Searching for God

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Searching for God

Post #1

Post by Peds nurse »

Hello, people that I have missed terribly! I hope you are all well!

Jeremiah 29:13-You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

New International Version (NIV)

I have heard from many on here who say that have sought God, but in return the only response was silence. As I was thinking on this, questions came to mind.

Debate: When one seeks God, what are they hoping to find, specifically? In communication with God, what is one expected to see or hear?

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Searching for God

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Peds nurse wrote: Debate: When one seeks God, what are they hoping to find, specifically? In communication with God, what is one expected to see or hear?
My answers are my own, so they aren't exactly debatable. :D

I'm not sure what the Bible claims as answers to these questions. But here are my answers:

When one seeks God, what are they hoping to find, specifically?

The concept of "God" is a concept of a creator right?

Therefore to seek answers to the question of how we came to be and why we are here is the same as seeking "God". Because of this I see scientists as they only true "Seekers of God".

In communication with God, what is one expected to see or hear?

For me the key term here is "communication". So, for me, communication requires a two-way exchange of thoughts, knowledge, or ideas.

If a sentient intelligent supreme being exists, and would like to communicate with me, He, She, or It, should be able to do so in any number of ways. Ancient folklore about gods have had gods speaking to people from burning bushes, through donkeys, from the clouds, and various other means. Therefore if there is any truth to those specific doctrines, God should be able to communicate with us in precisely these same ways.

Finally, let's think about Jeremiah 29:13-You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

I know religious people who have done this with absolutely no results. In fact, I've seen mothers begging this God to help their dying children. And it was clear that these women were begging with the very core of their heart and more, leaving nothing unsurrendered to God. They even offered up their own lives in return for the help their child desperately needed.

And they got nothing in return save for a mortuary bill from the place that had buried their child.

Apparently that's how God "communicates".
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #3

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Peds nurse wrote: Hello, people that I have missed terribly! I hope you are all well!

Jeremiah 29:13-You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

New International Version (NIV)

I have heard from many on here who say that have sought God, but in return the only response was silence. As I was thinking on this, questions came to mind.

Debate: When one seeks God, what are they hoping to find, specifically? In communication with God, what is one expected to see or hear?
When one seeks God
Does one mean Jesus whom Paul and Pauline-Christianity elevated, though fictionally, as God? Jesus never died on the Cross, he later died a natural death. One who dies, he doesn't communicate. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #4

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Divine Insight wrote:
Peds nurse wrote: Debate: When one seeks God, what are they hoping to find, specifically? In communication with God, what is one expected to see or hear?

I'm not sure what the Bible claims as answers to these questions. But here are my answers:

Therefore to seek answers to the question of how we came to be and why we are here is the same as seeking "God". Because of this I see scientists as they only true "Seekers of God".

For me the key term here is "communication". So, for me, communication requires a two-way exchange of thoughts, knowledge, or ideas.

If a sentient intelligent supreme being exists, and would like to communicate with me, He, She, or It, should be able to do so in any number of ways. Ancient folklore about gods have had gods speaking to people from burning bushes, through donkeys, from the clouds, and various other means. Therefore if there is any truth to those specific doctrines, God should be able to communicate with us in precisely these same ways.

Finally, let's think about Jeremiah 29:13-You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

I know religious people who have done this with absolutely no results. In fact, I've seen mothers begging this God to help their dying children. And it was clear that these women were begging with the very core of their heart and more, leaving nothing unsurrendered to God. They even offered up their own lives in return for the help their child desperately needed.

And they got nothing in return save for a mortuary bill from the place that had buried their child.

Does one mean that Pauline-Christianity's fictional Jesus-God has died or never existed in reality, so he cannot communicate, please?

Regards

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #5

Post by JP Cusick »

Peds nurse wrote: Jeremiah 29:13-You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (NIV)
It means with all thy heart, as in complete sincerity, and not lukewarm.

To thy self be true.
Peds nurse wrote: When one seeks God, what are they hoping to find, specifically?
To find a meaning to life - why are we here, what is my purpose, what is the bigger purpose of mankind?
Peds nurse wrote: In communication with God, what is one expected to see or hear?
I want communication of approval from our Father.

If we get correction - then teach me the error - and show me the right way.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:

Does one mean that Pauline-Christianity's fictional Jesus-God has died or never existed in reality, so he cannot communicate, please?

Regards
I was speaking about an imaged creator of humanity.

I have no clue what you think of when you think of "God". Sounds to me like you got caught up in mythologies about egotistical Gods who are jealous of one another. Those would be pretty pathetic Gods if they did exist.
[center]Image
[/center]

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #7

Post by paarsurrey1 »

[Replying to post 6 by Divine Insight]
Divine Insight
I was speaking about an imaged creator of humanity.

I have no clue what you think of when you think of "God". Sounds to me like you got caught up in mythologies about egotistical Gods who are jealous of one another. Those would be pretty pathetic Gods if they did exist.
"imaged creator of humanity"
And what is "imaged creator of humanity",please?
And how did one has clue of its existing? Is it Word of Revelation of a Religion or is it from science, please?

Regards

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #8

Post by OnceConvinced »

Peds nurse wrote:
Whatever God wants me to find, see or hear. Whatever it would be would surely be enough I would think. Presumably he would know exactly what I needed to find, see or hear, to be able to believe and supposedly he loves me, so it seems he would do it, if he were real. We humans are in no position to be able to dictate to God what he should do for us as God knows best, right? Only God knows what is going to convince us.

My questions to you and others here is what would you expect us to find, see or hear?

For me personally, as you are probably aware, when I began to lose my faith I begged and begged God to help me regain that faith. I begged that he would help me to believe again and it was completely open to him as to how, because I had no clue what would work. I shed a lot of tears as I saw my world collapse around me. What do you expect I personally should have found, seen or heard?

We get a lot of Christians on here often telling us what we should find, see or hear, but it seems they are wrong.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

paarsurrey1 wrote: And what is "imaged creator of humanity",please?
And how did one has clue of its existing? Is it Word of Revelation of a Religion or is it from science, please?

Regards
The term God typically means "Creator of the world".

So thus far, scientists have been the only people who are truly seeking God.

If a person seeks a God via a religious mythology the only thing they are likely to find is a myth. So if you are interested in seeking the true creator of the world become a scientist. After all, if a creator God exists the only book we can be absolutely certain that God wrote is called "The Universe". So only those who study the universe are reading "God's Book". Everyone else is reading ancient man-made myths.
[center]Image
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #10

Post by Divine Insight »

Hide and Seek with God
by Divine Insight

When we're seeking God
we're hoping that we'll find
the answers to the universe
and the mysteries of mind

We can't be seeking solace
if we claim we're seeking God
for if we were, we must concur
that we would be a fraud

We can't be seeking morals
to live a life of grace
for that would also lead us
to a motive of disgrace

We can't be seeking afterlife
that's extraordinarily sweet
for that as well, would surely tell
the tale of our deceit

We can't be seeking love
that makes us feel adored
for if we did, we'd show our id
and once again be floored

The only true incentive
to seek to know a God
is to learn of all the secrets
that have caused us to be awed

And when we learn his secrets
and our curiosity had died
we'll finally understand
why he plays this seek and hide

:D
[center]Image
[/center]