Why do angels have wings?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Why do angels have wings?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

A very light topic, admittedly proving its point almost as written.

Why do angels, spiritual entities have wings? Or the need to have them removed?
Obviously because wings are a legacy from a prior mythology, when angels were physical beings.

Just another bit of evidence for the impropriety of the Bible.

Pretty much a QED on the non-existence of angels.

Views of others?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Why do angels have wings?

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 9 by Willum]

No need to apologize, it's not a problem. If in future you post anything in anyway relevant to what I write, I will be sure to take note. As it is, I will leave the post in place in the hope that someone that actually grasps the point I made will feel moved to address it.

Best Regards,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #12

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 11 by JehovahsWitness]

So, before I report you...
Please elaborate on the point you were trying to make...

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by ttruscott »

I suggest that angels do not have wings... they are non-physical spirit beings who can manifest bodies in accord with the effect they want to create and the character they possess.

Wings and feathers signify:
1. Saftey in GOD: Psalm 91:1-16
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.� For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day,

2. Loving care: Psalm 17:8
Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings,

Psalm 91:4
He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.

3. HIS help in times of trouble: Exodus 19:4
You yourselves have seen what I did
to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself.
...symbol of strength and endurance.

4. Symbolic of love: Matthew 23:37
"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.

These qualities of holy righteousness, loving kindness and strength are what is found in a holy elect angel and portrayed visually as wings and feathers.

When the angels met with Abraham for lunch they did not have wings. When they stayed with Lot, they did not have wings. And how could we entertain angels without knowing it if they had wings??? Gen 19:1, Heb 13:2.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #14

Post by OnceConvinced »

Willum wrote:
and yet again, I am providing knowledge of the Bible to its believers.
Ya know, if a skeptic knows more about your religious work than you do, and is a skeptic, perhaps you should reconsider...

Just sayin'.
Moderator Comment

Please don't.

Simply debate the issues rather than taking digs at your opponents.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

William
Savant

Post #15

Post by William »

Divine Insight wrote: Angel Wings
by Divine Insight

Angels have wings
to fly through the air
to carry God's message
from hither to there

The fact they exist
in pagan traditions
doesn't distract
from Hebrew religions

For even the heathens
who fell from God's grace
were given the angels
in spite of disgrace

This is why angels
existed before
in the myriad of fables
of pagan folklore

So though it appears
the angels were fake
they were working for God
make no mistake

Their wings are a prayer
that floats through the air
a metaphor for
a creator who's fair

So pray to the God
who's angels are hope
and be sure to pay tithes
to the bank of the Pope

:tongue:

Yes - what does it all mean?

Symbolization. Wings are generally associated with freedom. An angelic being symbolically represents a being who is more free than a human being. Also one who is higher positioned to see more things.

It may also be a case of having its source in Astral experience, a common phenomena which shows an irrelevance of the distances between ancient peoples, had they known of each others existence on the same planet.
We know of this nowadays. It explains the creations of ancient myths and legends most adequately.

marco
Savant

Post #16

Post by marco »

Willum wrote:

Why do angels, spiritual entities have wings?
Views of others?
A simple question with deep roots, Willum. Daedalus in Greek mythology gave his son Icarus wings, with disastrous consequences. Obviously primitive minds saw birds flying and deduced that wings were necessary and sufficient.

Move to the 7th century and Muhammad tells his credulous listeners that he mounted a horse and because the creature had wings, it was able to fly, not just to Jerusalem (a piece of cake) but to heaven to allow him to have a chat with Allah.

Miraculously this was and is actually believed. The sign of a great story teller!

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #17

Post by imhereforyou »

Willum wrote: A very light topic, admittedly proving its point almost as written.

Why do angels, spiritual entities have wings? Or the need to have them removed?
Obviously because wings are a legacy from a prior mythology, when angels were physical beings.

Just another bit of evidence for the impropriety of the Bible.

Pretty much a QED on the non-existence of angels.

Views of others?
I've seen several views in artwork over the years of wingless angels.
Personally, the typical view of angels with wings likely has something to do with man's desire to do something he's incapable of doing originally: flying.
And the fact that the sky seemed limitless which offer possibilities of a creative mind.

Willum
Savant

Post #18

Post by Willum »

Judeo-Christians with their opinions, opinion about things the Bible is quite specific about:

Isaiah 6:2

Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.

Ezekiel 1:24

I also heard the sound of their wings like the sound of abundant waters as they went, like the voice of the Almighty, a sound of tumult like the sound of an army camp; whenever they stood still, they dropped their wings.

and others.

Apparently your opinions trump what the Bible says...
You must not have a great deal of respect for your holy book, if you contradict it when it dictates particulars.

marco
Savant

Post #19

Post by marco »

Willum wrote:

Isaiah 6:2

Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.
In a children's book this might be acceptable. For a being to sport six pennate appendages would surely hamper free movement on or off the ground.

There are many indications that a work is fictional. The quote is one of them.

Willum
Savant

Post #20

Post by Willum »

Look at this post, I mean really guys the OP is not about whether angels have wigs or not, that is the assumption.

The OP is about WHY they have wings if they are spirits.
Claiming they don't is a nice way to say, "since wings are an erroneous concept indicating the God is incorrect, we'll just pretend angels don't have wings so we can ignore this."

However the Bible says angels have wings, this is not open for debate - it is solidly in scripture. The discussion is about why they have wings.