which came first

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

show don't tell

which came first

Post #1

Post by show don't tell »

Im new to this board but have always loved debating people on this topic. The one question that has never been answered to my satifaction is which came first the chicken or the egg? If this been addressed please point me to the link.
Thank you

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

The chicken came first. An egg cannot hatch without a chicken.

But I don't see how this question relates to C vs E.

show don't tell

Post #3

I know the chicken came first. If you believe in creationism. But if you believe in evolution how do you explain which came first? as you said the chicken came first! but the chicken came from an egg!! and again which came first? I know this seems such a small detail in the big scheme of things, what with all the micro and macro evolution points to be made. But when you get right down to it, if you can't answer what seems to be such a simple question with a logical answer then, then the question of creationism VS evolution has been answered. Creationism is the only explanation for that question. Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Corvus
Guru

Post #4

Post by Corvus »

Protozoa.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

show don't tell

Post #5

Definition: \Pro`to*zo"a\, n. pl. [NL., fr. Gr. ? first + ? an
animal.] (Zo["o]l.)
The lowest of the grand divisions of the animal kingdom.

Note: The entire animal consists of a single cell which is
variously modified; but in many species a number of
these simple zooids are united together so as to form a
compound body or organism, as in the Foraminifera and
Vorticell[ae]. The reproduction takes place by fission,
or by the breaking up of the contents of the body after
encystment, each portion becoming a distinct animal, or
1. in other ways, but never by true eggs. The principal
divisions are Rhizopoda, Gregarin[ae], and Infusoria.
See also {Foraminifera}, {Heliozoa}, {Protoplasta},
{Radiolaria}, {Flagellata}, {Ciliata}.

This the your answer?
I don't think so see line #1

Abs like J'
Student

Post #6

Post by Abs like J' »

From show don't tell:
...if you can't answer what seems to be such a simple question with a logical answer then, then the question of creationism VS evolution has been answered. Creationism is the only explanation for that question...
Evolution actually does offer an answer by recognizing evolution in the genetic mutations of DNA. With the DNA mutations happening during the zygotic stage of reproduction, chickens would have arisen by way of the egg first.
"Art, music, and philosophy are merely poignant examples of what we might have been had not the priests and traders gotten hold of us."
— George Carlin

Corvus
Guru

Post #7

Post by Corvus »

Someone missed the humour in my post.
show don't tell wrote: This the your answer?
I don't think so see line #1
What? What's the problem with that answer? Before being a chicken, the chicken was another animal. And before that, it was another animal. And before that.. well, you get the point, up until it when it was a protozoa. The egg bearing what we classify as a chicken would have come first.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

For evolutionists, the egg came first. Through some sort of genetic mutation, the parents produced a completely different animal called a chicken (in the form of an egg). Somehow, also the parents would've known how to raise a chicken, in addition to raising it's own offspring. Furthermore, it would have not only raised one chicken, but at least one male and one female.

Abs like J'
Student

Post #9

Post by Abs like J' »

When referring to the origin of new species, we aren't talking about such leaps as a gecko or robin giving birth to a chicken -- thus leading to the apparent absurdity of one animal species mysteriously having the knowledge to raise another. When people attempt to paint evolution in this way -- more commonly depicted it seems as a monkey giving birth to a human being -- they are mischaracterizing evolution.

Rather than there being one, monumental genetic change leading a known species to give birth to an entirely new species, a population of one species could become separated with one continuing to evolve to such a point that years later the offspring would be a separate species from the other group. The evolution from A to B would be the result of gradual accumulations of genetic changes for the population and would be imperceptible enough from one generation to the next that such problematic scenarios as previously painted would not exist.
"Art, music, and philosophy are merely poignant examples of what we might have been had not the priests and traders gotten hold of us."
— George Carlin

Rancid Uncle
Student

Post #10

Post by Rancid Uncle »

Chickens don't just appear out of nowhere. If God can make a chicken just appear out of nowhere why even bother explaining anything scientifically. God's magic can account for anything regardless of its scientific merit. The space shuttle is made of lemonaid? Sure, God can do that and fool us into thinking it isn't.
What could have happened is a population of proto-chickens could have been reproductively isolated and evolved into more modern chickens or an environmental change could have made a more chicken-like mutation very valuable.