Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Bible verses Pope. Who is wrong?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Is the Bible or the Pope in error here?

Romans 3:23 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
" since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God"

OR

Ineffabilis Deus
Apostolic Constitution of Pope Pius IX on the Immaculate Conception (December 8, 1854)
“Therefore, far above all the angels and all the saints so wondrously did God endow her with the abundance of all heavenly gifts poured from the treasury of his divinity that this mother, ever absolutely free of all stain of sin, all fair and perfect, would possess that fullness of holy innocence and sanctity than which, under God, one cannot even imagine anything greater, and which, outside of God, no mind can succeed in comprehending fully.�

brianbbs67
Guru

Re: Bible verses Pope. Who is wrong?

Post #61

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 60 by marco]

Yes, I wandered. Just tried to add levity. I promise this will only happen once a month. Thanks for the indulgence. :)

Claire Evans
Guru

Post #62

Post by Claire Evans »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 1 by polonius.advice]

That looks clear cut to me. I wonder why there was ever thought to be a need to venerate Mary?
Because "veneration of Mary' is a cover up for ISIS worship.

marco
Savant

Post #63

Post by marco »

Claire Evans wrote:
Or perhaps it was a return to serving Aphrodite. Both these suggestions are absurd given that the focus of Catholicism through the centuries has been on the guidance of Christ and his teaching. As with other religions we can quibble between what is intended and what is done but honouring holy individuals who served the ways of Jesus has nothing to do with Isis or - worse still - ISIS.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #64

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to marco]
Or perhaps it was a return to serving Aphrodite.
I don’t know any Catholic who serves Mary. When we meditate on the life of Mary, or when we talk to her, or ask her for her help (as I would ask any good friend and certainly my mother), she always brings us to Christ as we hear her words, “Do whatever He tells you.� Mary demonstrated her love and obedience for God throughout her life, “Let it be done until me according to thy word�

One of the 10 commandments is to honor thy mother and father. Clearly, Jesus honored His own mother. So when we do the same, we aren’t doing anything Christ didn’t already beat us to. It isn’t a pagan act, or actions to hide terrorism, or whatever other anti-Catholic bigotry false prophets have claimed over the centuries – to show love, respect, and honor toward Mary is simply human. But if someone is bothered about our natural tendency to love Jesus’ mother, it would be my pleasure to also discuss why we should, based on Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition.

marco
Savant

Post #65

Post by marco »

RightReason wrote:
Or perhaps it was a return to serving Aphrodite.
I don’t know any Catholic who serves Mary.
I don't know why I am being told this. You have possibly thought that I was seriously suggesting that honouring Mary was a return to serving Aphrodite. Had you read the remainder of the post, I was opposing the idea that the honour given to Mary, hyperdulia, had anything to do with Isis. I know the catechism .... though maybe not as perfectly as your special adviser, (Peace Be Upon Him) GK.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #66

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 65 by marco]

I don't know why I am being told this. You have possibly thought that I was seriously suggesting that honouring Mary was a return to serving Aphrodite. Had you read the remainder of the post,
I read your whole post – I always do. And yes, I saw your defense of the Church as not honoring Mary in any sort of ties to Isis, and I appreciate that, however, I see your response, that you see Catholics honoring Mary along the same lines as the pagans serving Aphrodite as incorrect as well. Pagan’s worshipped Aphrodite because they believed her to be a goddess. Catholics do not believe Mary is a goddess or on the equal level of God.

marco
Savant

Post #67

Post by marco »

RightReason wrote:

I read your whole post – I always do. And yes, I saw your defense of the Church as not honoring Mary in any sort of ties to Isis, and I appreciate that, however, I see your response, that you see Catholics honoring Mary along the same lines as the pagans serving Aphrodite as incorrect as well. Pagan’s worshipped Aphrodite because they believed her to be a goddess. Catholics do not believe Mary is a goddess or on the equal level of God.

Dear Right Reason, if I am to be sanctioned for heresy, please let it be for something that I heretically said.

I replied IRONICALLY to this suggestion

" Because "veneration of Mary' is a cover up for ISIS worship "

with

"Or perhaps it was a return to serving Aphrodite"

thinking the two statements were equally absurd. Thank goodness - phew - the Inquisition isn't still in operation or I'd be burning now. I will probably make statements in future with which you and GK enthusiastically disagree, but hold your disapproving horses till then. Go well.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #68

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 67 by marco]
Dear Right Reason, if I am to be sanctioned for heresy, please let it be for something that I heretically said.

I replied IRONICALLY to this suggestion

" Because "veneration of Mary' is a cover up for ISIS worship "

with

"Or perhaps it was a return to serving Aphrodite"

thinking the two statements were equally absurd. Thank goodness - phew - the Inquisition isn't still in operation or I'd be burning now. I will probably make statements in future with which you and GK enthusiastically disagree, but hold your disapproving horses till then. Go well.
Oh, ok, got it now – sorry! Being misunderstood stinks, doesn't it? See the inherent problem that can come from interpreting others? The order and wording of your comment made it seem like it was a theory you were throwing out there. And you have to admit it is not uncommon for non believers to compare Christianity to mythology or pagan rituals. Taking those factors together, I missed the point you intended. I wasn’t exactly ready to burn you at the stake though – was just making a friendly fraternal correction. None the less, mea culpa, mea culpa . . .

marco
Savant

Post #69

Post by marco »

RightReason wrote:
None the less, mea culpa, mea culpa . . .

Tua maxima culpa, sed te absolvo - go and sin no more.

I shall take it as a punishment for employing irony.

Go well

Claire Evans
Guru

Post #70

Post by Claire Evans »

marco wrote:
Claire Evans wrote:
Or perhaps it was a return to serving Aphrodite. Both these suggestions are absurd given that the focus of Catholicism through the centuries has been on the guidance of Christ and his teaching. As with other religions we can quibble between what is intended and what is done but honouring holy individuals who served the ways of Jesus has nothing to do with Isis or - worse still - ISIS.

But what the Vatican really believe and conventional Christianity is not tantamount to each other. You know that people can pretend to stand for something just to further their agenda. The early Catholic Church incorporated paganism into the church to lure pagan converts. Nothing has changed.