Should blasphemy be punished?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Post #1

Post by marco »

Some countries count blasphemy as a capital offence. Obviously if we spend most of our lives in adoration, it is offensive to hear folk say bad things about the deity we've chosen to worship. In modern times we are sensitive to what others think.

Is it reasonable to punish people for mocking God?

Is it understandable that some may wish to execute blasphemers?

Do the Bible and Quran encourage folk to punish blasphemers?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by ttruscott »

marco wrote:
ttruscott wrote:
The story tells us how far we have come from GOD's justice...
Unfortunately we don't all travel at the same pace. Some of us endorse God's primal cry for stoning, and happily stone today, under divine guidance. God doesn't correct the error, if error it is.
It was not an error but different strokes for different folks, every sinful elect needs his personal reasons addressed. These people are sown into the world in waves so all with similar reasons can be addressed.

But my GOD has indeed arranged for this type execution for this type of sin to be curtailed and I don't accept that those who continue to express their loyalty that way are in fact worshipping GOD.

The Pharisees used their religion to stand against their GOD, their Messiah. GOD has constantly turned 90º to see who will follow HIM and who is just a religious fanatic with no understanding of HIM. In this way He is constantly weeding out those who are Cain, who fill the church with false worship.
The God you describe, hypocritically bestowing largesse on those who are about to perish, is one to fear, not love.
Why let your animosity for my theology cause you to claim that Jesus was a hypocrite or thought the Father was a hypocrite? Matthew 5:45 ...that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. He defines love as acting with the best intention against even your enemies...and you scorn Him?
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Should blasphemy be punished?

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

marco wrote:

Humans have been given no such authorization. It's reasonable for God to punish those that mock him should He judge it necessary

Is it understandable that some may wish to execute blasphemers? Yes.

I cannot speak for the Quran but as far as the bible is concerned , the Israelites under the Mosaic law were instructed to execute Blaphemers.

Christians have no such authorization.

RELATED POSTS
viewtopic.php?p=894959#p894959

Picking up sticks : were biblical Sabbath laws reasonable?
viewtopic.php?p=1015284#p1015284
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

marco
Savant

Post #13

Post by marco »

ttruscott wrote:
Why let your animosity for my theology cause you to claim that Jesus was a hypocrite or thought the Father was a hypocrite? Matthew 5:45 ...that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. He defines love as acting with the best intention against even your enemies...and you scorn Him?
I have absolutely no animosity towards your theology which I barely understand. I said the invented God acted hypocritically if he intended to punish while offering treats. This is observation, not obscure opinion.

As for God sending tsunamis out of love, there's a nice verse that covers the question:

“The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.�

Through science we know why rain falls and why rainbows appear. It is not blasphemous to say God has nothing to do with it, yet there are alive today people who would happily behead a person for saying so.

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

marco wrote: Is it reasonable to punish people for mocking God?

If belief in god were based on solid reasoning, there would be no reason for believers to fear dissent. The fact that any do to the extent some believe execution for blasphemy is justified, indicates a deep doubt they aren't willing to face directly.

Murder to assuage one's fears is never justified. The solution is to face one's doubt head on and see where it leads. If this is done courageously, it will lead to the same conclusion the "blasphemers" have reached.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #15

Post by OnceConvinced »

[Replying to post 8 by Divine Insight]

Wise arguments as usual, DI.

I have to say that the fact the bible makes a big deal about mocking god and how it's blasphemy and worthy of death, that to me must surely be a dead give away that it's men's rules and not anything any god came up with. As if a god would get offended as easily as a human being would.

No god would be that insecure, surely? Human beings would be that insecure though, so it's no wonder they get so upset when their god is mocked or it even seems like one is mocking their god.

It's ALL about men's anger and their bloodthirsty desire for revenge if you ever dare say anything against their god.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #16

Post by imhereforyou »

marco wrote:
imhereforyou wrote:

Is it reasonable? To me, no. Kind of silly really.
Silly, perhaps, and yet in this 21st century we have people condemned to death for blasphemy. When one invites God into one's house or town, then one invites barbarity.... unless his beard has been shaved and his hair washed.

Love can come easily too. But people seem to have a predilection for seeing a human die, and all they need is an excuse. God offers one. Homosexuals were condemned to death in civilised Britain in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Today we needn't mock God - it suffices to draw a picture of his Prophet for death sentences to be passed. We have one foot in the Dark Ages - or some have.
I guess mocking God has its own merits, depending on to whom you speak.
But the concept of "God offering (or as) an excuse" is a good one - one I think too many have accepted consciously or not.
It's a shame really but alas, that's the world we live in. We can only strive to make it better. Perhaps by following Jesus's example is a good way to start. But definitely not by following the examples of many of his followers. Kinda' ironic, really.