David did not pray "in Jesus name"

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

David did not pray "in Jesus name"

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

We have many examples of the prayers of King David in the book of Psalms. They are all addressed to the YHVH God, and none end with "in Jesus name, amen".

For debate, in spite of this omission, did God hear and answer David's prayers?

If so, how important is it to pray "in Jesus name"?

And come to think of it, the Synoptic Jesus did not teach his disciples to pray "in Jesus name we pray". Only to hallow the Father's name.

If praying "in Jesus name" is actually something that Jesus actually taught, why did Matthew and Luke not record it?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

bluethread
Savant

Post #21

Post by bluethread »

marco wrote:
If we are to bring Scripture to our assistance, perhaps it should relate to the OP. In any event, the process of revelation ended 2 millennia ago, unless we believe that Muhammad heard God's instructions in 7th century Arabia.
Belief in revelation does not require one to believe in all professed revelation.

marco
Savant

Post #22

Post by marco »

bluethread wrote:
marco wrote:
If we are to bring Scripture to our assistance, perhaps it should relate to the OP. In any event, the process of revelation ended 2 millennia ago, unless we believe that Muhammad heard God's instructions in 7th century Arabia.
Belief in revelation does not require one to believe in all professed revelation.
Perhaps not, but when we enter the personal field of God whispering to individuals we confuse truth and nonsense. The Biblical God had a strong voice. When did he acquire laryngitis?

Prince
Scholar

Post #23

Post by Prince »

marco wrote:
bluethread wrote:
marco wrote:
Perhaps not, but when we enter the personal field of God whispering to individuals we confuse truth and nonsense. The Biblical God had a strong voice. When did he acquire laryngitis?
Problem is that He is not whispering to you. There is revelation going on just not to you.

Jesus said He would reveal Himself to those that keep His commandments. Problem is people don't know what that means. Jesus said He was the Son of man and the truth, the word of God. So if He is to reveal Himself then One would see the truth, the word of God. People think they know God's word but it is not possible because they don't even know what it is to keep the commandments.

One must find it for themselves. Everything one needs to find the revelation is in scripture.

Scripture says;

"Keep the ways of the Lord by doing what is right and just."

"Keep the commandments of the Lord by walking in His ways and revering Him."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #24

Post by JehovahsWitness »

TheoNovice wrote: First, thanks to all for the warm welcome. As I have stated in my original post, I have concluded the Trinity is false. I can find no clear evidence in scripture to support it and to simply say that I must accept it because it us beyond my understanding is not acceptable to me. So based on that premise, my next step is to understand who Jesus was and what his authority was. My struggle is how divine was Jesus? Was he fallable?
Well what you conclude about this question would depend on whether you are an atheist or not and whether you believe the bible record - scripture calls Jesus "God's son", also referred to as 'The Word" that was with God "in the beginning". Jesus himself alluded to his prehuman existence and scripture specifically state he played a role in the creationn of the universe.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #25

Post by brianbbs67 »

marco wrote:
bluethread wrote: [quote="
He hasn't ever I believe. He speaks to whom He wants, shows to whom He wants and reveals, to whom He wants. That doesn't make any of those special. Just make them those He revealed to. He say in Tanakh, he reveals Himself to all. Whether by action, indication, direct intervention, speech or dreams, all will know him. Will we listen, yes. Will we always react properly, no. Its part of the game of life. Divide the Word properly and seek the Kingdom is our task.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #26

Post by brianbbs67 »

Wootah wrote: I recently learnt that YHVH is pictorially the same as "the hand reveals, the nail reveals".

That seems to be a picture of Jesus on the cross.
Look at the Hebrew alphabet. 20 letters I think? Substitute all known vowels into the Tetragramaton and you either have Yaweh or Yahooah.(phonetically ). Just like, Jesus, is Yeshau or Yehoshau. Either way means, He delivers. Joshua to us.

bluethread
Savant

Post #27

Post by bluethread »

marco wrote:
bluethread wrote:
Who say that Adonai no longer has a strong voice. Adonai has revealed Himself in many different ways over time. We see the "still small voice" when Adonai comforted Yeshiyahu, while he was hiding, after Adonai had just a day or two earlier revealed Himself in a fire that consumed an entire sacrifice along with a trench full of water surrounding it.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #28

Post by brianbbs67 »

marco wrote:
bluethread wrote:
marco wrote:

I thought about this some more. The Bible God had a loud voice because we read it in a book. And it is accepted by the characters involved.(perspective) When ears close and audience is reduced, the voice is still there, just not as many listening for it or to it.

Monta
Guru

Post #29

Post by Monta »

TheoNovice wrote: I am a novice at this, but am very interested in this topic as I believe the importance of the answer is highly based on your views of the Trinity. I have fairly recently come to the realization that the Trinity is false teaching, but that further complicates the matter of exactly who Jesus is/was and what power he has and how we should view him. God was clear that we are to worship no other god. Would Jesus, if the Trinity is false, not 've consider another god in the way that we portray him. Would he not be an idol?
I've been novice for many years. Trinity takes dedicated study and you must find good theologians. I am content with what I've come to understand and always there's room for improvement of course.

God is One and (most) Christians even if speaking of Trinity see Him as One.
The essence of God is divine love and the divine wisdom.

As to the flesh Jesus was Mary's son and human like any other, as to his soul He was Divine Word, Wisdom: as He said, I come from the Father, I am from above.
At times he spoke as human other times as divine depending on the situation and need. In His communications we see Him taking care that his human does not upstage the divine but always in subservience.
This according to Order, the divine is higher than the human.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Re: David did not pray "in Jesus name"

Post #30

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Elijah John wrote: We have many examples of the prayers of King David in the book of Psalms. They are all addressed to the YHVH God, and none end with "in Jesus name, amen".

For debate, in spite of this omission, did God hear and answer David's prayers?

If so, how important is it to pray "in Jesus name"?

And come to think of it, the Synoptic Jesus did not teach his disciples to pray "in Jesus name we pray". Only to hallow the Father's name.

If praying "in Jesus name" is actually something that Jesus actually taught, why did Matthew and Luke not record it?
A very pertinent question to ask from the Pauline-Christianity people. Jesus did not and could not give such teachings as it is Paul and the Pauline-Christianity that elevated Jesus, though fictionally, to the status of God.
The true Christians should pray to YHVH/Allah whom Jesus used to address as God-the-Father. David prayed to YHVH/Allah and never to Jesus, please. Right, please?

Regards