Can a non-Jewish person become the messiah of the last days?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

jsshirk

Post #1

Post by jsshirk »

Do you think it’s possible for a non-Jewish person to become the Messiah of the latter days? If one of the Davidic daughters marries outside the faith (not just outside the Jewish tribe/clan), could he take over the Davidic lineage? What do you think? Is the story of the Daughters of Zelophehad just about women becoming heirs or is there deeper meaning? Daughters of Zelophehad – Numbers 36.3

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Can a non-Jewish person become the messiah of the last d

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

jsshirk wrote: Do you think it’s possible for a non-Jewish person to become the Messiah of the latter days? If one of the Davidic daughters marries outside the faith (not just outside the Jewish tribe/clan), could he take over the Davidic lineage? What do you think? Is the story of the Daughters of Zelophehad just about women becoming heirs or is there deeper meaning? Daughters of Zelophehad – Numbers 36.3
Hello

What exactly is "a Messiah of the latter days"?

If one of the Davidic daughters marries outside the faith (not just outside the Jewish tribe/clan), could he take over the Davidic lineage?

I couldn't say because I don't understand the question. Are you asking if a Judean woman born of the royal bloodline of David married someone outside her tribe, would the child be considered of the royal tribe? If so, no I don't think so. At least biblically speaking. He would be considered a descendant of David (on his mother's side of course) but since his father was of another tribe he would be considered as belonging to the tribe of his father (not his mother) and would inherit the property, name and rights from his father not his mother.

Is the story of the Daughters of Zelophehad just about women becoming heirs or is there deeper meaning? Daughters of Zelophehad – Numbers 36.3

Well the daughters of Zelophehad established a legal precedent that girls could inherit property in the absence of a male heir; but they in turn had to marry of their own tribe to prevent the tribe from shrinking (ie land going over to another tribe) because as I said any property would normally go to the son who would be considered a member of the FATHER'S tribe not the mothers.

There are always lessons to be learned from any bible account but I cannot say I understand what lesson you are alluding to here.

JEHOVAH'S WINTESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

The daughters of Zelophehad is an example of the near-kinsman law. The child of the mother becomes the patriarch of his grandfather's inheritance, while also getting rights from the biological father. Since this was within the same tribe, any minor familial delusion, which might occur from this, is inconsequential, since the name of the fathers is retained and there is no delusion of tribal property rights. However, it does cause some confusion in the immediate family at the time. It is believed that is why Naomi's near-kinsman took a pass on Ruth and permitted Boaz to do the honors, allowing Obed, Ruth's son, to transmit the royal line to Yeshua.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #4

Post by paarsurrey1 »

It is a wrong notion that the Messiah of the last days has to be Jewish or Christian. Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908 is the Promised Messiah of the Latter Days or Last Days or of End-Times, and he is neither Jewish nor Christian. It is not a racial personage, it is a spiritual personage. Right, please?
Regards

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Can a non-Jewish person become the messiah of the last days?

It is a wrong notion that the Messiah of the last days has to be Jewish or Christian. Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908 is the Promised Messiah of the Latter Days or Last Days or of End-Times, and he is neither Jewish nor Christian. It is not a racial personage, it is a spiritual personage. Right, please?
Regards

You are swimming against the current, paarsurrey. Nice man though Mirza may have been, eighteenth century India doesn't seem a suitable place for a Messiah. I understand that he "revealed " Jesus escaped crucifixion. I suppose there will be others since the rules of messianic succession can change.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #6

Post by brianbbs67 »

Regards

I have not heard this one. Nor do I think we need another Messiah. But, for curiosity , what's the story?

jsshirk

Post #7

Post by jsshirk »

[Replying to brianbbs67]

Too early to tell.

jsshirk

Re: Can a non-Jewish person become the messiah of the last d

Post #8

Post by jsshirk »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

Thanks for your reply, it was much better thought out than my question. Yes, you're right on target regarding the Davidic bloodline in reference to my question.
The new Messiah of the end times is more of a Jewish thought and thus I have spoken to some rabbis with regards to this issue. They claim this Messiah must be Jewish. I don't believe so, I think it's the hidden meaning in the story of the daughters of Zelophehed. I guess maybe someday we'll see.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #9

Post by paarsurrey1 »

brianbbs67 wrote:

Regards

I have not heard this one. Nor do I think we need another Messiah. But, for curiosity , what's the story?
No. it is not a story. One may like to read from:
https://www.alislam.org/library/books/J ... -India.pdf
for more information, please.
Regards

marco
Savant

Post #10

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
No. it is not a story. One may like to read from:
https://www.alislam.org/library/books/J ... -India.pdf
for more information, please.
It is an invention. The single context for the far-fetched idea that Jesus braved the Afghans and journeyed to India is:

"It is written in Matthew chapter 12 verse 40: For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. "

Jonah survived. THEREFORE Jesus had to survive because, as everyone knows, a simile must be accurate in every detail. Surely the parallel is with Jesus being swallowed up for a few days, then returning. There is not the slightest problem with this interpretation as opposed to Jesus wandering, half dead, through the Khyber Pass.

What about the "heart of the earth"? Matthew is just comparing inside a tomb with inside a whale, though his simile isn't particularly apt here. However, if we make "heart of the Earth" the Middle East we can deduce Jesus went to Australia, Canada or maybe India. It must be India because some Buddhist tales are like Christ's tales e.g. be nice to folk. Wow!

I think we can safely ignore this new Messiah however nice he sounds.