Does omnipotence imply effortlessness?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Bust Nak
Savant

Does omnipotence imply effortlessness?

Post #1

Post by Bust Nak »

Why would an omnipotent God rest after working for 6 literal or figurative days? Did creation require 6 "days" worth of effort? If God creates mulitple universes for weeks on end without rest, would he suffer? Would the quality of further creation suffer due to lack of rest?

Or does omnipotence imply effortlessness and creation took 6 days instead of an instant because that's God wanted it to take 6 days? That God rested only in the sense that he stopped working?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Does omnipotence imply effortlessness?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Bust Nak]

Why would an omnipotent God rest after working for 6 literal or figurative days?

I would say because he wanted to.

Did creation require 6 "days" worth of effort?

Well we don't know if he worked for the full 6 "days" or if he was done by "noon" and did other things til end of play ...

Would the quality of further creation suffer due to lack of rest?

No, if the bible is to believed everything God does is "perfect" ie complete and up to standard.

Does omnipotence imply effortlessness...?

I looked at the definition of "effort" and it said "conscious exertion of power " so I don't see why omnipotence and effort would be mutually exclusive.

Bust Nak wrote:That God rested only in the sense that he stopped working?
Your question doesn't make sense: Do you mean "DID God only rest in the sense that he stopped working?
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

One of the things I was taught as a Christian was that God didn't actually need to rest. He just chose to take the 7th day off to set a standard. He was showing mankind the importance of taking one day off just to rest and/or meditate, worship, that sort of thing. Yes, it's funny that God would set the example when it comes to keeping the Sabbath, but not when it comes to things like killing.

As a Christian I also considered the possibility that when God took a day to do something, it was a solid day's work. God actually had to think things out and plan things. As a Christian I was taught that God could simply use his magic words eg "Let there be light" and it would just happen, but no I don't think that it was just that. That would show no intelligence at all. First God had to work out how the light was going to work and how it was going to affect everything else before he said "Let there be light". So yes, a lot of planning was involved before he conjured up the magic. Maybe he did think he deserved some time to relax after 6 days of hard work? Maybe it was just a matter of having some fun on the 7th day? Surely even Gods can take time off to have fun?

Makes you wonder though whether God still takes a day off. Maybe one day each week he's not listening to anybody and leaving us all to our own devices?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: No, if the bible is to believed everything God does is "perfect" ie complete and up to standard.
In that case then the Bible cannot be believed. Even the Bible has God creating a fallen angel. In fact, he apparently created quite a few fallen angels.

He also created an imperfect Adam and Eve who were not "complete and up to standard".

So if we are to believe that everything that God does is "perfect" i.e complete and up to standard. Then the Biblical account of God cannot be true.

So we can toss the Bible onto the same stack we tossed Greek Mythology. It obviously can't be true.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

[Replying to post 4 by Divine Insight]

No I don't agree with your presmise because I don't interpret the verses you allude to in the same way. According to my interpretation of those same biblical events, the verses support my conclusion that everything God does is perfect.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

wiploc
Guru

Post #6

Post by wiploc »

Bust Nak wrote: Or does omnipotence imply effortlessness and creation took 6 days instead of an instant because that's God wanted it to take 6 days? That God rested only in the sense that he stopped working?
Yes. An omnipotent god could do what he wanted. If what he wanted was to create a universe effortlessly, he could do that.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Bust Nak]

Why would an omnipotent God rest after working for 6 literal or figurative days?

I would say because he wanted to.
This is a non answer. You could use this exact same response to literally every question regarding "why did God do X". Frankly if this is how you respond, I don't see why you bother responding at all.

"Rest" implies a cessation of work in order to recover strength. What need would there be for God to recover his strength? Did creation tire him out?

Here's hoping you have something of more substance to offer than "because he wanted to".
JehovahsWitness wrote: No, if the bible is to believed everything God does is "perfect" ie complete and up to standard.
Except you know... cancer.
JehovahsWitness wrote: I looked at the definition of "effort" and it said "conscious exertion of power " so I don't see why omnipotence and effort would be mutually exclusive.
My understanding of the OP is whether it took "effort" in the sense that it was challenging to God, exhausting to God... not simply whether God intentionally made things happen.
JehovahsWitness wrote:
That God rested only in the sense that he stopped working?
Your question doesn't make sense: Do you mean "DID God only rest in the sense that he stopped working?
Pretty easy to understand. What Bust Nak seems to be asking is whether God resting means that he relaxed, recuperated, gathered his strength, etc. as one would after a long, hard day's work? Or did he rest simply in the sense that he stopped working?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: I looked at the definition of "effort" and it said "conscious exertion of power " so I don't see why omnipotence and effort would be mutually exclusive.
My understanding of the OP is whether it took "effort" in the sense that it was challenging to God, exhausting to God... not simply whether God intentionally made things happen.

Well until instructed otherwise we have dictionary definitions to settle such matters. That is why I looked the word up in a dictionary. If the OP is NOT using words as per their definition (s)he will no doubt clarify.

Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
That God rested only in the sense that he stopped working?
Pretty easy to understand. What Bust Nak seems to be asking is whether God resting means that he relaxed, recuperated, gathered his strength, etc. as one would after a long, hard day's work? Or did he rest simply in the sense that he stopped working?

Yes, but the English language follows certain grammatical rules in order to be understood without guessing, since the constuction of the sentence is incorrect I will leave the writer to correct and clarify. My question is grammatically correct but it is MY question and might not be the thought the OP is trying to express.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
Well until instructed otherwise we have dictionary definitions to settle such matters. That is why I looked the word up in a dictionary. If the OP is NOT using words as per their definition (s)he will no doubt clarify.
Odd. And it's usually the theists that spout "but context". You realize if I went with "the dictionary says", I could dismantle the entire Bible as utter nonsense. The dictionary says a day is a 24 hour period. Going by what the dictionary says about "days", Genesis is utter nonsense.

JehovahsWitness wrote:I will leave the writer to correct and clarify.
Did you take the same approach regarding the Bible? Or did you actually take a minute to think for yourself about the apparently obvious intentions of the author?

Willum
Savant

Post #10

Post by Willum »

Hey, I hate to be a Yahweh's advocate, but omnipotence could easily be weighed against the universe, and if we assume God created the entire universe then it may have been no small task.

If we assume that God can do anything in the Universe as our definition of omnipotence, then effecting the entire universe could still be taxing.

Put another way, assume the omnipotent challenged itself... for example, we can push our own hands together (requires you to physically put your hands together and push) and challenge ourselves. God deliberately dividing himself in such a way might be analogous to the creation process.

Why not?