Can God change his mind?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Can God change his mind?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

So, God seems to be capable of doing anything, even the impossible.
Is he capable of changing his mind?

In an interesting conversation, ToN and Claire Evans discovered that some prophecy had not been fulfilled (and never would be). (Satan asks for forgiveness, now what?")

Does this mean that God changed his mind, or that the consequence of the prophecy just wasn't that important compared to a result he preferred?

Is God capable of changing his mind? If he can't, does that make him imperfect, or no longer all-powerful?

What are the ramifications?

Willum
Savant

Re: Can God change his mind?

Post #11

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 10 by 1213]
Is that what you would want? You would pray for a worse situation?

Why not pray for a better one? One where right and wrong are made apparent even to skeptics, and no one need eternal suffering?

Why not pray, pray that he makes the world better because everyone desires this?
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Savant

Re: Can God change his mind?

Post #12

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: Is that what you would want? You would pray for a worse situation?
No, it was the thing that you would pray, if you want God to change His mind.
Willum wrote:Why not pray for a better one? One where right and wrong are made apparent even to skeptics, and no one need eternal suffering?
I believe they are apparent, but some just want evil things. And actually, I think it is not question of belief, but question of understanding.
Willum wrote:Why not pray, pray that he makes the world better because everyone desires this?
It would mean that unrighteous will die, which I believe will eventually happen, it is just no yet right moment for it.