Why do fertility drugs work?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

Why do fertility drugs work?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

I hope I haven't already done a thread on this topic, but forgive me if I have.

The bible teaches us that every life is planned by God and that we are all knitted together in our mother's womb. (Psalm 139:13)

It also tells us that babies are a gift/blessing from God.' (Psalm 127:3)

If the above verses are true then how is it that fertility drugs can possibly work?

Why would God bless them with a child when they were clearly trying to work around his system?

People sometimes end up with multiple births when using these drugs and they can get multiple blessings. Surely this should never happen if the bible is correct?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

On the same subject:

Why would this God bless abusive parents with a child?

Why would this God allow any woman to become pregnant that had been raped?

Why does this God provide drug addicts with babies that will be born addicted to the drug?

Going back to Biblical times: Why would this God have blessed evil sinful women with babies when he knew he was going to drown them out?

So this problem runs quite deep. :D

~~~~~~

Edited to Add:

Why does this God bless the men of ISIS with children by placing new born babies in the wombs of the innocent women the men of ISIS had captured and forced to be their wives?

I'm sure this list goes on and on and on.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

imhereforyou
Scholar

Re: Why do fertility drugs work?

Post #3

Post by imhereforyou »

OnceConvinced wrote: I hope I haven't already done a thread on this topic, but forgive me if I have.

The bible teaches us that every life is planned by God and that we are all knitted together in our mother's womb. (Psalm 139:13)

It also tells us that babies are a gift/blessing from God.' (Psalm 127:3)

If the above verses are true then how is it that fertility drugs can possibly work?

Why would God bless them with a child when they were clearly trying to work around his system?

People sometimes end up with multiple births when using these drugs and they can get multiple blessings. Surely this should never happen if the bible is correct?
Depends on how you read and interpret the bible as well as put it into practice.
If one's clever enough they might be able to come out with biblical proof of a spaghetti monster.

But the same question has likely been asked throughout early medical history if doctors and medical healers are 'going against God' only to, eventually, be met with 'they're doing God's work' (why God can't solve these medical maladies himself is perplexing and illogical but hey - whatever works to justify one's own belief, huh?)

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

imhereforyou wrote:
But the same question has likely been asked throughout early medical history if doctors and medical healers are 'going against God' only to, eventually, be met with 'they're doing God's work' (why God can't solve these medical maladies himself is perplexing and illogical but hey - whatever works to justify one's own belief, huh?)
Well lets say you had an atheist couple, if they were wanting to have a baby, they would not be doing God's work by taking fertility drugs. Hard to believe that God would bless atheists with a baby, unless of course atheists aren't such bad people.

Perhaps atheists are a bad example. Let's say two witches want to have a baby and they use fertility drugs. They end up with sextuplets. Why would God endow them with such blessings even though they worship a foreign god?

I can perhaps buy the possibility that God is such a wonderful God he might decide to let witches have some children. But multiple babies in one go? I'm sure there are Christians out there who would love God to bless them with that many in one go.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

OnceConvinced wrote: I hope I haven't already done a thread on this topic, but forgive me if I have.

I don't accept the premise because I do not interpret this scripture in the same way.

My interpretation is that once conceived (ie once an egg is fertilized by a sperm) that the developing foetus (which in its dna carries all the information as to the characteristics of the developing child) is known to God. Rather like he saw the mixture he knows what the cake will be like, rather than he has preordained all the cakes that will ever be baked.
OnceConvinced wrote:It also tells us that babies are a gift/blessing from God.' (Psalm 127:3)
The bible also says that "every good and perfect gift is from above" including food but that doesn't mean that diets cannot possibly work. In other words I interpret the verse to mean that God (Jehovah) is the ultimate SOURCE of all the good things, not that the existence of individual gifts were preordained. In other words we can only have children because God gives us life and the gift of procreation
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

OnceConvinced wrote:The bible teaches us that every life is planned by God and that we are all knitted together in our mother's womb. (Psalm 139:13)
It is what David says about himself. It is not necessary about all people. And even if we would think it is about all people, it can mean that when God made the first DNA, He knit human together.
OnceConvinced wrote:It also tells us that babies are a gift/blessing from God.' (Psalm 127:3)
That can be true, even if there is fertility drugs involved.
OnceConvinced wrote:If the above verses are true then how is it that fertility drugs can possibly work?
Do they really work, or does it just seem like that?
OnceConvinced wrote:Why would God bless them with a child when they were clearly trying to work around his system?

I don’t see any reason to think they were trying to work around His system.
OnceConvinced wrote:People sometimes end up with multiple births when using these drugs and they can get multiple blessings. Surely this should never happen if the bible is correct?
I don’t see why it should not happen. It may have been God’s plan all along.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

1213 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:The bible teaches us that every life is planned by God and that we are all knitted together in our mother's womb. (Psalm 139:13)
It is what David says about himself. It is not necessary about all people. And even if we would think it is about all people, it can mean that when God made the first DNA, He knit human together.
Most of the scripture in bible is spoken or written to either individuals or groups of people. All of Paul's letters, for instance, were aimed at specific churches. Jesus words were directed at the disciples and people he was with at the time. If we are to flag one scripture away as not being relevant to us, then we should flag the majority of the bible away as not being relevant to us.

1213 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:If the above verses are true then how is it that fertility drugs can possibly work?
Do they really work, or does it just seem like that?
If you do some research you will find that many people who gave birth to large numbers of babies at once had used fertility drugs. Do you want to say that's a coincidence?

1213 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:Why would God bless them with a child when they were clearly trying to work around his system?

I don’t see any reason to think they were trying to work around His system.
If every life is planned by God, then indeed they are attempting to work around the system. They are attempting to bring about conception via artificial means. If God had no intention of allowing them to get pregnant the normal way, why would he suddenly bless them when they attempted to bi-pass the normal way?

1213 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:People sometimes end up with multiple births when using these drugs and they can get multiple blessings. Surely this should never happen if the bible is correct?
I don’t see why it should not happen. It may have been God’s plan all along.
Why would God ever need them to take fertility drugs? He was able to impregnate a virgin. Surely he can say "abracadabra" and have someone struggling to get pregnant, get pregnant. He did it with Abraham's wife.

Abraham had to wait for years to get his kid. The bible teaches that as the epitome of faith because of it. If he had used fertility drugs back then, would he be held up as the role model of faith? Would God had blessed him with a child earlier?

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

OnceConvinced wrote:Most of the scripture in bible is spoken or written to either individuals or groups of people. All of Paul's letters, for instance, were aimed at specific churches. Jesus words were directed at the disciples and people he was with at the time. If we are to flag one scripture away as not being relevant to us, then we should flag the majority of the bible away as not being relevant to us.
I don’t mean it is not relevant. However, in case of what David says about himself, it is not necessary about all people. As in some other cases, the words are not necessary about all people. I think it is clear in the Bible, when it is for all people, or for disciples of Jesus (Christian means disciple of Jesus in the Bible).
OnceConvinced wrote:If you do some research you will find that many people who gave birth to large numbers of babies at once had used fertility drugs. Do you want to say that's a coincidence?
It can easily be coincidence. Reason why it happens, may be that person believes and wants enough, and then it looks like the drug had something to do with it. (And by the way, if one can believe that all species have developed by coincidence, I think it is ridiculous not to believe that fertility coincidence).
OnceConvinced wrote:If every life is planned by God, then indeed they are attempting to work around the system. They are attempting to bring about conception via artificial means. If God had no intention of allowing them to get pregnant the normal way, why would he suddenly bless them when they attempted to bi-pass the normal way?
It may be that God wants it to go that way. If there is difficulty to get a baby, person appreciates it more and it can be good therefore.
OnceConvinced wrote:Why would God ever need them to take fertility drugs?
I don’t think God needs that.
But isn’t it true that fertility drugs don’t work always? Why do you think it is so? If they are really working, shouldn’t they working always?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 5 by JehovahsWitness]
My interpretation is that once conceived (ie once an egg is fertilized by a sperm) that the developing foetus (which in its dna carries all the information as to the characteristics of the developing child) is known to God. Rather like he saw the mixture he knows what the cake will be like, rather than he has preordained all the cakes that will ever be baked.
Strange isn't it? That's God's omniscience (taken from https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102005167 )
GOD is fittingly described as omnipotent and omniscient—almighty and all-knowing.
God is indeed omnipotent, and he is omniscient in the sense that nothing can be hidden from him.

doesn't activate, if I can use the term, until the quote unquote ingredients are mixed together. No, apparently, before the ingredients are mixed together, he...what? Has no knowledge of the cake or in this case, human?

I'd like to ask why is it that theists who argue that there is in fact an all knowing God, when questioned about it, place limits on this God's knowledge?
Are these theists like an ISP, who advertise unlimited broadband, and then, in their fine print, then put a number?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #10

Post by OnceConvinced »

1213 wrote:
It can easily be coincidence. Reason why it happens, may be that person believes and wants enough, and then it looks like the drug had something to do with it.
I have never heard of the power of positive thinking resulting in the conception of babies. How would that work scientifically? If it were possible, Abraham would have got his wife pregnant a lot sooner.

I could believe that conception was a coincidence if it was just one baby that was conceived. Not when its multiple births though.
1213 wrote: And by the way, if one can believe that all species have developed by coincidence, I think it is ridiculous not to believe that fertility coincidence
Who would believe something as absurd as species developing by coincidence? I know of know believer in evolution that thinks that. I think you have a giant misunderstanding of evolution there.

When I look at evolution I see an inevitable outcome, not coincidence. Much like if you take fertility drugs, the inevitable outcome is that you will have a greater chance of multiple births at once.
1213 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:If every life is planned by God, then indeed they are attempting to work around the system. They are attempting to bring about conception via artificial means. If God had no intention of allowing them to get pregnant the normal way, why would he suddenly bless them when they attempted to bi-pass the normal way?
It may be that God wants it to go that way.
Why would he when he can just say Abracadabra and have them fertile?
1213 wrote: If there is difficulty to get a baby, person appreciates it more and it can be good therefore.
I've known infertile people. My current partner is one of them. Having to take fertility treatment was an extremely frustrating and long winded process. IN the end she was only able to have one child. If God had waved a magic wand and made her fertile, rather than having to go through all that nonsense, she would have been a lot happier and maybe even had more kids. She may have even developed faith in God as a result of it. Instead she had to settle for only one child.
1213 wrote: I don’t think God needs that.
But isn’t it true that fertility drugs don’t work always?
How is that relevant to the discussion?
1213 wrote: Why do you think it is so? If they are really working, shouldn’t they working always?
Just like any drug, it's not a guaranteed solution. However a god performing magic should be guaranteed.

BTW, so far your argument has not addressed the question of why God would bless anyone with multiple births when they didn't have the faith or the patience to wait for God's timing. Bear in mind many people that use these drugs are not believers in God. So why would God bless those people? If it was to have them gain faith in God, it certainly didn't work for my partner. In fact all it showed her was that if you wanted something done, you took action yourself, and waiting on a god to do something was a complete waste of time.