen as a book of peace by many Muslims, but then a good many Muslim radicals and Muslim terrorists read it with appreciably different eyes. And I blame God for all strife that exists between the different Muslim flavours because the koran is apparently something on which he hangs his figurative hat. For me, it's just not good enough that he furnished cave-cloistered Muhammad with ambiguous instructions. Was it beyond The Supremo's ability to muster words that would be universally accepted or which would at least mean the same thing to all Muslims? - well, evidently it was - as a Scottish person might say - 'beyond his ken.'

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Is Koran a Book of Peace, Not War?

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Petrameansrock wrote: [Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

I think it depends on who you ask lol. It's not one or the other. Just like the Bible. The danger is that there are some radical Islamic terrorists who do think it is a book of war. This can't be said about the Bible (well at least not in this century).
This can't be said about the Bible
Even-though it is written in the Bible that Moses killed 3000 Jews:
Exodus 32:28
New International Version

The Levites did as Moses commanded, and that day about three thousand of the people died.
http://biblehub.com/exodus/32-28.htm
Regards

Bust Nak
Savant
Posts: 8630
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:03 am
Location: Planet Earth

Re: Is Koran a Book of Peace, Not War?

Post by Bust Nak »

paarsurrey1 wrote: The "full picture" of Islam and the Koran, say Khouj and Nyang, is captured by Chapter 5, Verse 32: "f anyone slew a person—unless it be for murder or spreading mischief in the land—it would be as if he slew the whole people. And if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people."

The problem here is that "spreading mischief in the land" is not specific. Insulting Islam for example, qualifies as spreading mischief and is justification for slewing someone.

paarsurrey1
Sage
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Is Koran a Book of Peace, Not War?

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Bust Nak wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: The "full picture" of Islam and the Koran, say Khouj and Nyang, is captured by Chapter 5, Verse 32: "f anyone slew a person—unless it be for murder or spreading mischief in the land—it would be as if he slew the whole people. And if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people."

The problem here is that "spreading mischief in the land" is not specific. Insulting Islam for example, qualifies as spreading mischief and is justification for slewing someone.

Insulting Islam for example, qualifies as spreading mischief


No, that is not a case for slewing someone. It is not punishable in this world but in the hereafter.Right, please?
If one disagrees with me then please quote the specific verse of Quran in this connection.Right, please?

Regards

Bust Nak
Savant
Posts: 8630
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:03 am
Location: Planet Earth

Re: Is Koran a Book of Peace, Not War?

Post by Bust Nak »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
Insulting Islam for example, qualifies as spreading mischief.
No, that is not a case for slewing someone. It is not punishable in this world but in the hereafter.Right, please?
If one disagrees with me then please quote the specific verse of Quran in this connection.Right, please?
Tell that to those wanting to kill cartoonists for making fun of the prophet Muhammad. Your argument is with them. Quote the specific verse of Quran where it says insulting the Quran is not qualifies as spreading mischief.

If the Quran doesn't say what counts and does not count as spreading mischief, then it's your interpretation against theirs.

Post Reply