Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Jehovah's Witnesses and 1914

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
polonius.advice wrote:They now insist that Jesus did return but he is invisible.

If so, how would they know he has returned?
If you are refering to JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES we believe know because of the signs Jesus provided to identify the time (see Mat 24, Lk 21, Mk 14) and we believe it started in 1914 because of our interpretation of bible chronology (see link below).

Learn more
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... -prophecy/

JW
1. What exactly happened in 1914 that points to Matthew 24, Luke 21 and Mark 14?

2. Was 1914 unique in this regard? For example, Luke 21 mentions "wars and uprisings". In what way is 1914 unique in terms of wars and uprisings?

3. According to (my understanding of) Jehovah's Witnesses' claims, Jesus' rule from 1914 is hidden and behind the scenes. His rule is invisible to most of us. Did Jehovah's Witnesses predict that Jesus' rule would be behind the scenes from the start? Or did they initially believe that Jesus' rule will be clearly apparent to everyone, and only after 1914 when no Jesus was to be found did they change their conclusion to "well Jesus must be doing it in heaven where no one can see"?

4. Do you consider the possibility that your interpretation might be wrong and that Jesus did not return in 1914? Or do you believe that it is an indisputable fact that Jesus returned in 1914?

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses and 1914

Post #11

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote:3. According to (my understanding of) Jehovah's Witnesses' claims, Jesus' rule from 1914 is hidden and behind the scenes. His rule is invisible to most of us.
Not hidden from the faithful
How, as a faithful, can you see indications of Jesus' rule? Do you actually notice Jesus' rule? Or do you just assume it is happening?

For example, I can point to various signs of a new earthly ruler. I can point to changes in legislation, changes in tax, etc. What can you point to as an example of changes occurring due to Jesus' rule? Or are there no actual changes?
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote:4. Do you consider the possibility that your interpretation might be wrong and that Jesus did not return in 1914?
Anything is possible and of course when I was first looking into the matter, like most people new to the subject, I did not believe it. Now I am absolutely convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt that Jesus is indeed ruling in heaven.
Can you perhaps give a reason why?
JehovahsWitness wrote: I think it should be noted that most Christians believe Jesus is presently a king in heaven unseen by most humans, the only point of contention is "since when?" Some say "Since the beginning of time" other says "Since the Roman era (ie for 2000 years)" Jehovah's Witnesses say "Since 1914" but the ruling in heaven invisible to humans part is, I believe standard amongst most Christians.

What do you believe Jesus did before 1914? Did he just sit around in heaven? Did he receive some kind of training on how to rule heaven? You also believe that this rule lasted only a 100 years, correct? Between 1914 and 2014? Why did Jesus stop ruling in 2014? What is he doing now? Is there any perceivable difference between 2014 and now that indicates Jesus no longer ruling?

JehovahsWitness wrote:In any case if I ask most Christians "Do you believe Jesus *is* a king?" most Christians will say "Yes!" and if I ask "Do you believe everyone can presently see him ruling?" The will likely answer "No".

The difference between their claim and Jehovah's Witnesses' claims is that they don't need to account for any changes. When I was a Christian, I believed the universe functioned because of Jesus' rule. That the fact that we are alive at all is because of Jesus' rule. So our existence was a sign of his rule. But you clearly do not believe this. There is nothing of substance that indicates Jesus' rule. He rules, but nothing comes of it. Which is why most people never even noticed his rule beginning in 1914 and his rule ending in 2014. A ruler who makes such a little difference that no one even notices his rule is a pretty insignificant ruler in my opinion.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote:3. According to (my understanding of) Jehovah's Witnesses' claims, Jesus' rule from 1914 is hidden and behind the scenes. His rule is invisible to most of us.
How, as a faithful, can you see indications of Jesus' rule? Do you actually notice Jesus' rule? Or do you just assume it is happening?

For example, I can point to various signs of a new earthly ruler. I can point to changes in legislation, changes in tax, etc. What can you point to as an example of changes occurring due to Jesus' rule? Or are there no actual changes?
If God's kingdom has been in power since 1914 why have there been no significant changes on earth?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 72#p883772

Did Jesus do nothing prior to 1914?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 22#p883622

Can we see evidence of Kingdom action today?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 65#p835865

What measures has the Kingdom already taken? [Q&A]
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 88#p835788?
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

Can we see evidence of Kingdom action today?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 865#835865

We see him driving HIS government - his heavenly kingdom government of 144,000 spirit anointed members of government along with Jesus ruling from Heaven since 1914 (Rev 14:1). The ever increasing number of request to become citizens (Isaiah 60:22: Rev 7:9)
Citizens of what?
JehovahsWitness wrote: the ever improving educational program (Isaiah 60: 16, 17)
Why attribute this to Jesus?
JehovahsWitness wrote:the organization and implementation of a stupendous international preaching and teaching program (Mat 24:14), and much more...
Again, why attribute this to Jesus? Why not just attribute this to the various religious institutions? Do you think that had Jesus not been ruling since 1914 that it would be impossible for religious institutions to preach internationally? Muslims preach all the time, yet I doubt you believe that this is due to Muhammad's rule. So if Muslims can preach without Muhammad being in power, why do Jehovah's Witnesses need Jesus ruling in heaven in order to preach?
JehovahsWitness wrote: If God's kingdom has been in power since 1914 why have there been no significant changes on earth?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 772#883772

This does not mean Jesus has been inactive since 1914, indeed the scripures speak of some key event that have occurred since 1914, in heaven, invisible to humans but that have effected mankind profoundly
- The celestial war resulting in Satan and his demons being permanetly ousted from heaven - Rev 12:10-12
So before 1914, Satan and his demons would visit heaven occasionally?
- The selecting training and appointing of the last of the members of the government (Rev 14:1,3)

- The selecting, training, organizing and education of the citizens of the kingdom (Rev 7:9; Isaiah 11:9; Isaiah 2:4)

- The organisation of a global government campaign puting all humans on notice of the coming change in world order (Mat 24:14)
Are these citizens you are referring to living human beings? Are they people in heaven? Or a bit of both?
JehovahsWitness wrote: Did Jesus do nothing prior to 1914?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 622#883622

Jesus has been very busy since his return to heaven and we shouldn't forget that he no doubt still has his authority as The Word or the chief spokesman of God, speaking and acting on Jehovah's behalf.
You would think that, Jesus being the son of God and all, that it wouldn't take him 2000 years to do whatever it is he's doing. "Very busy" doing what exactly? What could possibly take an omnipotent being 2000 years to achieve?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: We see him driving HIS government - his heavenly kingdom government of 144,000 spirit anointed members of government along with Jesus ruling from Heaven since 1914 (Rev 14:1). The ever increasing number of request to become citizens (Isaiah 60:22: Rev 7:9)
Citizens of what?
Citizens of the kingdom. Jehovah's consider themselves potential citzens (subjects) of kingdom rule. Our primariy allegience is to the Kingdom government. and its laws above beyond any other.
Justin108 wrote:
[a] The selecting training and appointing of the last of the members of the government (Rev 14:1,3)

[ b] The selecting, training, organizing and education of the citizens (subjects) of the kingdom (Rev 7:9; Isaiah 11:9; Isaiah 2:4)

[c] The organisation of a global government campaign puting all humans on notice of the coming change in world order (Mat 24:14)
Are these citizens you are referring to living human beings? Are they people in heaven? Or a bit of both?
Are these citizens you are referring to living human beings? Yes. I'm one of them [ b] and I can assure you I and all my fellow Jehovah's Witnesses are all human beings.

Are they people in heaven? i believe those that have been chosen to be members of the government [a] will go to heaven after they die. But while they are alive on earth they are indeed human beings living on this planet earth (not in heaven).

[c] would be you, everyone on this forum and all non-witnesses on the planet earth; I presume you are a human being.

JW

Further reading
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/maga ... orruption/

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: We see him driving HIS government - his heavenly kingdom government of 144,000 spirit anointed members of government along with Jesus ruling from Heaven since 1914 (Rev 14:1). The ever increasing number of request to become citizens (Isaiah 60:22: Rev 7:9)
Citizens of what?
Citizens of the kingdom. Jehovah's consider themselves potential citzens (subjects) of kingdom rule.
So basically you're saying that because your religion is growing, it's an indication that Jesus is ruling in heaven? What do you make of the fact that Islam as a religion is growing as well? Is this an indication that Muhammad is ruling in heaven as well?

Some questions you missed:
JehovahsWitness wrote: the ever improving educational program (Isaiah 60: 16, 17)
Why attribute this to Jesus?
JehovahsWitness wrote:the organization and implementation of a stupendous international preaching and teaching program (Mat 24:14), and much more...
Again, why attribute this to Jesus? Why not just attribute this to the various religious institutions? Do you think that had Jesus not been ruling since 1914 that it would be impossible for religious institutions to preach internationally? Muslims preach all the time, yet I doubt you believe that this is due to Muhammad's rule. So if Muslims can preach without Muhammad being in power, why do Jehovah's Witnesses need Jesus ruling in heaven in order to preach?
JehovahsWitness wrote: If God's kingdom has been in power since 1914 why have there been no significant changes on earth?

This does not mean Jesus has been inactive since 1914, indeed the scripures speak of some key event that have occurred since 1914, in heaven, invisible to humans but that have effected mankind profoundly
- The celestial war resulting in Satan and his demons being permanetly ousted from heaven - Rev 12:10-12
JehovahsWitness wrote: Did Jesus do nothing prior to 1914?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 622#883622

Jesus has been very busy since his return to heaven and we shouldn't forget that he no doubt still has his authority as The Word or the chief spokesman of God, speaking and acting on Jehovah's behalf.
You would think that, Jesus being the son of God and all, that it wouldn't take him 2000 years to do whatever it is he's doing. "Very busy" doing what exactly? What could possibly take an omnipotent being 2000 years to achieve?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

Justin108 wrote:

Yes that's exactly right, not the following bible passage from the book of Job:

Now the day came when the sons of the true God entered to take their station before Jehovah, and Satan also entered among them. Then Jehovah said to Satan: “Where have you come from?� Satan answered Jehovah: “From roving about on the earth and from walking about in it.� And Jehovah said to Satan: “Have you taken note of my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth. [...] So Satan went out from the presence of Jehovah. - Job 1:6-12 NWT (compare Mat 6:9)

Elijah John
Savant

Post #17

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote:

Yes that's exactly right, not the following bible passage from the book of Job:

Now the day came when the sons of the true God entered to take their station before Jehovah, and Satan also entered among them. Then Jehovah said to Satan: “Where have you come from?� Satan answered Jehovah: “From roving about on the earth and from walking about in it.� And Jehovah said to Satan: “Have you taken note of my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth. [...] So Satan went out from the presence of Jehovah. - Job 1:6-12 NWT (compare Mat 6:9)
Don't you think Satan's "visits" to Heaven could be accounted for by his evolving role in Judaic thought? In the time of Job he was regarded as God's servant, His prosecuting attorney, so to speak. It was only later he evolved (in the minds of Jewish and Christian theologians and apologists) to the role of "prince of darkness" and the embodiment of evil.

Do all Fundamentalists and Bible literalists, (JW's AND Evangelicals) discount the probability of evolution in religious thinking recorded in the Bible? There are several examples of this.

-From the monaltry of Moses, to the pure and absolute monotheism of Isaiah.
-From Mosaic blood-atonement to pure and simple repentance taught by the Prophets,
-From Sheol to Heaven and hell. And so on.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

Justin108 wrote:
... why attribute this to Jesus? Why not just attribute this to the various religious institutions?

Because no other organization on earth, religious or not, has even come CLOSE to achieving what Jehovah's Witnesses have done in our modern age.

PREACHING: Not just a "clergy" class, not just islamic "imam" every member

To have 8 million people, men women and children, go from door to door free of charge bible in hand to speak to people at their own home year after year, is not something any human can achieve . No other organization whether religious, commercial, political or social has the incentives can move every single member of a community to such action, not for a campaign of a few months or even years but every single month for as long as they live.

PREACHING: A lifelong calling rather than a time bound "campaign"

While there are dedicated men and women in all faiths, the facts are clear: Mormon men (I think men only) have missionary service for only two years, and in many muslim communities Muslim women are not even allowed out of their homes let alone to go to strangers homes and speak to them about their faith. If the Pope asked all Catholics to go from door to door or no longer be considered Catholic, their numbers would I think plummet to single figures and if they or Coca Cola asked its employees to do this out of love of the product without pay, I wonder how long that would last.

Yes an entire community will fight to the death for their own survival, and suicide cults actually kill themselves, Jehovah's Witnesses are willing to suffer personal loss (not to get to heaven - suicide cults) or pay for classes to better their personal lives (scientologists) they are willing to suffering financial loss and inconvenience (even in certain circumstances) paying with their lives to improve the lives of OTHERS.

PREACHING: Without pay, without charging

Apostate Christianity (and Islam) was mainly spread with the sword, and scientology charge new members hundreds of thousands of dollars for their services. In contrast, hundreds of thousands of people a year voluntarily join in this work (despite opposition, ridicule and in some countries at the risk of their lives) is testimony in my opinion to a higher power. True some of the world's biggest charities do have unpaid workers, their CEO's, top managers and others do draw a salary (and some quite a handsome one at that). In contrast NONE of Jehovah's Witnesses are paid for the time they speand preaching the good news, nor do they charge for their time.
ZECHARIAH 4:6
Not by a military force, nor by power, but by my spirit,� says Jehovah of armies. - NWT

PREACHING: Despite opposition

Further, some of the most powerful regimes in the world vowing to wipe Jehovah's Witnesses out and put an end to their preaching work, but rather than that their numbers increase, how can this be explained? When confronted with extermination or military or ideological obliteration other religions such as Islam take to their arms to defend themselves, since Jehovah's Witnesses have never resorted to "holy wars" or Crusades to defend themselves, how are they still here?
ISAIAH 54:17
No weapon formed against you will have any success [...]. This is the heritage of the servants of Jehovah - NWT
It cannot be due to their non existent political prowess or lobbying or business contacts or even general popularity, so who or what is sustaining these people? Sheer determination, personal conviction and enthusiasm can only take a community so far. What other human organization has been able to increase without commercial advertising, commercial enterprise, business ventures or military or governmental backing and without paying any of its members? If JWs have done so, who is backing them?

PREACHING The same message, the same standards in every country

It was once said, no matter where on earth you go, you will find two things, Coca-Cola and Jehovah's Witnesses. Many are astounded to learn of the global scope of the world of Jehovah's Witnesses. While some suggest and entire community going from "door to door" on a global scale is nothing extraordinary, one could invite such ones to point out where such a thing has ever been done before. Further, as organizations (especially religious ones) grow they tend to break apart into regional groups with their own cultural or regional particularities; this is what happened to apostate Christianity. That same expansion tends to produce prominent personalities that in turn tend to reject centralization. The sustained global unity of the message of Jehovah's Witnesses is another feature that gives evidence of divine backing.

While one or more of the features above may find expression to a limited degree in other organisations, only the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses have been able to display them ALL. Jehovah's Witnesses are not the largest or the fastest growing, we are not the richest and certainly not he most loved religion but when someone does something no human has been able to achieve, there is reason to ask how and by what means this was finally done.

CONCLUSION: The work of Jehovah's Witnesses is unequaled in human history, it is a modern day miracle and many believe clear evidence they have been as a group protected, guided and enabled to prosper spiritually in fulfillment of the pophecy at Matthew 24:14 by none other their King and leader Jesus Christ.
In 2017 Jehovah's Witnesses spent a total of 1,983, 763, 754 hours preaching the good news in 240 lands and regions throughout the earth

JW

Further information
https://tv.jw.org/#en/categories/VODOurOrganization

RELATED POSTS

Was "Great Commission" given uniquely to the eleven Apostles?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 95#p937795

WHY did Jesus commission his disciples to preach ?
viewtopic.php?p=1024798#p1024798

With thousands of Christian denomination what is one identifying Mark of the true religion?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 48#p897648

Does God reach out to save people through human envoys?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 70#p940370

How extensively do Jehovah's Witnesses preach the good news?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 24#p812724

Do Jehovah's Witnesses deliberately target particular demographics?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 94#p960294

Does Pauls expression "every creature under heaven" (Col 1:23) allude to humans having a prehuman existence?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 37#p828637

Do Jehovah's Witnesses preach in Islamic countries?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 31#p883531

Why is the preaching work of Jehovahs Witnesses remarkable?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 97#p891497,
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , THE 2ND COMING and ...THE GREAT COMMISSION,
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
Because no other organization on earth, religious or not, has even come CLOSE to achieving what Jehovah's Witnesses have done in our modern age.

PREACHING: Not just a "clergy" class, not just islamic "imam" every member

To have 8 million people, men women and children, go from door to door free of charge bible in hand to speak to people at their own home year after year, is not something any human can achieve . No other organization whether religious, commercial, political or social has the incentives can move every single member of a community to such action, not for a campaign of a few months or even years but every single month for as long as they live.
The Church of Scientology convinces its members to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to advance their OT levels. People go bankrupt over this. There have been cults where followers are so dedicated, they commit ritualistic suicide. Ever heard of the Jonestown massacre? Not to mention radical Muslims who blow themselves up in the name of Allah. People give everything they have, including their lives, to their religion all the time and you think that it's amazing that Jehovah's Witnesses go door to door...?

What have you done for your faith lately?
Scientologist: I gave my entire life savings to my church
Radical Muslim: I'm going to blow myself up next week
Jehovah's Witness: I'm... going to knock on someone's door and talk to them a bit...
JehovahsWitness wrote: PREACHING: A lifelong calling rather than a time bound "campaign"

Mormon men (I think men only) have missionary service for only two years, and in many muslim communities Muslim women are not even allowed out of their homes let alone to go to strangers homes and speak to them about their faith. If the Pope asked all Catholics to go from door to door or no longer be considered Catholic, their numbers would I think plummet to single figures and if they or Coca Cola asked its employees to do this out of love of the product without pay, I wonder how long that would last.
So basically what you're saying is that so many other Christians preach, but because you preach the most, it must logically follow that Jesus must be behind it?
JehovahsWitness wrote:if they or Coca Cola asked its employees to do this out of love of the product without pay, I wonder how long that would last.
All you're proving is that Jehovah's Witnesses are dedicated. Well good for you guys. But being dedicated to an ideal does not make that ideal true. It is possible for people to be dedicated to a false religion. It is possible for Jehovah's Witnesses to spend their every waking moment preaching the Gospel and still be wrong about it. None of this proves Jesus' rule. All it proves is that Jehovah's Witnesses are dedicated.
JehovahsWitness wrote: PREACHING: Without pay, without charging

Apostate Christianity (and Islam) was spread with the sword, but that hundreds of thousands of people a year voluntarily join in this work (despite opposition, ridicule and in some countries at the risk of their lives) is testimony in my opinion to a higher power.
No, it's testimony that these people think there is a higher power. Again, it is possible to be dedicated to a false ideal.
JehovahsWitness wrote:They have neither been paid nor do they charge for their time, what human organization has been able to increase without advertising...
Going door to door isn't advertising?
JehovahsWitness wrote: PREACHING: Despite opposition

Further, some of the most powerful regimes in the world vowing to wipe Jehovah's Witnesses out and put an end to their preaching work, but rather than that their numbers increase, how can this be explained?
Dedication... If a Muslim claimed "we won the Crusades because of Allah's glory", how would you respond? How can it be explained that the "enemy" won a Holy War against the One True God? Does it suggest divine intervention? Or simply the dedication of the Muslims?
JehovahsWitness wrote:Sheer determination, personal conviction and enthusiasm is simply not enough to compell an entire commuityy in this way.
Yes it is.
JehovahsWitness wrote:Yes an entire community will fight to the death for their own survival, but Jehovah's Witnesses are at the very least suffering financial
As are Scientologists. FAR more than Jehovah's Witnesses.
http://www.xenu.net/archive/prices.html
JehovahsWitness wrote:loss and inconvenience and at the most paying with their lives what they believe to be the survival of others, this is extraordinary.
Radical Muslims and cultists literally pay with their lives. Or do you think that going door to door is a bigger sacrifice than killing yourself?
JehovahsWitness wrote: PREACHING The same message, the same standards in every country

As organizations grow they tend to break apart into regional groups with their own cultural or regional particularities.
Kind of like how Christianity broke up into various groups to finally form Jehovah's Witnesses? You are not the core of Christianity. Christianity is not as unified as you try to make it sound. You are one little sect of a largely broken-up religion.
JehovahsWitness wrote: CONCLUSION The work of Jehovah's Witnesses is unequaled in human history, it is a modern day miracle and I believe clear evidence they have been as a group protected, guided and enabled to prosper spiritual due to their king and leader Jesus Christ.
Odd that you would use these precise criteria to show off how "unequal" your religion is. Why didn't you mention that you are the fastest growing religion? Wait, that's Islam. Why not mention that you're the largest Christian sect? Oh because that's Catholicism. The oldest religion? That's Hinduism. Of course, if you cherry pick the criteria for "most amazing religion ever", then you can force yours to win the race. What if a Catholic argued that Catholicism is true because it has the most numbers? Or because it's the oldest? Or because it was started by Peter? Essentially, your entire argument amounts to "because we preach more than the others do".

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #20

Elijah John wrote:Don't you think Satan's "visits" to Heaven could be accounted for by his evolving role in Judaic thought?
No Jehovah's Witnesses believe angels (spirits) actually exist. We believe God is a spirit and not just a man made idea and we believe that angels are other spirits that actually exist.

JW