Should blasphemy be punished?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Should blasphemy be punished?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Some countries count blasphemy as a capital offence. Obviously if we spend most of our lives in adoration, it is offensive to hear folk say bad things about the deity we've chosen to worship. In modern times we are sensitive to what others think.

Is it reasonable to punish people for mocking God?

Is it understandable that some may wish to execute blasphemers?

Do the Bible and Quran encourage folk to punish blasphemers?

imhereforyou
Scholar

Re: Should blasphemy be punished?

Post #2

Post by imhereforyou »

marco wrote: Some countries count blasphemy as a capital offence. Obviously if we spend most of our lives in adoration, it is offensive to hear folk say bad things about the deity we've chosen to worship. In modern times we are sensitive to what others think.

Is it understandable that some may wish to execute blasphemers?

Do the Bible and Quran encourage folk to punish blasphemers?
Is it reasonable? To me, no. Kind of silly really. How can a group of people punish others when that group can't even agree totally on blasphemy itself? And whom appointed this group to punish? God? Where's God's authority?

Yes it's totally understandable, considering the people involved though. Both religions have, at least at one time, been violent. Even today they teach violence and hate, though maybe not directly.

It's easier to hate than love, or even like. It seems to be human nature these days.

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

imhereforyou wrote:

Is it reasonable? To me, no. Kind of silly really.
Silly, perhaps, and yet in this 21st century we have people condemned to death for blasphemy. When one invites God into one's house or town, then one invites barbarity.... unless his beard has been shaved and his hair washed.

Love can come easily too. But people seem to have a predilection for seeing a human die, and all they need is an excuse. God offers one. Homosexuals were condemned to death in civilised Britain in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Today we needn't mock God - it suffices to draw a picture of his Prophet for death sentences to be passed. We have one foot in the Dark Ages - or some have.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ttruscott »

The law to put to death the blasphemer has been relegated to the judgment day since believers are not any more obligated to keep the law but to trust in Christ and the fake believers (Cain) follow along in word.

Believers fulfil the law of Leviticus 24:10-17 about Shelomith's son, by accepting fully the absolute necessity of the banishment of the non-elect reprobate to the outer darkness for their crimes while we attempt to fulfill love by treating the reprobate with as much loving kindness as we can while GOD prepares them for destruction.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

ttruscott wrote:

Believers fulfil the law of Leviticus 24:10-17 about Shelomith's son, by accepting fully the absolute necessity of the banishment of the non-elect reprobate to the outer darkness for their crimes while we attempt to fulfil love by treating the reprobate with as much loving kindness as we can while GOD prepares them for destruction.
God ordered, via Moses, that the unnamed son be taken out an stoned to death. No civilised judge today would make such an order. Such a story tells me that we are not reading about a being with feeling; he was constructed to impose lessons on the unruly.

I find myself at the other end of your theology; you seem to find comfort in what I would find alarming. Tastes differ. It is ironic that humans should treat the reprobate with kindness (civilisation) and God should prepare destruction (barbarity).

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

marco wrote: Some countries count blasphemy as a capital offence. Obviously if we spend most of our lives in adoration, it is offensive to hear folk say bad things about the deity we've chosen to worship. In modern times we are sensitive to what others think.

No, a god would be bigger than that. His ego would not be that delicate that he would be hurt or offended. It's the humans that take offence, not God.
marco wrote: Is it understandable that some may wish to execute blasphemers?
Yes, because many believers are very insecure in their own faith, so it's not surprising they will react badly when their god or beliefs are poked fun at.

No one is being hurt here, let alone any god. It's just simply humans being overly sensitive.
marco wrote: Do the Bible and Quran encourage folk to punish blasphemers?
I believe the bible does, after all one of the commandments is "Don't take the lord's name in vain", however there is no way that could be the command of a perfect godlike being. Only a very insecure, childish god who is easily offended. That suggests to me that the laws relating to blasphemy in the bible are man made ones, due to insecurities of believers who are easily offended. So making blasphemy punishable by death is one way to deal with people who offend you.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by ttruscott »

marco wrote:
ttruscott wrote:

Believers fulfil the law of Leviticus 24:10-17 about Shelomith's son, by accepting fully the absolute necessity of the banishment of the non-elect reprobate to the outer darkness for their crimes while we attempt to fulfil love by treating the reprobate with as much loving kindness as we can while GOD prepares them for destruction.
God ordered, via Moses, that the unnamed son be taken out an stoned to death. No civilised judge today would make such an order. Such a story tells me that we are not reading about a being with feeling; he was constructed to impose lessons on the unruly.
The story tells us how far we have come from GOD's justice...
I find myself at the other end of your theology; you seem to find comfort in what I would find alarming. Tastes differ. It is ironic that humans should treat the reprobate with kindness (civilisation) and God should prepare destruction (barbarity).
Ummmm, there is much about the world that is beautiful and much about our lives that is personally fulfilling for both the reprobate and the elect. This is what I consider when I think that HE makes the sun and the rain to fall on all men to their benefit...treating those HIS Justice hates with as much love and care as HE can while preparing their execution.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

marco wrote: Is it reasonable to punish people for mocking God?
No. Especially when it can't even be demonstrated the the God itself actually exists.

If a God actually existed then it might be reasonable for that God to punish people who mock him. But even that would only be reasonable if the God himself had proven his existence to the people. Otherwise they would just be mocking something they don't even believe exists.

Case in point: I was born and raised into Christianity and taught the Christian Bible describes God and is the word of God.

Later I came to the realization that the people who taught me this have no clue whether or not this is even true.

Finally when I point out why the God described in the Bible would be an absolute idiotic fool and this is the reason I don't believe the Bible describes any actual God,...

Have I just "mocked" God? :-k

Hardly. To the contrary, I simply explained why I reject utterly absurd stories that claim to be about a God.

To explain why stories are too utterly stupid to be about a God, most certainly isn't "mocking" any God. How can that be considered to be "mocking" a God when the what is actually being explained is why I don't believe the stories could be about any God?

People need to realize that explaining why something is unbelievable is not the same as "mocking" it.

If I say that the Biblical stories are too stupid to be from any God, I am most certainly NOT claiming that any God is stupid.

I think this is where a lot of people make a big mistake.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

ttruscott wrote:
The story tells us how far we have come from GOD's justice...
Unfortunately we don't all travel at the same pace. Some of us endorse God's primal cry for stoning, and happily stone today, under divine guidance. God doesn't correct the error, if error it is.
ttruscott wrote:

This is what I consider when I think that HE makes the sun and the rain to fall on all men to their benefit...treating those HIS Justice hates with as much love and care as HE can while preparing their execution.
You place the telescope to your blind eye. Sun and rain bring misery as well as joy. When we admire the beauty of a tiger burning in the forests of the night, as Blake saw, we should reflect that God made a beautiful killer.

The God you describe, hypocritically bestowing largesse on those who are about to perish, is one to fear, not love.

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

Of course not.

However, try pointing out a transgender is still a man and you may well find out that blasphemy laws do still exist in modern society.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."