Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

"Saving faith" in Jesus

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

What is "saving faith" in Jesus?

Does it include, (or does it necessitate) literally believing things such as him walking on water?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

The Tanager
Savant

Re: "Saving faith" in Jesus

Post #2

Post by The Tanager »

Elijah John wrote: What is "saving faith" in Jesus?

Does it include, (or does it necessitate) literally believing things such as him walking on water?
I would say saving faith is something like trusting in God to make us new and that this was done through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. I do not think this requires a true belief on things like whether Jesus literally walked on water or not.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

The Tanager wrote:
Elijah John wrote: What is "saving faith" in Jesus?

I would say saving faith is something like trusting in God to make us new and that this was done through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. I do not think this requires a true belief on things like whether Jesus literally walked on water or not.
"Life" would include his teachings. Can you direct me to a place where Jesus taught that faith in his impending death and resurrection was a requirement for salvation?

-YHVH is LORD

The Tanager
Savant

Post #4

Post by The Tanager »

Elijah John wrote:"Life" would include his teachings. Can you direct me to a place where Jesus taught that faith in his impending death and resurrection was a requirement for salvation?
One thing that comes to mind is when Jesus is asking His disciples who people say that He is (Matt 16:31-23/Mark 8:27-33). Peter declares Jesus is the Messiah. Jesus follows this up by talking about His impending death and resurrection. Peter doesn't like that scenario and Jesus rebukes Peter for thinking humanly rather than divinely.

Then after the third time Jesus foretells His death and resurrection (Matt 20:17-19/Mark 10:32-34) James and John start asking to sit at Jesus' sides in His glory. The other disciples are mad at them. Jesus' response points to what He is going to do on the cross as an example to them "just as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many (Matt 20:28/Mark 10:45)."

Then there is the last supper before His death where Jesus says his blood is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins (Matthew 26:28).

And after Jesus' resurrection where He tells His disciples to proclaim that repentance and forgiveness of sins is to be proclaimed in his name to all nations (Luke 24:47).

Monta
Guru

Post #5

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 2 by The Tanager]

"I do not think this requires a true belief on things like whether Jesus literally walked on water or not."

I think Elijah John was joking*)

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 2 by The Tanager]

"I do not think this requires a true belief on things like whether Jesus literally walked on water or not."

I think Elijah John was joking*)
Actually not Monta, I was being serious. The question was another way of asking just exactly what does it mean to "believe in Jesus". Does it mean taking literally everything the New Testament says about him, including believing that he walked on water?

Does God want us to completely dispense with reason before he'll save us, believing that these things happened "once upon a time"?

-YHVH is LORD

Monta
Guru

Post #7

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 6 by Elijah John]

"Does God want us to completely dispense with reason before he'll save us, believing that these things happened "once upon a time"?"

We can not embrace anything unless we are convinced it is true.
Christians accept biblical record of Jesus Christ and the things
they do not embrace is because they do not fully understand it.

Doing good is the motto Jesus emphasized.

I have never questioned myself whether Jesus walked on the water but thinking
about it, why not. He mastered the laws of nature which we all could do if we dedicated ourselves to inner growth 'man know thyself'.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by 2timothy316 »

Monta wrote:
I have never questioned myself whether Jesus walked on the water but thinking
about it, why not. He mastered the laws of nature which we all could do if we dedicated ourselves to inner growth 'man know thyself'.
Peter walked on water because of his faith in Jesus. But when did Peter begin to sink? "But looking at the windstorm, he became afraid. And when he started to sink..." (Matt 14:30). Here's a man that was looking right a man that was walking on water. I'd call that a good reason to be convinced as something is true. However, even a man that is looking right at something convincing can look away. We all do it at some point. Lack of faith is a 'sin that so easily entangles one.' (Heb 12:1, 2)

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

2timothy316 wrote:

Peter walked on water because of his faith in Jesus.
Matthew 17: 20 : "

"And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."

We have no physical demonstration of the literal truth of this suggestion so perhaps it is best to take its meaning to be that faith should reach those proportions, rather than we should expect these results. Similarly the story of Jesus wandering on the waves, met by Peter, is surely an illustration of one man's power and another man's weakness. It didn't happen literally of course.

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Peds nurse »

Hello my most wonderful debating friends! Hope this finds you all well!

Saving faith, means exactly that, a faith that saves us, sustains us, and gives us hope. Jesus did some pretty incredible things in the Bible, things that normally just don't happen. Jesus, more importantly, claimed to be the Son of the Living God. It stands to reason to me, that if Jesus was who He claimed He was, then walking on water, bringing the dead to life, and making the blind see, don't seem too far fetched. The miracles are far from the point of the saving grace of Jesus. The miracles were a representation of God's power, God's love, and His compassion for His people. The miracles were not meant to save us, just to open our eyes to the one who can.