When science does not work

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Rufus21
Scholar

When science does not work

Post #1

Post by Rufus21 »

paarsurrey1 wrote: I follow science where one should follow science and I follow religion/revelation where science does not work.
Can someone give an example of a situation where science doesn't work?

I've heard people say that science cannot handle situations outside the natural world, but there is no indication that religion can either. In fact, neither can offer any evidence that a supernatural realm exists in the first place. So what are some situations where science does not work but religion does?

Danmark
Site Supporter

Re: When science does not work

Post #61

Post by Danmark »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Rufus21]

In my experience science "doesn't work," all the time.
Chemical equations may fail when impurities are present.
Physics may fail to take into account dynamic or friction from lubrication.
These are not examples of 'science failing.' They are examples of sloppiness or poorly prepared experiments. Let me be bold. Science does not fail. When results differ from what science expects, either the experiment failed to account for variables, was sloppily performed, or we learn something new and theory changes.

This is very different from religious 'truth,' where nothing changes no matter how powerful the evidence.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #62

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Danmark wrote:

These are not examples of 'science failing.' They are examples of sloppiness or poorly prepared experiments. Let me be bold. Science does not fail. When results differ from what science expects, either the experiment failed to account for variables, was sloppily performed, or we learn something new and theory changes.

This is very different from religious 'truth,' where nothing changes no matter how powerful the evidence.
Ultimate corrective to science, whatever the experimental faults, is with its master nature, which works as designed by our One-True-God on principles that won't change except when He wills. Right, please?
Regards

marco
Savant

Post #63

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote:

Ultimate corrective to science, whatever the experimental faults, is with its master nature, which works as designed by our One-True-God on principles that won't change except when He wills. Right, please?
Regards

Have you witnessed the "One-True-Go" in action, applying the ultimate corrective to science? People fail or succeed; God has nothing to do with it. Had scientists sat back and let God perform then we would still be hunting with spears. God may be spectacular in his destructive powers: hurricanes and tsunamis and the obliteration of Sodom and Gomorrah - if one wishes to grant God these wonders - but we are short on evidence of anything good he has done for man that man has not done for himself.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #64

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Danmark wrote:

The Truthful-Religion allows different approaches to the different situations, very dynamic:

[3:58] ‘And as for those who believe and do good* works, He will pay them their full rewards. And Allah loves not the wrongdoers.’
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... 3&verse=57
*appropriate deeds according to the situation

Regards

marco
Savant

Post #65

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
And Allah loves not the wrongdoers.’
Well since no one is sinless that means Allah dislikes ALL humanity. What a foolish thing to say about a supposedly loving, merciful divinity.

If Allah isn't happy with imperfect humans, perhaps he used the wrong model in his primal act of creation. So maybe Allah loves not himself. A problem!

Science makes no such absurd assertions.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #66

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Well since no one is sinless that means Allah dislikes ALL humanity.
It is just a wrong notion that no-one is sinless. every child born is sinless and is as such unless attains maturity to know right from wrong. If one commits a sin by mistake and then:

~repents on one's mistake or wrongdoing
~resolves not to do it again and refrains from it
~asks forgiveness from One-True-God/YHVH/Allah sincerely

Allah may forgive such person on His own discretion:

[39:54] Say, “O My servants who have committed excesses against their own souls! despair not of the mercy of Allah, surely Allah forgives all sins. Verily He is Most Forgiving, Merciful.
[39:55] “And turn ye to your Lord, and submit yourselves to Him, before there comes unto you the punishment; for then you shall not be helped.

https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... 9&verse=53

Regards

Hawkins
Scholar

Post #67

Post by Hawkins »

Rufus21 wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: I follow science where one should follow science and I follow religion/revelation where science does not work.

I've heard people say that science cannot handle situations outside the natural world, but there is no indication that religion can either. In fact, neither can offer any evidence that a supernatural realm exists in the first place. So what are some situations where science does not work but religion does?
Science can't tell what you just did yesterday.

However we can get to know what you did if an eye witness wrote about it for us to believe with faith. That's the only way. Science is futile about this.

Religion is just the claimed accounts of testimonies about God's deeds. It can be just as true as how an eye witness writes about your deeds. The only difference is that you are a human and can't do supernatural deeds while God can.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #68

Post by imhereforyou »

Rufus21 wrote:

Best I can tell, science is simply working evidence of what people do. In other words, if it doesn't 'work' it's more likely a flaw in the people perpetuating it - science isn't broken, we are.
Examples...I would guess those would be when experiments are ran and results aren't what's expected and nothing's learned from it.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #69

Post by paarsurrey1 »

imhereforyou wrote:
Rufus21 wrote:

Best I can tell, science is simply working evidence of what people do. In other words, if it doesn't 'work' it's more likely a flaw in the people perpetuating it - science isn't broken, we are.
Examples...I would guess those would be when experiments are ran and results aren't what's expected and nothing's learned from it.
In other words, if it doesn't 'work' it's more likely a flaw in the people perpetuating it

In other words, it is like religion. Right, please?
Regards

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #70

Post by imhereforyou »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
imhereforyou wrote:
Rufus21 wrote:

In other words, if it doesn't 'work' it's more likely a flaw in the people perpetuating it

In other words, it is like religion. Right, please?
Regards
In a sense, probably (if IT is science).
Some even say science has become a religion to some others.
But science seems to strive to prove answers more so that simply answering them because a guy with a beard said so.