Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Jehovah's Witnesses and 1914

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
polonius.advice wrote:They now insist that Jesus did return but he is invisible.

If so, how would they know he has returned?
If you are refering to JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES we believe know because of the signs Jesus provided to identify the time (see Mat 24, Lk 21, Mk 14) and we believe it started in 1914 because of our interpretation of bible chronology (see link below).

Learn more
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... -prophecy/

JW
1. What exactly happened in 1914 that points to Matthew 24, Luke 21 and Mark 14?

2. Was 1914 unique in this regard? For example, Luke 21 mentions "wars and uprisings". In what way is 1914 unique in terms of wars and uprisings?

3. According to (my understanding of) Jehovah's Witnesses' claims, Jesus' rule from 1914 is hidden and behind the scenes. His rule is invisible to most of us. Did Jehovah's Witnesses predict that Jesus' rule would be behind the scenes from the start? Or did they initially believe that Jesus' rule will be clearly apparent to everyone, and only after 1914 when no Jesus was to be found did they change their conclusion to "well Jesus must be doing it in heaven where no one can see"?

4. Do you consider the possibility that your interpretation might be wrong and that Jesus did not return in 1914? Or do you believe that it is an indisputable fact that Jesus returned in 1914?

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses and 1914

Post #51

Post by For_The_Kingdom »

Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 44 by For_The_Kingdom]

I don't have to talk to a Witness born in the 60's because I am one. Thanking you kindly for your advice nonetheless.

Regards,

JW
For_The_Kingdom wrote: Talk to any ex-Witness who was born around <--1960
Good point lol.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #52

Post by For_The_Kingdom »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 47 by Justin108]

What makes you think I haven't spoken to ex-witnesses on this topic? I am fully aware of the issues related to 1914, past and present (many of which I have dealt with in this thread), I lived through the period and have had countless in depth discussions with many dozens of witnesses and ex-witnesses on the subject. I have read most if not all the first source material on this topic as well as related university papers that deal with it.

Was there anything else you feel inclined to add?

JW
Hmm, interesting. What does the Bible say about false prophecies? The WTS has been on record saying that it is God's prophet on earth...that's funny, because the Bible says..

Deut 18:20-22

20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.�

21 You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?� 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed."

So in a nutshell, the WTS "spoke in God's name things that he did not command"...and they also made prophecies that "did not take place or come true", so therefore their message was a message that the "Lord has not spoken".

Plain and simple.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #53

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 50 by JehovahsWitness]

Moderator Comment
Avoid one liners please.
Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #54

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 51 by For_The_Kingdom]

Moderator Comment
Please use the mpg token system to recommend praise instead of one liners thank you.
Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #55

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:41 am
Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: If you are refering to JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES we believe know because of the signs Jesus provided to identify the time (see Mat 24, Lk 21, Mk [strike]14[/strike] 13)

JW
1. What exactly happened in 1914 that points to Matthew 24, Luke 21 and Mark 14?

If you read what I said we (Jehovah's Witnesses) believe that the scriptures provide information as to a "sign" that identify "the time" or the period (often refered to as "the last days") meaning a period of time that leads directly to the great tribulation (or the end of the system of things).

The date 1914 cannot in our opinion, specifically be pinpointed from this "composite sign".

as I said above
"we believe [Christ's rule] started in 1914 because of our interpretation of bible chronology (see link below).

Learn more
https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/bib ... y/#p82-p88

Further reading: 1914 A Significant Year in Bible Prophecy
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... -prophecy/
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... last-days/

GLOSSARY OF TERMS [END TIMES]

RELATED POSTS

How do Jehovahs arrive at 1914 being a pivotal year in bible chronology?
viewtopic.php?p=891124#p891124

607 BCE Why does the date given by Jehovah's Witnesses for the Fall of Jerusalem to the Babylonians, differ from that of most historians of ?
viewtopic.php?p=825698#p825698

Are the gentile times calculateur using solar or lunar calenders?
viewtopic.php?p=1060989#p1060989

How is the length of the 7 gentile times calculated?
viewtopic.php?p=1045117#p1045117

What happened when the gentile times ended ?
viewtopic.php?p=1045119#p1045119

Why do JWs not believe the Messianic Kingdom started in 33CE ?
viewtopic.php?p=1045115#p1045115

Is it biblically sound to link prophecies written by DANIEL centuries before Jesus earthly ministry with future events ?
viewtopic.php?p=1045975#p1045975

Did Jehovah's Witnesses predict that Jesus' rule INVISIBLY before 1914?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 41#p891141

What did Jehovahs Witnesses expect to happen in 1914? [Onewithim]
viewtopic.php?p=1044836#p1044836

Did Jehovahs Witnesses predict the First World War of 1914?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 67#p928267

Is it possible to pinpoint exactly when this present system will be destroyed?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 23#p891423

how long is a "biblical" generation ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 02#p898902

If God's kingdom has been in power since 1914 why have there been no significant changes on earth?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 72#p883772

Did Jesus do nothing prior to 1914?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 22#p883622

Are Jehovah's Witnesses the only one's that believe Christ rules invisibly ?
viewtopic.php?p=981835#p981835

Can we see evidence of Kingdom action today?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 65#p835865

What measures has the Kingdom already taken? [Q&A]
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 88#p835788
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

GOD'S KINGDOM, 1914 and ... THE GENTILE TIMES
The "large tree" represented Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 4:20-22).

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #56

Post by JehovahsWitness »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:10 pm

That would be the initial fulfillment, in its major fulfillment the tree represents the kings of God's kingdom

INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #57

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I'm not really proposing to participate in this. But I was intrigued by this suggestion that the 1914 prediction was in fact correct and, in an invisible way, Jesus has returned has returned and the end times/Last Days are here and have been for over 100 years.

I hardly need say that nobody who is not already a believer is going to see that as anything but self - delusionary. Even the oft - seen claim that the founding of Israel in the 20th c was prophecy coming true and this was the End Times coming - invisibly for the last half a century. And there have been many end of world predictions since then and they have all failed in any and every appreciable way.

Sure, there are always wars and rumours of wars. But that is an ongoing joke amongst skeptics:

"There will be rainstorms, and car crashes, and electricity will fail!"
"Wah! prophecy!
"

Not arguin' just sayin' :) and putting notice that prophecies that don't pan out, as well as everyday coincidences (I've seen a few dillies in my own atheistic life), are NOT in any way whatsoever reasons to reasonably think that anything is coming to pass or that (other than retrospective prophecy - 'predicting' after the event (1) prophecies coming true. and that's why I don't have have a dog in this fight. Just that nobody who doesn't either already have Faith or is utterly gullible and too lazy to look up 'failed prophecy' is going to buy this 'prophecy' stuff, which seems to consist of either excusing why they don't happen, or saying nothing about it, hoping nobody will remember and making the next one.

But we do remember, and the failure of the JW's at least is to be seen on Wiki

Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society publications have made a series of predictions about Christ's Second Coming and the advent of God's Kingdom, each of which has gone unfulfilled. Almost all the predictions for 1878, 1881, 1914, 1918 and 1925 were later reinterpreted as a confirmation of the eschatological framework of the Bible Student movement and Jehovah's Witnesses, with many of the predicted events viewed as having taken place invisibly. Further expectations were held for the arrival of Armageddon in 1975, but resulted in a later apology to members from the society's leadership.

English researcher George D. Chryssides has argued that although there have been some "unrealized expectations", changes in Watch Tower chronology are attributable more to changed chronological schemes, rather than to failed predictions. The Watch Tower Society has acknowledged errors, which it said helped "sift" the unfaithful from its ranks, but says adherents remained confident that "God's Word" had not failed.
[2]

And other such predictions are no better. Remember the May calendar prediction? We're still here. Did anyone see that slimy preacher and his crack across America nonsense? I'm not a violent man, but I've never seen a face I so wanted to hit, other than Nigel Farrage.

(1) the siege of Tyre is the test case here. Spun as a prophecy, it is written after Alexander's conquest and we can even place it because it describes a ruined Tyre with the causeway (made of the rubble of mainland Tyre) connecting to the island. It was all deserted and a place for fishermen to spread their nets.

But that wasn't the end of Tyre as the prophecy makes. It was rebuilt and visited by Jesus and Paul and exists today. Failed prophecy - where not retrospective history, and Daniel's 'prophecy' is the same. Retrospective history written just before the Maccabean revolt. You can even give the year when the 'prophecy' goes wrong. 260 AD or something. I could look it up.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #58

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:16 am
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:10 pm

That would be the initial fulfillment, in its major fulfillment the tree represents the kings of God's kingdom

No, the stump reference is to Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 2:25-26), and all the metals will be destroyed "at the same time" by the "stone" (Daniel 2:34-35). All the metals and clay have been destroyed once, and yet to have been destroyed "all at the same time" by the "stone".

Daniel 4:25 that you be driven away from mankind and your dwelling place be with the beasts of the field, and you be given grass to eat like cattle and be drenched with the dew of heaven; and seven periods of time will pass over you, until you recognize that the Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind and bestows it on whomever He wishes. 26‘And in that it was commanded to leave the stump with the roots of the tree, your kingdom will be assured to you after you recognize that it is Heaven that rules.

brunumb
Savant

Post #59

Post by brunumb »

When Prophecy Fails
This is a Social and Psychological Study of a Modern Group that Predicted the Destruction of the World.

Festinger, Riecken and Schachter used the study to test their theories on how people might be expected to behave when faced with a specific type of dissonance, arising from a failed prophecy. From historical examples, such as the Montanists, Anabaptists, Sabbateans, Millerites and the beginnings of Christianity, the team had seen that in some cases the failure of a prophecy, rather than causing a rejection of the original belief system, could lead believers to increase their personal commitment, and also increase their efforts to recruit others into the belief.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Prophecy_Fails
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #60

Post by JehovahsWitness »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:52 am
I hardly need say that nobody who is not already a believer is going to see that as anything but self - delusionary.
So you propose that everyone that disagrees with you on this point and believes they have seen the fulfillment of bible prophecy is delusional, gullible and lazy? Ad hominem duly noted.

JW

RELATED POSTS
What is "argumentum ad populum"?
viewtopic.php?p=1048524#p1048524

What is Ad hominem?
viewtopic.php?p=1068290#p1068290

What is circular reasoning [begging the question]?
viewtopic.php?p=1027604#p1027604

What is the fallacy of equivocation [first & last] ?
viewtopic.php?p=1020274#p1020274

What is the fallacy of special pleading ?
viewtopic.php?p=1072425#p1072425

What is the fallacy of the consequent?
viewtopic.php?p=1073114#p1073114

What is the fallacy of "false equivalence"?
viewtopic.php?p=1074577#p1074577

What is the fallacy of composition [true christian]?
viewtopic.php?p=1026784#p1026784
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

LOGIC , FALLACIES and ... EVIDENCE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8