Willum
Savant

Why are some immune to miracles?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

This is a very neat reply by JP:
JP Cusick wrote:
Willum wrote: Yet another way to look at it is:

If Jesus arrived today, as he allegedly did 2000 years ago, would anyone believe him? Would you believe him?
Put yourself in your own shoes.
Some migrant/refugee claims she had a virgin birth, several years after the conception event took place.
The father only knows he is not the father.

Claims of healing that have less aplomb than evangelistic roadshows.
He gets tortured somewhere and comes back from the dead, according to some source.
Assume this is recorded.

Do you believe it?

Why do you believe it out of a Book written 300 years after the fact?
This is one of the big miracles, because the Gospel accounts do stand the test of time.

Many other beliefs and religions and philosophies have come and gone - yet this one about Jesus Christ remains and endures.

It is even arguable that this same Jesus of 2000 years ago is indeed the most powerful person in the entire world now into the 21st century.
The Gospels certainly do stand the test of time, despite their flaws.
Is there a miracle at work allowing many to believe what, to the plainly logical mind, is preposterous? Why are some of us immune to this miracle, or capable of changing our minds?

Or are those of us skeptics, just definitely not part of the chosen (some of us gratefully)?

JP Cusick
Guru

Re: Why are some immune to miracles?

Post #31

Post by JP Cusick »

Willum wrote:
JP Cusick wrote: It is even arguable that this same Jesus of 2000 years ago is indeed the most powerful person in the entire world now into the 21st century.
I see this as possibly the most compelling miracle of them all - that still today Jesus is the most powerful person in the world.

It is arguable that President Putin is the most powerful person on earth today as the leader of that most powerful Country, but even Putin will never challenge Jesus Christ who rules supreme.

Only Jesus Christ can command the people from every corner of the planet, and no worldly leader can ever match that.

Of course the religion of Islam and Muhammad is super powerful too, but Muhammad and Jesus are like two brothers who align with each other.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

Willum
Savant

Post #32

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 31 by JP Cusick]

Hmm. interesting, what does Jesus do that is so powerful?
What does he do that can't be compared to Superman?
To Mao? (Another false God.)

Etc.?
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #33

Post by JP Cusick »

Willum wrote: Hmm. interesting, what does Jesus do that is so powerful?
What does he do that can't be compared to Superman?
To Mao? (Another false God.)

Etc.?
Superman and Mao and other people do have power and some people have lots of real power, but no person has the fantastic and overwhelming super power that Jesus Christ can generate.

Just speaking the name alone has inherent power.

And it is not what Jesus does - it is what Jesus did.
SIGNATURE:

Willum
Savant

Post #34

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 33 by JP Cusick]

I am sorry, I am unaware of this power you speak of...
What is it?

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #35

Post by JP Cusick »

Willum wrote: I am sorry, I am unaware of this power you speak of...
What is it?
It says a lot when a person says that they do not know about the power.

So Jesus gives the power to change lives, and Jesus gives the power to people to change the entire world, and it is up to each person as to how effectively they access the power.
SIGNATURE:

Willum
Savant

Post #36

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 35 by JP Cusick]

I am unaware that I needed, what to me would be an imaginary friend, to do that.
Lots of us do that without Jesus.

I mean it is a good psychological approach, but the strong don't need the illusion to make change.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #37

Post by JP Cusick »

Willum wrote: I am unaware that I needed, what to me would be an imaginary friend, to do that.
Lots of us do that without Jesus.

I mean it is a good psychological approach, but the strong don't need the illusion to make change.
I agree that it can be done by God and by other religions and other faiths, and yes even a determined Atheist can do many accomplishments.

My point was just that Jesus is the most powerful.
SIGNATURE:

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #38

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
Is there a miracle at work allowing many to believe what, to the plainly logical mind, is preposterous?
Religion, politics, and love.
Why are some of us immune to this miracle, or capable of changing our minds?
^ I change "capable" to incapable...

I reject the notion folks can't change their minds. What I do reject is the notion we oughta change us our minds when folks spout claims they can't show to be truth. If your argument's that some sky-pilot up there gives him a half-a-tinker's-dang about our goings on, well you got you a problem of the not being able to show you're you a truth teller.

I refuse to accept that my rejection of improvable, unprovable, self-serving claims are the result of a god you can't neither show him to exist, nor to have him the opinion you declare he does.

I propose the greatest miracle mankind will ever experience, is when the theist can show he speaks truth.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #39

Post by JP Cusick »

JP Cusick wrote: My point was just that Jesus is the most powerful.
Just to clarify - because most people (I suspect) would see God (Father God) as the most powerful, but we can not really access God and we need that mediator who shows us the way to the Father.

It is as in we want to go higher - then we need a ladder to get up there.

See 1 Timothy 2:5-6
SIGNATURE:

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #40

Post by Kenisaw »

JP Cusick wrote:
Willum wrote: The Gospels certainly do stand the test of time, despite their flaws.
Is there a miracle at work allowing many to believe what, to the plainly logical mind, is preposterous? Why are some of us immune to this miracle, or capable of changing our minds?

Or are those of us skeptics, just definitely not part of the chosen (some of us gratefully)?
The scriptures are here as a witness and a testimony so no person will ever say that they were not told.

No one can play stupid as if they did not know - because the scriptures are there as a witness and a testimony that the information was given and it is available to every person.

And to study the scriptures properly then we are to reject the preposterous and we are to seek the truth.

No person is immune to any of it.
Neither are the people that are shown the billions of facts that support the theory of evolution, JP...