Why do angels have wings?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Why do angels have wings?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

A very light topic, admittedly proving its point almost as written.

Why do angels, spiritual entities have wings? Or the need to have them removed?
Obviously because wings are a legacy from a prior mythology, when angels were physical beings.

Just another bit of evidence for the impropriety of the Bible.

Pretty much a QED on the non-existence of angels.

Views of others?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Angel Wings
by Divine Insight

Angels have wings
to fly through the air
to carry God's message
from hither to there

The fact they exist
in pagan traditions
doesn't distract
from Hebrew religions

For even the heathens
who fell from God's grace
were given the angels
in spite of disgrace

This is why angels
existed before
in the myriad of fables
of pagan folklore

So though it appears
the angels were fake
they were working for God
make no mistake

Their wings are a prayer
that floats through the air
a metaphor for
a creator who's fair

So pray to the God
who's angels are hope
and be sure to pay tithes
to the bank of the Pope

:tongue:
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Why do angels have wings?

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Willum]

That would depend on ones interpretation of scripture. I am not a biblical literalist (ie I don't interpret everthing in the bible literally) so I understand that sometimes the bible speaks metaphorically as angels having wings (or God having "hands" or feet" ect). Often in the bible faithful men and women had dreams or visions of spiritual scenes and on some of these occassions they saw angels with wings (again not to be taken literally).

Sometimes in the bible angels have been known to "materialize", that is literally appear to humans as physical beings. Mostly they appeared resembling human males (men), I don't feel like doing the research at the moment but off the top of my head I can't think of any of these occassions when they appeared with wings.

I'd welcome some references in this regards,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #4

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 3 by JehovahsWitness]

https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Angel~s-Wings

and yet again, I am providing knowledge of the Bible to its believers.
Ya know, if a skeptic knows more about your religious work than you do, and is a skeptic, perhaps you should reconsider...

Just sayin'.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

bjs
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by bjs »

My view (and it won’t bother me in the slightest to find that I am wrong on this) is that angels do not have wings.

When depicted in visions, literature, paintings or sculptures, the presence of wings is symbolic. They symbolize the messenger’s mobility and speed, not a need for literal wings.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Willum
Savant

Post #6

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 5 by bjs]

and so, the Devil having them clipped? What implications does this represent?
Also note there are many solid Biblical references to angel wings.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

bjs
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by bjs »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 5 by bjs]

and so, the Devil having them clipped? What implications does this represent?
The inclusion of removal or wings from a demon is symbolic statement on the part of the artist. There can be a variety of statements that come from removing the wings (loss of power, loss of access to God, loss of glory, etc.) Very few knowledgeable artist intend the depiction of demons with or without wings to be a literal statement about wings.
Willum wrote: Also note there are many solid Biblical references to angel wings.
No, there are not. The link you provided was concerned entirely with visions from the book of Ezekiel or instructions for creating statues of angels. Both of those are examples I specifically mentioned of symbolic representations.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sometimes in the bible angels have been known to "materialize", that is literally appear to humans as physical beings. Mostly they appeared resembling human males (men), I don't feel like doing the research at the moment but off the top of my head I can't think of any of these occassions when they appeared with wings.

I'd welcome some references in this regards,

JW
Willum wrote:and yet again, I am providing knowledge of the Bible to its believers..

That would be very gracious of you if you were to actually addresss the point I raised. I invite you to re-read the point I made. Do you feel you will be able to share some insights as the the specific situations I refered to?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #9

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 8 by JehovahsWitness]

Apologies, I missed the point, even after re-reading.

Willum
Savant

Post #10

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 7 by bjs]

So you say.
But as an outsider, I reject all the Bible, I don't accept one bit over another based on another poster's opinion. You need to justify it. I believe Ezekiel, as little as any other book. Why should I disparage one over the other.

In all cases, what the Bible says about what you believe, trumps your opinion about it. Unless you can come up with some logic or facts to change it.