What is the definition of sin?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

What is the definition of sin?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Another drive-by post for me, but in another OP everyone wanted to know my definition off sin:
My response was to use the Bible, I have no personal opinion.

But so many people wanted to know my opinion and to define it, I thought it would be worth creating the topic for them to discuss in.

So, here is a topic specifically about the definition of sin.
Please discuss.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Re: What is the definition of sin?

Post #2

Post by Justin108 »

Willum wrote: Another drive-by post for me, but in another OP everyone wanted to know my definition off sin:
If you have no personal opinion on what "sin" means, then why are you offended by people saying you're a sinner?

A word without a definition is a meaningless word. If you have no definition of "sin" then "sin" becomes a nonsense word. "Sin" without a definition is just about as meaningful as "flurglur". So just as it would make absolutely no sense to say "I do not flurglur, and frankly I am offended by the accusation", it also makes no sense to say "I do not sin and am offended by the accusation" if you do not have a definition for "sin".

theophile
Guru

Post #3

Post by theophile »

If you have no personal opinion on what "sin" means, then why are you offended by people saying you're a sinner?
I agree with Justin. You can't say you don't sin unless you clearly articulate what sin is and how you don't meet the criteria of being a sinner.

So it would be helpful if you offered up what you think the biblical definition of sin is as a starting point. Then we can evaluate your claim. (Who knows, maybe you are the second coming!)

My 2 cents: sin is departing from the way that we are called to, and failing to image God in our lives. That 'way' is one that actively works toward God's vision of a world where life of every kind can flourish and be at peace (see Genesis 1).

With such a definition, it is hard to imagine anyone who is without sin, or who hasn't at some point in time failed to create the conditions for life, who oppressed life, or who in some other way inhibited life in this world through what they did or failed to do.

(And let's not oversimplify my claims here with views of anti-contraception and abortion. Unchecked human population is far more threatening to life in this world than a condom is... To be clear, the way that we are called to requires far more active discernment and far less human-centrism than most Christians would like to admit.)

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ttruscott »

IMHCO:

Though this would seem to fit Theology better than Apologetics,

sin / evil is that which is not in accord with the nature and character attributes of YHWH, our creator GOD.

Love is in accord with HIS nature so all unlove is sin, evil.
HIS laws are in accord with HIS nature so all breaking of the law is sin, evil.
Doing good is in accord with HIS nature so not doing the good you should do is sin, evil.

I believe that all the usual definitions of sin from the bible can be seen to be founded on this one underlying principle, not being in accord, including being actively against, the character of GOD.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

theophile
Guru

Post #5

Post by theophile »

[Replying to ttruscott]
Love is in accord with HIS nature so all unlove is sin, evil.
HIS laws are in accord with HIS nature so all breaking of the law is sin, evil.
There is contradiction in these statements, no?

If I so loved the world, I would be willing to kill in order to save it. Yet the law prohibits killing. Or if I so loved the difference and happiness of others, I would celebrate homosexual unions. Yet the law prohibits that too.

How do you reconcile? For me, the answer is simple. The law is subordinate to love and could be sinful if taken too strictly. Yet for you these are both in accord with God's nature and inviolable.
Last edited by theophile on Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

Willum wrote: Another drive-by post for me, but in another OP everyone wanted to know my definition off sin:So, here is a topic specifically about the definition of sin.
Please discuss.
Sin is something that displeases God and there must be millions of things on the list. Maybe wearing the wrong clothes or eating the wrong food or massacring animals in the wrong way.... these horrify God.

Wrong-doing and criminality offend people and these are more important. To say bad things about God, as when one happens to blaspheme, is usually inoffensive to legal authorities, with the exception of some Muslim countries today where such sin can shorten one's life.

My own view is that when we sign out of religion, we can still do wrong but we no longer sin.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #7

Post by imhereforyou »

Willum wrote: Another drive-by post for me, but in another OP everyone wanted to know my definition off sin:

But so many people wanted to know my opinion and to define it, I thought it would be worth creating the topic for them to discuss in.

So, here is a topic specifically about the definition of sin.
Please discuss.
There are many definitions across the world - sometimes even within the same cluster of people and Christians.
It's easier and more convenient for Christians to accept the 'personalization of sin' like many do these days.
And easy is good, especially when you have only belief to anchor yourself.
The concept of sin from the bible is utterly hilarious to me so I don't subscribe to it much, if at all.
So for me, there is no sin, just right and wrong.

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: Sin is something that displeases God and there must be millions of things on the list.
Please tell, what is the source of that idea?

I have understood by the Bible that sin is basically same as to live without God, or to reject God.

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:
marco wrote: Sin is something that displeases God and there must be millions of things on the list.
Please tell, what is the source of that idea?

I have understood by the Bible that sin is basically same as to live without God, or to reject God.
Psalm 5:5 "The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity."

The word "hate" is rather strong, is it not? Sin is defined as some wrong done in the eyes of the divine. Gathering wood on the wrong day, striking a rock wrongly, laughing at a bald man ... God seems to detest the slightest deviation from the right path. He's a tough guy, biblically anyway.

If God hates sinners, it means that he regards them as rejecting him, even if they have no intention of so doing.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by dio9 »

Sin is simply disobedience , when God is the law giver and judge. God gave Adam one word of law to obey. His disobedience brought death upon him. Paul wrote " sin is death". Moses gave over 600. In the Jewish tradition of which we are inheritors sin is failing to keep the laws. It was practically impossible to keep all the laws . Paul wrote it was only Jesus , the second Adam , who kept all the laws perfectly obedient unto death. Originally traditionally sin is disobedience. We Christians now have simplified the Law to 10 commandments. To disobey any of those is sin.