Questions: The first born of all creation?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Questions: The first born of all creation?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

And he is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation (Colossians 1:15).

Questions:

(1) How can someone be the image of something invisible?

(2) If something is the "firstborn" there would have had to be a time when it did not yet exist, wouldn't there?

tigger2
Sage

Post #2

Post by tigger2 »

(1) In the same way man was made in the image of God. Genesis 1; 1 Cor. 11:7.

(2) Yes.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #3

Post by brianbbs67 »

1 Invisible to us, not invisible(he has a form)

2 yes

polonius
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by polonius »

brianbbs67 wrote:
And he is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation (Colossians 1:15).
Questions:

(1) How can someone be the image of something invisible?

(2) If something is the "firstborn" there would have had to be a time when it did not yet exist, wouldn't there?
Answers:

1 Invisible to us, not invisible(he has a form)

2 yes

QUESTIONS:

1. What form does God have? Isn't He immaterial?

2. If there was a time when the first born did not exist, Jesus is not co-eternal with God nor co-equal with God. Therefore the Trinity dogma is false.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by 2timothy316 »

polonius.advice wrote:
QUESTIONS:

1. What form does God have? Isn't He immaterial?
John 4:24 "God is a Spirit..."

The Bible doesn't go into really any detail other than that He is a spirit creature. He lives in a realm that is nothing like our physical realm. 1 Kings 8:27 says, "The heavens, yes, the heaven of the heavens, cannot contain you [Jehovah]." Not because of size but perhaps because of substance? We really have no Bible answer for why other than that He is physically 'unreachable' to mankind. (Ps 148:13)
2. If there was a time when the first born did not exist, Jesus is not co-eternal with God nor co-equal with God. Therefore the Trinity dogma is false.
Are you saying that Jehovah can't make something that can live eternally if He so chooses?

I agree that Jesus is not co-equal in authority and I agree the trinity dogma is false. Jesus' power isn't absolute. He doesn't hold power over his Father. John 5:19 states, "Son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he sees the Father doing."
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Questions: The first born of all creation?

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

First of all God is only invisible to humans, he is a spirit and other spirits (like himself) can see him ie he is not invisible in heaven (see Mat 18:10)
polonius.advice wrote:(1) How can someone be the image of something invisible?
An image is that which resembles the original, it doesn't have to resemble physically (although Jesus as "The Word" and God's first recreation may well resemble his father in what he looks like) it can resemble in character or behaviour.
Definition IMAGE

3 a :exact likeness :semblance
God created man in his own image—Genesis 1:27 (Revised Standard Version)
b :a person strikingly like another person she is the image of her mother

4 a :a tangible or visible representation :incarnation the image of filial devotion
b archaic :an illusory form :apparition
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/image
polonius.advice wrote:1. What form does God have?
We don't know, the bible doesn't say; we probably couldn't compute the information if it did. We are talking about an entirely different "dimension", we probably don't even have the lanuguage to describe what God looks like.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

polonius.advice wrote:(2) If something is the "firstborn" there would have had to be a time when it did not yet exist, wouldn't there?
That is correct. This posses somewhat of a problem to trinitarians that contend that Jesus had no beginning.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #8

Post by Elijah John »

1) I agree with the answers thus far for the first OP question.

2) This verse alone is New Testament evidence against the Trinity.

But I wonder, is there any evidence outside of the Gospel of John and the letters of Paul that Jesus Christ was the "firstborn of all Creation"?

Any evidence from Creation (Nature) Herself?

Can that claim be supported by any rational or philosophical process?

It seems as absurd to me as calling Jesus "God".
..I am YHVH, who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who by myself spread out the earth;
(Isaiah 44.24)

Note the bold, YHVH alone is Creator, no "co-Creator", no "agent of Creation" in Jesus, no "firstborn of all Creation" by whom all things were created". (JWs take note ;))
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by ttruscott »

polonius.advice wrote:How can someone be the image of something invisible?
Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers http://biblehub.com/colossians/1-15.htm
(15) The image of the invisible God.--This all important clause needs the most careful examination. We note accordingly (1) that the word "image" (like the word "form," Philippians 2:6-7) is used in the New Testament for real and essential embodiment, as distinguished from mere likeness. Thus in Hebrews 10:1 we read, "The law, having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things;" we note also in Romans 1:23 the distinction between the mere outward "likeness" and the "image" which it represented;

I tend to agree.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by 2timothy316 »

ttruscott wrote:
polonius.advice wrote:How can someone be the image of something invisible?
Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers http://biblehub.com/colossians/1-15.htm
(15) The image of the invisible God.--This all important clause needs the most careful examination. We note accordingly (1) that the word "image" (like the word "form," Philippians 2:6-7) is used in the New Testament for real and essential embodiment, as distinguished from mere likeness. Thus in Hebrews 10:1 we read, "The law, having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things;" we note also in Romans 1:23 the distinction between the mere outward "likeness" and the "image" which it represented;

I tend to agree.
From the same link provided.

Geneva Study Bible
7} Who is the image of the invisible God, {i} the firstborn of every creature:

(7) A graphic description of the person of Christ, by which we understand, that in him alone God shows himself to be seen: who was begotten of the Father before anything was made, that is, from everlasting. And by him also all things that are made, were made without any exception, by whom also they continue to exist, and whose glory they serve.

(i) Begotten before anything was made: and therefore the everlasting Son of the everlasting Father.

I tend to agree.