Flood vs Jesus

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

higgy1911
Scholar

Flood vs Jesus

Post #1

Post by higgy1911 »

Just a quick question. If sending his son to die to redeem humanity was an option, why did God try the flood thing first?

And if you are not a literalist, how do these two stories work together and what do they represent?

Basically I'm trying to understand the "kill the unrighteous, promise not to again with water, redeem the unrighteous with blood sacrifice" line of thought. Literal or metaphorical.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Flood vs Jesus

Post #11

Post by onewithhim »

Elijah John wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
higgy1911 wrote: Just a quick question. If sending his son to die to redeem humanity was an option, why did God try the flood thing first?
The flood was to protect the last family on earth that actively had faith in the True God.
So faith in the one True God is enough then. Notice there is no evidence that Noah and his family prayed "in Jesus name" in order to be saved, or for anything for that matter. Yet it is certainly not a huge leap to believe that God heard and honored their prayers.

And Noah and his family knew nothing about the "saving work of Christ on the cross" and yet, were saved.

They simply believed in God and walked in His ways. Like Abraham, they believed in God and it was counted for them as righteousness.
Noah certainly had some knowledge of the plans for the future Redeemer that was referred to at Genesis 3:15. His life overlapped with some of those that actually knew Adam. I'm not at home now, so I can't look up more info on this right now, but I believe that to be true, so Noah would have heard it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. He would have accepted that as truth, and, even though he didn't know any details, he would have been looking forward to the fulfillment of that prophecy. He believed in the Ransom.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #12

Post by Elijah John »

onewithhim wrote: Noah certainly had some knowledge of the plans for the future Redeemer that was referred to at Genesis 3:15.
What is your evidence that Noah knew that, the Hebrew Bible hadn't even been written yet.
onewithhim wrote:
His life overlapped with some of those that actually knew Adam.

Even if Adam existed, and Noah knew some who knew Adam, (not a given), how can you be so sure they spoke of a "future Redeemer"?
onewithhim wrote: I'm not at home now, so I can't look up more info on this right now, but I believe that to be true, so Noah would have heard it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. He would have accepted that as truth, and, even though he didn't know any details, he would have been looking forward to the fulfillment of that prophecy. He believed in the Ransom.
See above.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Elijah John wrote:Even if [...] Noah knew some who knew Adam, (not a given), how can you be so sure they spoke of a "future Redeemer"?.

QUESTION: Is there biblical evidence Noah was aware of the biblical prophecy recorded at Genesis 3:15?

Yes, absolutely. According to bible chronology, Adam died in 3096; thus the lives of Adam and Lamech, Noah's father (b 3152) would have overlappped.

The bible records states that Lamech had faith in God, and after calling his son’s name Noah (probably meaning “Rest; Consolation�), he uttered the the following as recorded at Genesis 5:29: “This one will bring us comfort from our work and from the pain of our hands resulting from the ground which Jehovah has cursed.� The curse in question seems to be a reference to that mentioned by God in Genesis chapter 3 as part of his Edenic pronouncements (see Gen 3:17). Evidently Lamech then was aware that God had cursed the ground and would reasonably also have been aware of what else was said to Adam and Eve, including that of a promised "offspring" that would crush the "serpent".

Lamech could well have got this information directly from Adam or from Adam's son Seth, who was also one of Lamech's contemporaries. Obviously Noah would have been aware of his father's prophecy as well as its significants so it is more than reasonble to conclude Noah was aware of what transpired in Eden.

Lamech lived 777 years, dying about five years before the Flood.

INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8