If Evangelicals had their way,

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

If Evangelicals had their way,

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

If Evangelicals had their way and America became a theocracy, would the social safety net disappear?

I realize this OP calls for speculation, but by all means, please speculate. ;)
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Re: If Evangelicals had their way,

Post #2

Post by imhereforyou »

Elijah John wrote: If Evangelicals had their way and America became a theocracy, would the social safety net disappear?

Apologies if I missed it - what's the social safety net as presented here

historia
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by historia »

Elijah John wrote:
If Evangelicals had their way and America became a theocracy
I think this premise is flawed. Do you really imagine that most American Evangelicals want a theocracy? What evidence supports that assertion?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

historia wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
If Evangelicals had their way and America became a theocracy
I think this premise is flawed. Do you really imagine that most American Evangelicals want a theocracy? What evidence supports that assertion?
I agree. Sounds to me like the term "Evangelicals" is being used to imply some specific stereotype in the OP. A stereotype that may not fit the term.

I was a Free Methodist growing up. I'm pretty sure that many of them considered themselves to be "evangelists". Yet they weren't the type to push for a theocracy.

They also stood behind the teaching of Jesus that it is our duty to feed and care for the poor. So they would be in total support of social services, social security, and even welfare. I can't imagine why anyone would think that they wouldn't be in support of social safety nets.

I'm thinking that the author of the OP is somehow confusing the term "evangelical" with certain TV evangelists. Many of those "evangelists" do tend to preach fire and brimstone and teachings that are alien to the teachings of Jesus. But those people don't constitute all "evangelicals" by far.

I looked up evangelical on Google, I got the following definition:

Evangelical - of or according to the teaching of the gospel or the Christian religion.

If that's the meaning of Evangelical, then most TV preachers aren't evangelists because they aren't teaching the teachings of the gospels.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

@ Historia and Divine Insight. I mean Evangelicals like Judge Roy Moore, and the people who support him. Also, Evangelicals as presented on TBN who cheer on preachers who advocate the elimination or the reduction of the safety net, in favor of "letting the church handle it". No (or extremely low) taxes, only tithes to care for the poor and those in need.

Do they really think the Church could handle Medicare, Medicaid, Unemployment, SSI, SSDI and other social programs? I, for one, doubt it. Not if they want to retain their personal fortunes. Even then.

Granted, they may not be entirely representative of Evangelicals at large, but they are certainly the loudest.

-YHVH is LORD

bluethread
Savant

Post #6

Post by bluethread »

Elijah John wrote: @ Historia and Divine Insight. I mean Evangelicals like Judge Roy Moore, and the people who support him. Also, Evangelicals as presented on TBN who cheer on preachers who advocate the elimination or the reduction of the safety net, in favor of "letting the church handle it". No (or extremely low) taxes, only tithes to care for the poor and those in need.
It appears that you are confusing fundamentalism with evangelicalism. Though I don't fully support "fundamental" Christian doctrine, a tenth of all personal income in 2016 was $1.6 trillion.
Do they really think the Church could handle Medicare, Medicaid, Unemployment, SSI, SSDI and other social programs? I, for one, doubt it. Not if they want to retain their personal fortunes. Even then.

Granted, they may not be entirely representative of Evangelicals at large, but they are certainly the loudest.
So, you want to lay this all at the feet of evangelical fundamentalist Christians? Maybe, the secular humanists could take care of their own. Also, this is not talking about a theocracy, but a localist confederation. They are not asking for authority to [strike]steal[/strike] take money from anyone else, as the federal government does.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #7

Post by Elijah John »

bluethread wrote:
Elijah John wrote: @ Historia and Divine Insight. I mean Evangelicals like Judge Roy Moore, and the people who support him. Also, Evangelicals as presented on TBN who cheer on preachers who advocate the elimination or the reduction of the safety net, in favor of "letting the church handle it". No (or extremely low) taxes, only tithes to care for the poor and those in need.
It appears that you are confusing fundamentalism with evangelicalism. Though I don't fully support "fundamental" Christian doctrine, a tenth of all personal income in 2016 was $1.6 trillion.

So, you want to lay this all at the feet of evangelical fundamentalist Christians? Maybe, the secular humanists could take care of their own. Also, this is not talking about a theocracy, but a localist confederation. They are not asking for authority to [strike]steal[/strike] take money from anyone else, as the federal government does.
Did I ever say that Evangelical Fundamentalists are the only people who should be taxed?

Should those particular Evangelicals who decry taxation for the sustenance of the social safety net be exempt from the obligations of citizenship in the particular country in which they reside? In this case, the USA? The system benefits all in need, Evangelical, Atheists, RC, JWs etc, etc.

Perhaps if they want an exemption, they should found their own theocracy, and buy their own island. Or if they can afford it, their own continent. ;)

And who exactly did Jesus say would inherit the earth? And/or the Kingdom of Heaven?

Seems Jesus sided with the poor and the meek, not the rich and domineering.

"Prosperity Gospel" minded Evangelicals are attempting to hijack Jesus and distorting his message, it seems to me. They are giving Christianity a bad name, at least those who begrudge helping the down and out. It comes across as mean-spirited. Not a good witness.

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #8

Post by Elijah John »

imhereforyou wrote:
Elijah John wrote: If Evangelicals had their way and America became a theocracy, would the social safety net disappear?

Social Security, Disability, Unemployment Compensation, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.etc.

-YHVH is LORD

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #9

Post by imhereforyou »

Elijah John wrote:
imhereforyou wrote:

Social Security, Disability, Unemployment Compensation, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.etc.
A good question. Has any answer been provided yet?