Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Christian, but a Muslim

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Christian, but a Muslim

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Christian, but a Muslim. Wasn't he, please?

There is no intention to injure anybody's religious sentiments, please.

Regards

viewtopic.php?p=893914#893914

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Christian, but a Muslim

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Christian, but a Muslim. Wasn't he, please?

There is no intention to injure anybody's religious sentiments, please.

Regards

viewtopic.php?p=893914#893914
Jews claim him, as do Christians and Muslims alike. Yes, if one defines "Muslim" as one who submits to God, then yes, Abraham was a Muslim.

But in the more formal, religious sense, was anyone before Mohammad actually a "Muslim"?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

phlegmnoire
Student

Post #3

Post by phlegmnoire »

[Replying to post 2 by Elijah John]

Continuing along the lines of looser definitions, one could argue that God's "chosen people" were originally the Hebrews (Deu 7:6), only later known as Jews taken from the name of the tribe of Judah. That legitimizes the Christian and Jewish claims on Abraham as much as Muslim claims already mentioned here.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #4

Post by paarsurrey1 »

phlegmnoire wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Elijah John]

Continuing along the lines of looser definitions, one could argue that God's "chosen people" were originally the Hebrews (Deu 7:6), only later known as Jews taken from the name of the tribe of Judah. That legitimizes the Christian and Jewish claims on Abraham as much as Muslim claims already mentioned here.
There is no race/color/ethnicity that is chosen by One-True-God and if chosen, for what,please?
One-True-God chooses righteous and charitable persons, from among the wicked people when they are misguided, with a Message from Him and these persons are His messengers/prophets:

[2:125] And remember when his Lord tried Abraham with certain commands which he fulfilled. He said, ‘I will make thee a Leader of men.’ Abraham asked, ‘And from among my offspring?’ He said, ‘My covenant does not embrace the transgressors.’
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... &verse=124

If a race or people become wrongdoers and wicked they are out of the covenant. Right, please?

Regards

phlegmnoire
Student

Post #5

Post by phlegmnoire »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
phlegmnoire wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Elijah John]

There is no race/color/ethnicity that is chosen by One-True-God and if chosen, for what,please?
One-True-God chooses righteous and charitable persons, from among the wicked people when they are misguided, with a Message from Him and these persons are His messengers/prophets:

[2:125] And remember when his Lord tried Abraham with certain commands which he fulfilled. He said, ‘I will make thee a Leader of men.’ Abraham asked, ‘And from among my offspring?’ He said, ‘My covenant does not embrace the transgressors.’
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... &verse=124

If a race or people become wrongdoers and wicked they are out of the covenant. Right, please?

Regards
Why should we conclude in the first place that there is one "true" God, or any number of true gods for that matter? Once we have reason to believe that there are one or more true gods, how can we know what they would choose?

(I'm assuming here that by "true" God, you are distinguishing between a God that exists and gods who are figments of the human imagination - please correct me if that's not what you meant)

If one happens to accept what's written in Deuteronomy 7:6-8 as an indicator of who God chose and for what reason, then he chose the Hebrews because he "loved [them] and kept the oath he swore to [their] ancestors"

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #6

Post by brianbbs67 »

Abraham the Hebrew is how he was called. Hebrew and Jew are a little different. Muslim did not exist in Abraham's time(nor in Mohammed's). So, not a valid question, now.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

brianbbs67 wrote: Abraham the Hebrew is how he was called. Hebrew and Jew are a little different. Muslim did not exist in Abraham's time(nor in Mohammed's). So, not a valid question, now.

Yes, this is so. Islam means submission, possibly in reference to those forced to submit to Muhammad's forces but possibly, also, in reference to people who bow submissively before Allah five times a day. Abraham submitted to Yahweh's wicked command and so followed "Islam". I wonder if Cain would be called a Muslim.

Muhammad annexed Christian and Jewish Scripture so in a way Adam was a Muslim, according to Muhammad. The very idea that one can change the past to accord with the present is the sign of an aggressive system.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #8

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 7 by marco]

By the definition presented by the OP's quote, yes. But, the moniker Muslim means a much different thing today. Hebrew is how Tanakh calls him.

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

brianbbs67 wrote: [Replying to post 7 by marco]

By the definition presented by the OP's quote, yes. But, the moniker Muslim means a much different thing today. Hebrew is how Tanakh calls him.

Well in reality it is absurd to label Abraham a Muslim. He could not be Shia or Sunni since he had no knowledge of Fatima or Ali or Abu Bakr. Nor had he read Muhammad's book.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #10

Post by brianbbs67 »

marco wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: [Replying to post 7 by marco]

Well in reality it is absurd to label Abraham a Muslim. He could not be Shia or Sunni since he had no knowledge of Fatima or Ali or Abu Bakr. Nor had he read Muhammad's book.
That is truth.